Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Help! I have a lot of questions on the CG
Last Post 14 Mar 2015 11:23 AM by Apollo. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
Stasiamaz2323

--
23 Feb 2015 08:21 PM
    My boyfriend and I are thinking about becoming members of the CG community and we plan to get married next year and hopefully getting stationed next summer. We will be together for 2 years when we get married (me 18, him 19) I just want to know basic facts like... How long after we get stationed will he get deployed and how long will he be gone. How does base living work? How much does average living cost? And how long are you enlisted in the coast guard is it/ can it be longer than 4 years?? Please help
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    23 Feb 2015 09:00 PM
    Well, depending on the type of unit, he may never deploy. If he's at a small boat station or Sector, he won't deploy. If he's on a cutter it can be from 5 days at a time to 90 days at a time, depending on the type of cutter. You may or may not live on base, again depending on the type of unit he goes to. If you live off base, the CG will give you a housing allowance, called BAH. This is dependent on pay grade, ZIP Code, and whether or not he has dependents. Enlistments are typically four years at a time.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Feb 2015 06:07 AM
    The first couple of years in the military can be very stressful. The first couple of years married can be very stressful. You can continue your relationship but your best bet would be to enlist, go to your own independent first assignments. If the relationship is still alive and well after you both go through A School, then consider getting married. One of the things you are incorrectly assuming is that you will be assigned close enough to one another to live together as a married couple. I have known married military couples that are not stationed anywhere close. A good friend of mine, she and her fiancé thought they would be closer together... She was in northern Virginia, he was in Florida. She was pregnant. They got married and still were not assigned together for quite some time. Another set of friends, they both asked to be stationed in Alaska, didn't have to be the same spot, just the same state. Both of us in Alaska... She got Valdez, Alaska. He got Clearwater, Florida. They were both almost 20 years in the CG and senior enlisted personnel.

You really need to each establish your position in the CG and in your lives. If he is worth having, you will wait for him. If you are worth having, he will wait for you. If not, the relationship ends, it will not be the end of the world. Don't take on far more than you are prepared to swallow at this young of an age.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Codyjsmithers

--
    24 Feb 2015 08:29 AM
    +1 to Old Guard. It would be EXTREMELY rare for you two to get stationed together. If you both want careers in the military just know it would be extremely hard and you would most likely never see each other besides on leave/vacation.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    24 Feb 2015 10:10 PM
    I wouldn't say its rare, I would just say if you both are in ratings with a lot of billets and locations and then you manage to get on the same transfer schedule then I would say your chances are pretty good. As you move up in rank the billets become less and then more competitive which is why it gets harder. FG is a married member to member and after some tweaking of a couple years her husband and her are in the same location, different unit, and on the same rotation schedule I believe.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    24 Feb 2015 10:21 PM
    I think it's just the OP's boyfriend that would actually be enlisting; I think she's using we in reference to them being married and so she would be a part of the CG community that way.

Of course I could be wrong.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    25 Feb 2015 06:03 AM
    Posted By Codyjsmithers on 24 Feb 2015 09:29 AM
    +1 to Old Guard. It would be EXTREMELY rare for you two to get stationed together. If you both want careers in the military just know it would be extremely hard and you would most likely never see each other besides on leave/vacation.

Definitely not extremely rare.  You should be prepared to be apart at some point, but I'd day most member-to-member couples spend a good chunk of their active duty time stationed together.  We have several couples here stationed together because we have several units in a 15 miles area.  You have to be flexible and you have to be in rates that allow for a variety of places and billet types.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    25 Feb 2015 06:19 AM
    Posted By ebee on 24 Feb 2015 11:21 PM
    I think it's just the OP's boyfriend that would actually be enlisting; I think she's using we in reference to them being married and so she would be a part of the CG community that way.

Of course I could be wrong.

That was the impression I got also.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    25 Feb 2015 07:23 AM
    I didn't get the impression she's enlisting as well
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Feb 2015 09:57 AM
    Then I just don't like the wording of all of it. WE are going to boot camp, WE are being stationed, WE are joining the community. I get it, it is a package deal, you get the active duty member, the spouse is there as well. But when Jim went to boot camp, WE didn't go, he did. When he was assigned to Kodiak, WE didn't get orders, he did. When he went to A School, WE didn't go, he did.

If you are saying HE is going to boot camp and I would like to know what OUR married life will be like... state it correctly. When saying WE are joining, I took it to mean WE ARE JOINING. For a first post, it truly wasn't clear. I still stand by my post as far as let him go to his duty station, you go to college or whatever and have your individual lives, be sure you are going to withstand the pressures of military life. No one could tell me different when I was 18... Look how it ended. Jim went on with his career, without me. It is a very difficult transition to make child to wife and then add in wife as a military wife... Better to know you have your life together first. He has his life together first. Then make a run as a couple in life.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    25 Feb 2015 02:15 PM
    I say we cut her a break this time. hopefully we answered all of your questions Stasia, and if not, feel free to ask more or get in touch with a recruiter. Maybe make sure the questions are more concise...
    cjnull25

--
    14 Mar 2015 10:19 AM
    I am just a wannabe, take my answers with a grain of salt.

(How long after we get stationed will he get deployed and how long will he be gone), Depending on what unit and their rotation schedule it could be as little as 6 months to as long as 2+ years before he deploys, also he may never deploy in his 4 years, no one knows. Read this for deployment time, they seem to know what they are talking about. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=A0LEV78BWQRVrx4AGC4nnIlQ?qid=20080719194347AAT2jGr

(How does base living work?), not sure, I believe spouse and kids get actual housing first over just a spouse. they should give you a stipend of tax free money to help pay for an apartment though.

(How much does average living cost?), Depends. living in Massachusetts will be more expensive than living in Georgia. for example things such as food prices,gas,heat,cooling,amenities,electric,water,etc,etc vary across the US same as in a civilian life. although you may get extra housing allowance in a more expensive economy.

(And how long are you enlisted in the coast guard is it/ can it be longer than 4 years?) It always is 8 years technically. but active duty can go from 2 to 6 (possibly 8) years depending on what he wants to do. Every contract has a minimum of 8 years. Example, if Joe signs up for the military for 4 years active duty he is also signing up for 4 in the Individual Ready Reserve (similar to draft, and you are not "in" the military anymore). Likewise if Joe signs up for 6 years active duty he signs up for 2 years in Individual Ready Reserve. Also if Joe likes the military he can reenlist after his contract ends. And if Joe is tired of moving around but still wants to fight for his country he can sign into the Active Reserve (or, simply, the Reserves) instead of the Inactive Ready Reserves and still be part of the military while being able to work a civilian job as well and not having to move around, although he will still deploy.
    Apollo

--
    14 Mar 2015 11:23 AM
    Actually, most of those answers aren't quite correct.

How long after we get stationed will he get deployed and how long will he be gone), Depending on what unit and their rotation schedule it could be as little as 6 months

You can actually get deployed the day after you arrive. I have a bit of an extreme case, but two days after I arrived at my unit, we deployed for four months, then we were home for 2 months, deployed for 2 weeks, were home for 3 weeks, and then gone for 6 months. Immediately after we arrived home, we shifted homeports (the entire cutter moved to a new state). Like I said, that isn't normal, but our cutter was gone for almost 300 days the first year I was in the Coast Guard (but I loved almost every minute of it). Most of the time, my cutter is home for 6 months of the year and deployed for 6 months, however, many other units have shorter and less frequent deployments.

(How does base living work?), not sure, I believe spouse and kids get actual housing first over just a spouse. they should give you a stipend of tax free money to help pay for an apartment though.

The main thing that matters is if you are married or not. If you aren't married, then the Coast Guard will see him as "single", so there is a decent likelihood that he will be living in the barracks. If he is at a station/sector, then he may get BAH (money for housing), but it is definitely not a guarantee. I'm single and living in the barracks, so I leave the details of off-base housing, to someone more qualified.

but active duty can go from 2 to 6 (possibly 8) years depending on what he wants to do.
      Unless things have drastically changed, I don't think the Coast Guard offers 2 year active duty contracts, it is usually 4 or 6 years. And then similar to what cjnull25 mentioned, you will finish up the rest of the 8 years in the Individual Ready Reserve.

I hope that clears somethings up. :-)
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement