Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Bootcamp - What you need to know
Last Post 12 May 2016 06:19 PM by Rich32. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Codyjsmithers

--
20 Feb 2015 03:29 PM
    Hello, I have a question about boot camp regarding all the "need to knows" while you are there and how strict they are about knowing these things. I myself always try to be pro-active, in which this summer I will be starting my work out routine so im the most physically fit as possible when im ready for BT. I am 6'1 170 LBS, great swimmer, somewhat fit/tone but I have a desk job right now... so im sure you get the rest. I understand you need to learn your ranks, chain in command and all that fancy stuff, but what exactly do you need to know prior to going so I go the most prepared as possible? Thanks for your help! P.S. Sorry for the spacing its not allowing me to type in paragraphs its running everything together.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    20 Feb 2015 03:49 PM
    You new recruits have it easy now. When I went through all we had was the Helmsman. Nothing else was provided nor were we given any idea what we would need to know beyond that.

Don't worry about anything outside of the Helmsman and the Recruit Pocket Guide. You need all of that knowledge anyways to get your Recruit Qualification Standard signed before shipping.

You're not meant to know every little thing about basic training before arriving. What's the fun of that?

You will be fine if you can do everything in the RQS.
    Codyjsmithers

--
    20 Feb 2015 03:52 PM
    Very true, I guess its just my over readiness kicking in lol. I definitely want to have as much knowledge as possible though.
    aquaman

--
    20 Feb 2015 04:10 PM
    They are VERY strict about knowing this stuff. I cannot begin to stress how important it is to know your required knowledge, you will be tested on it every day and if yo don't know it, then your gonna push for it. If your shipmate doesn't know it, guess what, youre gonna push for it. Im telling ya the more you know before you go the easier it is gonna be. I had already memorized everything in the Helmsman by the time I got to Cape May and Im sure glad I did, because there will be more stuff outside of that you will have to learn, and if you already got your other stuff down, then you will be a leg up. Like I said, if your shipmates dont know it then your gonna suffer to, so if you know it before you can help them learn it and save yourself some sweat.

The biggest reason knowing your required knowledge is so important is that it can be your lifesaver, if you get in trouble for something and they start questioning you on required knowledge and you dont know it, youre only digging yourself into a deeper hole. But if you do know it and can spout it out verbatim, you can save yourself. Knowing this stuff is honestly one of the best ways to keep from getting reverted.

Right now learn:

The Coast Guard Ethos
    Rates and Ranks - That means also knowing the shoulder boards, collar devices, rating insignias, sleeves and titles of everyone from an E-1 to an O-10
    11 General Orders
    The Phonetic Alphabet
    Your Chain of Command - You may be able to contact someone who can give you the names but at least know the titles of those in the chain of command.
    and As much of the nautical terminology as possible

SHoot me a PM if you wanna know some of the other stuff youre gonna have to learn after that, or if you want any other tips and tricks for boot camp, I got a few small tips that may not seem like much but can be a huge help and keep you out of alot of trouble.

Hope this helps man
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    20 Feb 2015 04:52 PM
    My son shipped with two others three weeks ago. That MEPS had been closed the day before due to weather, so twice as many were shipping to the other services that day. The three of them sat in the USO cafe with their Helmsman, the Pocket guide and and flashcards studying. People kept coming up to them asking what they were doing. They were constantly explaining they had to know this stuff before they went.
    aquaman

--
    20 Feb 2015 05:02 PM
    That is exactly why Coast Guard Boot camp is considered one of the hardest basic trainings in the military right now, you are challenged more academically than any of the other branches.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Feb 2015 08:18 PM
    If you desire to be so proactive and ready, why are you waiting until summer to begin working out? The Coast Guard goes on in all sorts of weather. May as well get used to it now and start training singer target than later.

Wow, Chief! I don't believe I've ever heard the "if you had it like I did back in the day" from you. But.... You are completely right. Even the stuff that is available today compared to 6 years ago when my son went in. It amazes me. Facebook groups for companies, pictures being posted, the amount of accessible knowledge ahead of time... Really quite an advancement.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    21 Feb 2015 07:23 AM
    I definitely hate saying "back in my day..." But this is one of those times where there is a distinct difference in what the recruitment process was like 13 years ago and today. There really are very few suprises at basic now if you dig enough on the internet.
    Codyjsmithers

--
    22 Feb 2015 12:31 PM
    Thank you all for your answers and advice. You are right guard i suppose now is better than waiting. As far as your answer AQUA is there some time of guide or resource out there to study from?

Thanks!
    aquaman

--
    23 Feb 2015 03:09 PM
    Like I stated in my previous post, the helmsman is the best starting point because that covers most of the general knowledge you will be required to learn during the first 3 or 4 weeks, so if you have those down you will be in a good spot because that will give you more time to learn the otherrequired knowledge you will receive when you get there.

During indoc weekend you will get a packet with knowledge that you must memorize. Besides the stuff I already stated, you are also gonna have to memorize types of knots and their purpose, the types of fire arms the Coast Guard uses and its nomenclature, basic Coast Guard history, fire science, nautical terminology, weapon safety rules, line handling safety rules and the Coast Guard Song.

Send me a PM and I'll give you more specifics and some stuff you can study.
    Codyjsmithers

--
    24 Feb 2015 09:23 AM
    Posted By aquaman on 23 Feb 2015 03:09 PM
    Like I stated in my previous post, the helmsman is the best starting point because that covers most of the general knowledge you will be required to learn during the first 3 or 4 weeks, so if you have those down you will be in a good spot because that will give you more time to learn the otherrequired knowledge you will receive when you get there.

During indoc weekend you will get a packet with knowledge that you must memorize. Besides the stuff I already stated, you are also gonna have to memorize types of knots and their purpose, the types of fire arms the Coast Guard uses and its nomenclature, basic Coast Guard history, fire science, nautical terminology, weapon safety rules, line handling safety rules and the Coast Guard Song.

Send me a PM and I'll give you more specifics and some stuff you can study.

Thanks aquaman will do!
    Rich32

--
    12 May 2016 06:19 PM
    good stuff to know! thanks!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement