Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
My chances?
Last Post 16 Feb 2015 04:54 PM by Darrell Parks. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dannyboy

--
08 Feb 2015 12:51 PM
    So I am 19 years old and have been wanting to join the active duty coast guard for awhile now. I am planning on waiting until winter of 2015 to really make a final decision and start my process with a recruiter. I am currently in community college and plan on getting at least 60 credits before joining. But there are some things in my past that I have done and would have not done if I knew I wanted to join the Coast Guard today.

-Over a year ago I got a MIP charge but it was expunged with community service that I completed. I know that criminal activity is not "expunged" with military purposes but still.
    -Also, about 6 months ago I was at a university college before transferring to community college, and I went out one night with all my friends, got drunk and hit my head walking up to my room. I went to the hospital but I had no concussion or anything wrong and I was free to go. I did get a disorderly conduct ticket that I just had to pay off the fine, I did not even need to go to court. 
    -I have no other criminal past history and all I am wondering is if I stand a chance? I have seen similar cases throughout this forum, some saying yes and some no. 

I want to be an AST and I am just stressed that even with a few years after these incidents and not knowing that I ever wanted to join the Coast Guard that it will haunt me. Any insight would be great. Thank you
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    08 Feb 2015 01:27 PM
    No one here has a crystal ball. A recruiter is the only one that can answer those questions. With two alcohol related incidents, you're behind the 8 ball. The CG, like all branches of the military, have very little tolerance for that kind of stuff. Had you been in the CG when you got the MIP, there's a good chance you would've been bounced out. If a recruiter had to pick between you and someone with the exact same qualifcations, but no history of alcohol issues, who do you think he'll pick? All this isn't to say you won't be able to enlist, but you're going to have to work much harder at selling yourself to the recruiter.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    dannyboy

--
    08 Feb 2015 01:33 PM
    thank you for the insight. I'll definitely follow up with a recruiter and hope for the best.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    08 Feb 2015 05:45 PM
    I'd be more concerned with your continual under age drinking if I was a recruiter. That seems to be a 1 and done thing in the Coast Guard these days for the most part.
    dannyboy

--
    08 Feb 2015 07:55 PM
    Thank you for the answer, and I know it does look like I have a tendency to drink underage, but I was just experiencing my first year in college, and made a few mistakes. I find it hard for them to believe that college kids do not drink underage.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    08 Feb 2015 08:09 PM
    I concur that the underage drinking issues is the biggest hurdle and one you need to take full control over. However, I would not let that negative mishap stop my pursuit of joining the Coast Guard. I would get everything squared away, have a nice professional looking portofilio filled with all the nesessary documents the recruiter might want including the MIP and other dinking incident, to show that they are both squared away and in the past. Study up on the CG, ask pertinant questions to learn more, then visit your recruiter with a strong understanding of what the CG does and why you would be a good fit and what you could contribute to the CG along with a short essay to those statements and facts...be confident yet humble in your approach to that. Dress for success and show them you are a different person who has learned from past mistakes and no longer are drinking and are serious about your furture and proudley serving your country.

Stay out of trouble, distance yourself away from those who party and drink, develope a new set of non drinking and non partying type of friends if necessary, complete school like you are planning focusing on improving your grades, get involved in the community and volunteer programs and go for it! Stay on taget and shoot for the bullseye and see how your recruiter receives you. But no matter how determined and positve, which I hope is full out max...always have a Plan B just incase the recruiter is a no go on minors drinking or something else out of the blue they see that you did not plan for.

I had a great kid, top notch would have been a fabulous addition to our fire department put on his polygrapgh packet that he was last intoxicated the evening after completing the interview with us for being hired. He was 19 and it was a deal breaker for us, everything else was great and he was a for sure hire until that moment. Thankfully he did not let it beat him and he came back the following year and no longer was drinking and I hired him. An excellent firefighter. Moral of that short story is show the recruiter that the underage drinking is behind you and you no longer drink and/or do that type of stuff and are much more mature now...see what happens.

We wish you the best and please do not let anyone discourage you from your dream. Set your goals and strive to achieve them anyway possible!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    dannyboy

--
    08 Feb 2015 08:15 PM
    You do not know how helpful this was. Thank you so much and I will give 110% of everything you told me to do and I won't give up or let those things stop me from pursuing into the CG. I appreciate your help and thank you again.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Feb 2015 10:22 AM
    I find it hard for them to believe that college kids do not drink underage.

It's not hard to believe. But, if you have a tendency to drink underage in college, then the odds of you drinking underage in the military are that much higher. Get caught once and you get discharged. That means the loss of a trained person at the unit that the unit has to absorp. Extra workload to process you out, while everyone else takes up your slack. Plus, the blow to unit morale when someone does something blatantly against policy. Underage drinking was always a no-go for me. Another recruiter may feel differently.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    dannyboy

--
    09 Feb 2015 06:25 PM
    You're right, it does look bad, but I would never jeopardize my career in the Coast Guard to drink, that is why I would never do it again. Like I said, it was my first few months into college and I was in a new setting and surrounding and took it a little too far but I grew from those mistakes. Thanks for your answer, though.
    Darrell Parks

--
    16 Feb 2015 04:54 PM
    Just remember, drinking is not "mandatory". No HAS to drink, gave it up over 40 years ago and never regretted it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement