Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
UTB 41332 Cape Disappointment disaster in 1976
Last Post 16 Jan 2018 08:55 PM by JanM. 46 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
12 Jun 2013 06:53 AM
Welcome aboard, sir. Please feel free to jump in and talk to these young recruits and offer some guidance. Thank you for sharing a little more of the story. I know alcoholism from immediate family, it is scary what it will do to a human being. I'm sorry you lost a friend to the disease.
Sector NY, Staten Island
boneil

--
27 Jun 2013 09:39 AM
@dcencak - CG 41450 was at Station Coinjock, NC and CG 41451 were stationed at Station Oak Island, NC respectfully. I was at both units. Coinjock from 90-93 and Oak Island from 96-00.

BM1 Stiegleder was BMCS Stiegleder as the OINC of Oak Island when I was there. As to the renumbering of the boats CG 41451 at Oak Island was rumored to be the 332, although I think it is a rumor, but BM1/BMCS Stiegleder being at both units does make one wonder.

The last UTB's to be built were 41500's. I dont think that number went above 41505 if it made that high, but without doubt I have physically seen CG 41501.
yelsmekjay@live.com

--
16 Nov 2013 09:57 PM
It seems after 36 years I would forget some of the sinking but it would be a disservice to all involved. I will remember Ray, Greg and Al until my dying breath and ask for their forgivness with my last thoughts.Last night was the thirty sixth time I have lived and they died.The advice I can offer is don't take your responsibilities as a coxswain lightly because you will live with your decisions forever. I have made peace with myself but the pain will never subside. I want to remember everthing because someone has too.BM3 Jay Kemsley.
Bm2Gooch

--
18 Feb 2014 06:43 AM
Just want to say I was stationed with BMC Larry Hicks form 1976 to 1977 at Station Oregon Inlet, Gru Cape Hatteras. He was he Chief of the station, we ran the 44320 and several other boats. He was an exceptional chief
I learned a lot from him, especially driving the 44footer in breaking surf at night, how to 'back-down' in surf to throw the 'monkey's fist' to an aground fishng trawler and most important............
God bless,
BM2 "Gooch" Taniguchi
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
18 Feb 2014 08:13 AM
Welcome to all. thank you for sharing this important part of Coast Guard history with us. For remembering things, people, places, sometimes best left in the deep part of our memory. I appreciate all you have shared.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Deep blue water

--
20 Feb 2014 11:13 AM
I can not put into words how much I value this discussion. Thank you so much for your service and for sharing with us.
Tukpd66

--
18 Jun 2015 11:58 AM
I happened to be stationed at Cape D at this time as well. I was out playing volleyball in town that fateful night. I returned to the station and saw that the whole fleet was out-immediately knowing something big had happened. I went in and was told to get some sleep because I was going to go out first thing in the morning to join the search. I went out the following morning to a nasty, angry bar. The bar was so bad they had to cancel the remainder of the morning boats. My boat ended up losing an engine and we went out to the lightship. they repaired it out there and we came back in later that morning. I know some of you and would love to catch up. Steve Gurr
yelsmekjay@live.com

--
14 Nov 2015 10:50 PM
Once again the witch of November comes early. I don't know what to say except I don't want to forget what happened but if anyone ever wants something about the 41332 clarified I'd be glad to share my memories. Thirty nine years. Next year I'm going up there for the fourty year turn and talk to the class if they would let me. I've tried to live my life as well as I could. I remember my ex wife asking why don't you take off your shoes and relax. I would stay comoletely dressed until bedtime waiting for something. Its a habit I still do. Waiting for a call. At least I slowed down eating. I'm 60 living on a boat and am still a sailor. If you are ever near Sta. Channel Islands Cal. call and we can have a beer or something.8052534094. Jay Kemsley. Semper Paratus.
yelsmekjay@live.com

--
14 Nov 2015 10:54 PM
Sorry I'm off a year. It's a bitch gettin' old. 38 years and counting.
sleepless 1

--
09 Feb 2016 05:48 AM
I am the MK. that was offered the next day off if I would take a nighttime training run up river for the school by BMC Hicks (God rest his sole). I have sat and stared at this Forum and subject a long, long time before I picked up the keyboard as that night is just as fresh as yesterday to me. Sorry to hear about BMC Hicks, he was an "outstanding Chief, Instructor, and Person"
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
09 Feb 2016 11:01 AM
Welcome Sleepless. Feel free to participate or just read. We all appreciate what you've done, where you've been. Thank you.
Sector NY, Staten Island
bm3ely

--
25 May 2016 07:53 AM
this is re: an old post so dont know if you are still watching, but, a couple of weeks prior to the loss of the 332 several crew from cape D came to seattle and on my boat, the 41387, we attempted to demonstrate whether cpr could be performed by a swimmer in the water. I always wondered if any of those guys were on the 332 when it went down?. please reply if you have any knowledge of this. Just read online that my old boat the 41387 has been abandoned and now scrapped by washington state DNR. Sad.
OldBosn75to92

--
14 Jun 2016 08:47 PM
Found this page the other day when I was talking with a coworker about the Columbia River bar. The various comments and accounts bring back many memories. I was XO at Grays Harbor that fateful November. First, for Jay Kemsley; thank you for your account, after all these years it cements for me some of the things I have always believed but were never confirmed by facts. It was frustrating to have lost two of your crew and not know the details of what happened that night, to get some sense of the how and why. I have always been convinced that Greg refused to leave Albin behind that night. Greg was an excellent, strong swimmer and Albin was not. Greg would never have left a shipmate. A few day later two of us from the station had the task of going to Greg’s house to collect any Coast Guard issue gear he might have had at his house. In one of the bedrooms, Greg had set up what I call a lifeboatman’s war room. He had a chart on the wall with the location plotted of every boat call he had made. His wife Linda pointed out that he kept a journal documenting each case; date, time, location, type of vessel, type of case, action summary, lessons learned, etc., etc. We all knew that Greg was one of our best Coxswains, but this discovery cemented in my mind that I had met and had the privilege to serve with a true professional. During the next 15 years that I spent in and around the lifeboat community, I only met a handful that reminded me of the professionalism of Greg Morris. Each time I was on a 41 footer, and painfully there were many, I couldn’t help but think about Greg and Albin in that forward compartment and how truly miraculous it was that those who survived managed to escape. Even those of us remotely involved yet connected to this incident have been changed by it.
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
15 Jun 2016 09:57 AM
Old Bosn, welcome. From all the recollections of that night, it sounds like we lost some of our finest Coast Guardsmen that night. Thank you for your memories and for sharing. It can't be easy to retell and relive that fateful night.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Basic Member
Basic Member
scoutdad25619

--
18 Jun 2016 04:06 PM
To all of you who were involved in that horrible night: Thank you for sharing with us your experience. As tough as it is to remember, there are lessons. I'm a simple AUX boat-crewman; new to the the Coast Guard way of doing things on the water. I read your accounts and I learn. I can't help but believe there are others of all status' (AD, RES, AUX) who do the same. You all honor the memories of those who were lost by sharing the stories. These accounts not only teach us some of the history of our service, it might just save a life.
You have my respect, and my gratitude.
DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
Wheels

--
30 Dec 2017 09:31 PM
As an SNQM aboard the CGC WHITE BUSH (WLM 542), I was recalled the day after I was married for this incident. We were involved in the aftermath, trying to find and raise the 41332. We worked with the IRIS (WLB 395) who embarked the USN dive team. We set buoys so the IRIS could 4 point moor and send the divers down. Hard to forget when it is your own family, and the Coast Guard has been and always will be family.
JanM

--
16 Jan 2018 08:55 PM
Hello all, Beautiful memorial January 13, 2018 at Station Cape Disappointment, Ilwaco, WA. Hopefully we meet next year.  Gene Witham was the Marine and Fisheries Officer in the HH-3F Silorsky helo that spotted the seven coasties hanging on the propeller shafts and rudder of the upturned 41332 November 15, 1977. He devoted an entire chapter in “Denning Coyotes and Swimming with Sharks” to the rescue events of that night. He is “the fifth man” of coastie history.  If anyone is still surviving, please contact myself here or Gene Witham gwitham000@centurytel.net
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement