Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Advice needed!
Last Post 05 Nov 2017 09:09 PM by reiss_pieces11. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Hillman0912

--
27 Feb 2015 12:16 AM
    I leave for Cape May on March 31, 2015. I'm very excited, and I feel as prepared as I can be. 11 General Orders memorized, ranks and their respective ensignias memorized, ethos memorized, and I'm above the requirements for the initial PT test. So what I'm looking for is advice from people who have been through basic, and maybe to find some people who'll be in my company once I'm there. So my questions are what should I know? What stupid mistakes can I avoid by being prepared? All advice is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    27 Feb 2015 08:32 AM
    We have a forum for this...http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aff/20.aspx
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Feb 2015 08:47 AM
    Here is the link to your date with a couple of shipmates already checking in... http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aft/17971.aspx
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    WardIV

--
    28 Feb 2015 10:03 AM
    I recently graduated (09JAN15) and been iv been in the fleet for almost 3 months now. Looking back some advice I could give you atleast that I wished I would have known is one be confident! Everyone is nervous! You are going to mess up, thats the good thing about the program. Everyone once in a blue moon there will be kids who fly under the radar in boot camp and barley get messed with. Though once they get out in the fleet they sometimes lack the skills needed bc they didnt challenge themselve to get better and learn. Everything you learn in boot camp will come up one time or another in the fleet. REATAIN IT! You sound prepared and ready to leave so be ready to stand out, study your butt off! If you think all you need to know is your 11 gen orders and ranks and rates then youre wrong! You are going to get hit with so much info and a pretty thick packet of ranks, pay grades, collar devices, sleeve insignias, gun specs, a TON of nautucal termonoligy... and CG history. This is not including the daily memorization of whose the OOD, TDO, SHW, and when sunset is! You will be questioned on these daily! As well as your required knowledge. Use youre head and water breaks, your 5 hours of devine hours on Sundays wisley to study and situate your uniform! Boondockers shined, uniform pressed, no tag lines, rack exaclty how the manual states. Only bring what the helmsman states plus some extra back and white socks and underwear, you can bring more then the helsman says but they have to be the right color bc the socks and underwear they sell and try to give you really suck. With all this clothing you are going to have to fit it into a tiny rack space and folded to an exact fold and size or you will be busted heavily. Even a rogue q-tip will get you a night a RAMP.. Youll learn what that is soon enough haha dont be afraid of RAMP, it sucked but it will make you better, thats what the whole program is designed to do. Be a leader! Step up when the CCs are not there and take charge, volunteer for Yeoman, or Squad Leader youll be glad you did. It give you a lot more face time with the CCs and other Company Comanders and helps your vocal skills with them thats one of the hardest part is learning how to talk to them calmy. They are human beings with familys and children! You are simply having loud conversations in a directed speech pattern with them. Thats all. If you put youre self out there and except critisim and LEARN FROM OTHER PEOPLES MISTAKES! Then you are going to do great. Stay healthy, drink a lot of water, if you get sick to the medical center right away itll only get worse. The cape may crud is REAL. Its the worst cold of your entire life and you will catch it. Get some medicine and stay hydrated. Make sure you hang around with good, driven people. Dont get sucked in to the people who want to complain and hide. Use your pocket guide, cover up the unneeded pages with your masking tape (youll learn how to do that) during seamnaship for devine hours and write down everything in it. Other then 02 ink sticks and 02 trackers your pocket guide will be your best friend so dont lose it! Dont get discouraged on nights when you feel picked on, itll get easier and drive you that much more. STUDY. get with a group and quiz your selves. When you go to chow, thats when youre going to get hit the most on required knowlege, if you dont know the weeks list move fast and SCREAM YOUR HEAD OFF. This is serious.. The louder you yell, and more confident you are they WILL leave you alone more then the others. Have fun, but dont relax in the later weeks, dont get caught laughing. Tho in later weeks your able to goof off in the squad bay. Be confident, move fast, be LOUD, study, stay calm, be a leader, and follow directs exactly as they are given. Youre going to do great, Goodluck!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Feb 2015 12:01 PM
    Paragraphs are an awesome thing when writing a short novel. Very hard to read when it all runs together.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    28 Feb 2015 12:13 PM
    Thanks for the post, WardIV.
    USCG STA New York, Staten Island
    Jellis997

--
    05 Nov 2017 08:57 AM
    I'm trying to figure out my Son's graduation date. Do the 8 weeks start when they arrive at Cape May? He shipped October 31.
    reiss_pieces11

--
    05 Nov 2017 09:09 PM
    Jellis,

His graduation date should be December 22 on a Friday.  Most graduation dates are Friday’s with few exceptions.  The week he arrived counts as Week 01 even though he wasn’t technically there for “one week”.  Just to confirm anything, there is a USCG Blog where certain Recruits write entries almost weekly (and that will include his graduation date on it as long as you know his company).  I’ll include that link below!  They normally upload every Tuesday.  (Just a side note, they normally begin the blog entries for new companies on Week 02.)

Good luck and I hope this helps!  My boyfriend graduates on Thursday this week (I’m assuming because Veteran’s Day is Friday/Saturday) and I’m so extremely proud of him!  I wish your son the best of luck on his new journey!  Keep on supporting him!
    Keep Calm and Love a Coastie!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement