Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Which online college is best?
Last Post 04 Apr 2017 10:24 AM by jacoastie. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
camjohnson89

--
01 Mar 2015 11:31 PM
    I've been doing some research about which "all online" college to attend for a degree in the field of electronics, electrical, mechanical, or general engineering. I'm a tweet and have been in for just over 3 years and would like to put the credits I've earned toward a degree. Anyone have any recommendations for the best school. And would it be better to attend a college in person for one of these degrees over online? Thanks.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    04 Mar 2015 07:02 PM
    I havnt found an online school for an engineering degree, it's pretty hands on. However I think it's a good degree so if you can tack away at it that would be great. It'll be hard to go to a brick and motar school, you will probably need to be fully qualified, and then your command will have to be ok with either 1. You leaving work to go to class or 2. You going to night classes. This would be hard if you are at a station or cutter. It basically will not happen.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    camjohnson89

--
    06 Mar 2015 08:08 PM
    I'm at an air station and yeah I can see it being pretty tough attending a college traditionally, so I'm shooting for online. I've been leaning towards attending Grantham University for a degree in either Electronics Engineering Technology or Engineering Technology Management. Has anyone heard of or have experience with this school? I know it is not ABET certified but it seems pretty legit, and will at least check off the box of having a degree.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    07 May 2015 01:02 PM
    I just saw your post, if you plan on doing anything engineering, you definitely want it to be ABET certified. Also, the technology degrees arent as useful as doing the straight up engineering degree, such as electronic engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering ect

Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    10 May 2015 02:05 PM
    Bells is right on the money. If it isn't ABET accredited it is a big waste of money. The engineering technology degrees are also mostly a waste of money. An electronics engineering technology degree basically gets you a job doing exactly what you are doing as a tweet right now. Embry Riddle has an accredited EET degree that qualifies you to take the PE (Professional Engineer) exam, which is slightly more useful, because at that point you are able to be a "licensed" engineer and stamp things, but its still sketchy. There are two ABET accredited online engineering programs in the country. One is through Arizona State University and it is an electrical engineering program completely online. The only downside is it is fairly hard to get in to and somewhat expensive at $513/credit hour. The other option is University of North Dakota. You do lecture online, then in the summer you go for 1-3 weeks and do all of the lab stuff at once. It is quite a bit cheaper (half is) and is easier to get in to.

I am also a tweet with 3 years in. I am going on my junior year of the Electrical Engineering program at ASU. Something I will warn you about with your A school credits, even though you have credit for circuits, ac/dc systems, dc electronics, etc, don't assume you can jump in to a circuits II course at a university, it just isn't going to happen. You will most likely get to use your credits for electives and that is it. If you have any questions at all let me know, sounds like we are in very similar boats together....ironic since we are aviators!
    OaklandET

--
    13 Mar 2016 11:23 AM
    Sadly, most of the schools that show up to military installations on "college day" are SCAMS. Excelsior, phoenix, etc... Sorry if anyone bought into these degrees, but its the truth. I don't want to write a long story about why. Here's my advice if you want to be an engineer.
    It all depends where you want to go to college on "land" when you get out. I'll give you my persona example.
    I took online general education courses at Coastline Community college. Reason: It's a California state school and credits easily transfer. Check out assist.org to see why.
    A-school credits count for a whopping 6 units of "life experience" electives. Real engineering goes waaaaaaay beyond our little digital/analog courses, and the advisers will just smile and pat you on the head if you try to show them your A-school digital class . The most you can expect to benefit from A-school is having a general idea what an O-scope does when you are in labs. This should be a huge RED flag when colleges say they will turn your A-school into any sort of engineering degree. Coastline will give you an associates in electronics but they don't even pretend to call it engineering. What you should be more concerned with is a pre-engineering path if a college has it. Skip the electronics degree.
    The time I spent in land college was not shortened by attending Coastline because engineering has a specific 4 year track that you can't avoid. However, the online credits did lighten my load slightly. I could now get away with taking only 12 units per semester versus 16 because I already had my required history and english out of the way.
    Best advice I can think of is to take enough math to get you up to Calculus 1. Don't take calculus online. If you start off your first year at school with calc 1, you'll be right on track for a solid 4 year path. If you take it online because you're trying to just get it out of the way, you'll end up in college physics being blindsided by calculus problems with no idea whats going on. Take Calc1 with physics 1 your first year and you'll be on your way. Now if you're a true genius... sure, go ahead and get all your math and physics out of the way online and maybe you can shorten your degree by a couple sememsters. Good luck!
    hooligan

--
    06 Apr 2016 01:47 AM
    I am a grad, ABET certified schools are the only ones to look at. I agree with everyone , except whether it's an engineering or engineering technology program. Regardless of whichever you pursue, make sure you take the Engineer in Training EIT exam as part of your school's program. Once you pass that, no one will really care whether your degree is engineering, physics, or engineering technology. Warning : what quite a few 4 yr programs do is an academic 'boot camp' where they throw workloads out designed to get the undedicated to quit. Makes their workload easier. As a Coastie, you are already familiar with this, but don't think this experience is fun in repitition by any means. Academic assholes are real. You don't need to get blindsided with artificial stress from a dipshit teaching assistant out of India who thinks it is fun to not do his job while he and his foreign friends spend their time swapping term test experiences to get the good grades they need to keep their student visas and shittily paid teaching assistant jobs. Sad but true. At a large 4 year school, you'll get more than you should of teaching assistants (likely your own age) the first 2 years, while at a 2 year school with a solid transfer program to a 4 year, you'll get real adults teaching the material. Engineers need an excellent 'fluent' ability to describe physical phenomena with math; algebra, trig, calculus, differential equations, so start working the math courses hard, don't skimp. At the beginning, you'll be getting a few courses near your major to justify all the math they keep throwing at you, and to also keep you from going nuts. Changing schools without a solid transfer program can be a p.i.t.a. because schools exist to charge tuition, and they play games with transferring credits, so keep all your course catalogs and course descriptions, forever, unless you like hearing some greedy adminstrator with a new BMW parked outside insist you need to give up more of your VA benefits to take his flavor of calculus 1, the flavor of calculus 1 you took at that other place is no good. ABET certified and EIT in the program and ask hard questions about the number of teaching assistants vs. professors in 4 year programs and best of luck.
    Jmax2626

--
    16 Jul 2016 08:15 PM
    Try checking west Florida pretty sure they offer electronics degrees online and tuition is reasonable because they are not private
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    02 Sep 2016 09:04 PM
    Currently attending UCF online (University of Central Florida). Voted in the top 100 schools of the nation. They have quite a few online degree programs available and are military friendly.
    jacoastie

--
    04 Apr 2017 10:24 AM
    Just make SURE of two things.

1. Is the school regionally accredited? If not RUN do not walk away.....RUN AWAY.

2. "Best" is not the question..... the question is who is best at the program you are interested in.

Georgia Tech's Engineering program has an outstanding reputation.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement