Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Just graduated, ask me anything!
Last Post 23 Sep 2018 11:06 AM by Tracyraquel. 162 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 6 << < 12345 > >>
Author Messages
giuliacpacheco

--
12 Jun 2015 11:34 PM
Oh boot camp! I just graduated on May 29th with Delta-191, and what an experience! Jinxman23 I REALLY wouldn't worry about those small details such as shampoo and soap, they'll provide you with everything you need + you'll get to go to the exchange to buy more. During the time you're there, you won't be able to take regular showers, so get used to washing the necessary and getting out, and make sure that doesn't bother you. I'm a female with long hair, and I just learned to accept that while I was in basic training, long and "decent" showers are not priority, and that I just had to face it for 8 weeks, and then I'd be able to enjoy them again. My biggest advice is do what they ask of you for 8 weeks - and by that I mean pay attention to everything they tell you to do, how to do it. ALWAYS keep your military bearing and self-discipline, and help your shipmate, you won't make it through boot camp by yourself, no matter how "good" and "prepared" you are now. Always give 110% of yourself, and encourage your shipmates to do the same, and when you think that you're the only one whose legs and feet hurt, who's so tired it's hard to stay awake while standing in the back of the class or in formation, who's tired of waking up at 0530 every day for a few weeks to the sound of FIRE FIRE FIRE to do IT sessions outside...don't forget everyone is in the same boat, and everyone goes through the same things, so do it together. By you deciding to stay there and fight, not only it shows how much you want to be there and how dedicated you are, but it also shows your shipmates it can be done, and that if YOU'RE still there, than they'll stay and suffer with you. A lot of that crossed my mind and that helped me through it. Don't give up! If that's what you want, fight for it, and dedicate yourself. Don't get too caught up on getting trackers, LEARN from your mistakes and other people's mistakes and don't repeat them, be alert. SOUND OFF! The more they see how bad you want it, the better for you. And most of all, respect everyone, especially your CC's. In the end, ALL of it will make sense. Best of luck to you and your company!
Jinxman23

--
14 Jun 2015 02:11 PM
Thanks yall! How about shaving? Someone told me that shaving without shaving cream is the fastest but that just sounds like it would give a nasty rash... Is that a good idea? Or should I stick with shaving cream?
Basic Member
Basic Member
stealthtt24

--
14 Jun 2015 02:22 PM
I used shaving cream less than 5 times the whole time. I was fine without it. Try it now and see how your face reacts. Honestly our CCs didn't harp on it too much. I think our company was pretty good as a whole keeping up on shaving.
Jinxman23

--
14 Jun 2015 02:27 PM
Ok. I'll try that. Do we shave then shower? Or shave in the morning before everything? Also, what week is the fitness test with the 1.5 mile run, 29 push-ups, 38 sit-ups, and swim?
Jinxman23

--
14 Jun 2015 03:05 PM
And does someone stand on your feet when you do the sit-ups?
Basic Member
Basic Member
stealthtt24

--
14 Jun 2015 04:12 PM
You aren't given specific times to shave, you just work it in on your breaks during the day. Week 1 is the initial test, week 4 is the last pf test. Week 2 was the swim test. If you fail week 2 swim you go to remedial swim. If you don't pass week 1 pf test, depending on how you did, you either get sent home or they wait and see on week 4 test how you do. If after week 4 you miss it by a little bit, they'll put you in pfe. Few ways the scenario can work out.

Someone holds your feet down for sit ups, plenty of resistance for someone to pass.
Fl124

--
14 Jun 2015 04:23 PM
From what have read boot camp PT can be tough even for physically fit people; I don't know anyone who has ever been in the coast guard and am really just looking for some guidance/advice on how to prepare. I can currently exceed all of the PT standards, my last recorded test I had 75 push-ups, 70 sit-ups, and a 11:15 mile and a half. I passed the swim but need to get better which I am taking lessons for.  I'm only a junior in highschool, so I have time. With those scores am I in good enough shape for boot camp? Im trying to be the best prepared I can be. Any response is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Jinxman23

--
14 Jun 2015 04:52 PM
Awesome! Thank you very much!
sbana

--
13 Jul 2015 07:25 PM
Congrats dude! Going in next tuesday. How far in do they make you do the running part of the PFT?
Basic Member
Basic Member
cyndyd

--
17 Jul 2015 11:34 AM
I understand now they send you home in week one, if you can't pass the PT requirements. My son does not have ship date yet but his recruiter anticipates late October or early November. What would any of you recommend he exceed the minimum by?
smp1123

--
17 Jul 2015 10:36 PM
Hey so I have a question about the run, I run a 14:00 flat for my mile and a half and for females it's 15:26 but I practice on a straight a way like a running trail not a running track.  Is the PFT on a running track just wondering?  I don't go to bootcamp until late september or early october still waiting on the date.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Eoghan Roe

--
18 Jul 2015 06:56 AM
Yes it's on a track. The only other running I remember doing was up and down stairs in the barracks and around town for the off base run, neither of which is timed.
smp1123

--
20 Jul 2015 08:12 PM
Oh okay cool and it's the usual 6 laps for a mile and a half or is the track bigger then that?  I run a 13:38 now I tested myself again today to see where I was at so I'm good with time.   I was told that my straight away training isn't going to be that much of a difference with the track so I should be good.  That's good the other runs aren't timed that's a relief lol.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Bleem

--
20 Jul 2015 08:28 PM

Posted By smp1123 on 20 Jul 2015 08:12 PM
Oh okay cool and it's the usual 6 laps for a mile and a half or is the track bigger then that?  I run a 13:38 now I tested myself again today to see where I was at so I'm good with time.   I was told that my straight away training isn't going to be that much of a difference with the track so I should be good.  That's good the other runs aren't timed that's a relief lol.

They have a standard quarter mile track and a half mile track that is covered in rubber chips (think wood chips but composed of pieces of old tires).  I did all my runs on the half mile track.
USCG STA New York, Staten Island
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
m1ashooter

--
21 Jul 2015 12:59 PM
Folks the 1.5 mile run isn't hard unless our nations youth has morphed into a new species. The USAF used to only run the 1.5 as our annual test or let us walk 3. I used to start two weeks out getting prepped and even saw some guys smoking while on the run. Just start jogging and you will be ok.

If you need help get some cadence music to listen too while you run. Try these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsPTO2l4EWE
Basic Member
Basic Member
Bleem

--
21 Jul 2015 02:54 PM
Posted By m1ashooter on 21 Jul 2015 12:59 PM
Folks the 1.5 mile run isn't hard unless our nations youth has morphed into a new species. The USAF used to only run the 1.5 as our annual test or let us walk 3. I used to start two weeks out getting prepped and even saw some guys smoking while on the run. Just start jogging and you will be ok.

If you need help get some cadence music to listen too while you run. Try these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsPTO2l4EWE

While I agree that running 1.5 miles isn't exactly an impressive feat of athletic prowess, I don't want people to underestimate it either.  The sad fact is, most people I know probably can't run 1.5 miles in 12:51.  If you don't run at all (which a lot of people don't), you need to start practicing or you won't make the standard.
smp1123

--
21 Jul 2015 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info well for females the time is 15:26 i think and I run it in a 13:20 now and that's pretty good to start off with a whole 2 mins and 6 sec ahead I really want to do better then that before I go.  I don't practice on tracks well the trail i run on is kind of like a big track but a half a mile track is pretty big so no more worries about it.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Eoghan Roe

--
22 Jul 2015 04:53 AM
Yeah I hardly ever run and I've failed one run by about 3 seconds, but I had some serious nasal and chest congestion. I probably shouldn't have been running, but I hate giving up my shipmates are still running.
FrankMV

--
23 Jul 2015 02:52 AM
A very informative post.. thanks!!!
wondering

--
23 Jul 2015 08:38 AM
just heard off base liberty was not granted for my recruit, does this mean possible reversion as well? We are almost at week 8! travel plans are all in place. I have no idea why, the recruit called a sibling!
Basic Member
Basic Member
Bleem

--
24 Jul 2015 09:19 AM
Posted By wondering on 23 Jul 2015 08:38 AM
just heard off base liberty was not granted for my recruit, does this mean possible reversion as well? We are almost at week 8! travel plans are all in place. I have no idea why, the recruit called a sibling!

From my experience, liberty not being granted was done almost in lieu of reversion.  For example, one recruit from my company committed what we were told was an offense that would result in automatic reversion, but he had some extenuating family circumstances back home and our lead CC went to bat for him.  In the end he was not reverted, but he did lose his liberty.  But really, that's going to be up to the CCs and section commander.  I doubt he'll lose liberty and get reverted for the same offense, but you never know.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
24 Jul 2015 11:54 AM
As Bleen says, it just depends. There is no guarantee he'll be reverted, there is no guarantee he won't. He needs to let you know what is happening if sibling isn't good at getting details. I would send a letter asking for details so you can change plans, if necessary. I wouldn't change anything until you speak to him though. If he is reverted, there will be a phone call home. Hopefully he calls you. Best of luck. I'm going to guess off base is tomorrow and graduation is a week from today? Nothing like adding to a mom/dad's stress level already! Let us know how things go.
Sector NY, Staten Island
justwondering

--
28 Jul 2015 01:34 PM
I got a little more info, something about not saluting properly and that my recruit was supposed to go for liberty (according to what the CC's told him but then I guess the Section Commander squashed it for about 5 recruits. Still set to graduate Friday - it's been a nail biter!  Thanks for your answers. I'll get more details Friday (hopefully) graduation day.
RenaGilbertson

--
29 Jul 2015 11:50 AM
I know I am making the times for my run, however I am still nervous. Are they super strict about the "show up ready" policy? Recruiters are saying yes, but I wanna know from someone who just went through.
Basic Member
Basic Member
cyndyd

--
29 Jul 2015 11:58 AM
I would think if the recruiter is saying then it is true. I am sure they will chime in. I have also seen parents on this forum saying it is true. This is scary though. It would not be good to be sent home in week 1.
Dedicated2Success

--
29 Jul 2015 12:31 PM
Awesome story giuliacpacheco. I'm getting more and more excited as I read these posts. How many CC's are there per company?
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Eoghan Roe

--
30 Jul 2015 05:23 AM
It depends on the size of the company and what CCs are available.

My company started at 115, and we had four CCs, but I think I've heard of smaller companies with just two. I don't think they do just one ever because... well CCs need rest too.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
30 Jul 2015 12:08 PM
Colin's company had 3 CC's. I don't know how many recruits.

Rena, they are absolutely, 100% dedicated to the "show up ready or go home" policy. If you are one second over the allotted time, you'll pack your bags and head on back home.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Dedicated2Success

--
31 Jul 2015 10:15 AM
Posted By Eoghan Roe on 30 Jul 2015 05:23 AM
It depends on the size of the company and what CCs are available.

My company started at 115, and we had four CCs, but I think I've heard of smaller companies with just two. I don't think they do just one ever because... well CCs need rest too.

That makes sense. Thank you.
daubon

--
04 Oct 2015 08:32 AM
Hi, hope it has gone well for you in Hawaii!.  My son is currently in his first week of BT. Could you please tell me what the "dream sheet" is and when they have to fill it out? How does that work?

Thanks

Pepe Daubon
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 6 << < 12345 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement