Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Just graduated, ask me anything!
Last Post 14 Sep 2019 04:23 AM by jdhusker. 171 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 6 << < 23456 > >>
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
EvenKeel

--
04 Oct 2015 10:26 AM
daubon, the dream sheet is a piece of paper that you fill out in later weeks, I think week 4 or 5. You fill out what type of unit and top 3 (or is it 5? I forget) districts you want as well as if you want to be a SN or FN (seaman, fireman). At the bottom there is a comments section where you can add things like "I respectfully request to go afloat on a 378" or really anything you want to write down that allows you to specify what you would like out of boot. It is called a "dream sheet" for a reason. A very very small percentage of people actually get what they want out of boot camp.
"You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
modernwarfare

--
04 Oct 2015 01:49 PM
You fill out the dream sheet week 4 and get to select 4 different districts, find out what you get week five. There are a specific number of places that need non rates every week that the detailer has to work with, and they showed us a list of availability ahead of time. If you want Massachusetts and there is no need for a non rate there, it isn't going to happen. But almost everyone in my company got what they wanted, I got everything I asked for. Ask for what you want, they will try to make it happen, but it is called a dreamsheet for a reason.
kegilbert33

--
04 Oct 2015 06:09 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to join-I just have a few questions regarding basic. First, I want to be ready for the swimming portion but I don't have access to a pool-like at all. The one at my school is currently closed for maintenance or something so I'm completely out of luck. With the fineness tests-is it right off the bat that you're tested and meet the standards I see everywhere? Or is that by graduation?
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
04 Oct 2015 08:29 PM
Go to bootcamp being able to pass the standards. Look for a pool at a local gym, you might have to pay for a membership but it'll be worth it when you pass because you practiced
Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
m1ashooter

--
04 Oct 2015 09:59 PM
Posted By Bells on 04 Oct 2015 09:29 PM
Go to bootcamp being able to pass the standards. Look for a pool at a local gym, you might have to pay for a membership but it'll be worth it when you pass because you practiced

Check out a local YMCA in your community or a close by community if there isn't one where you live.  My son is awaiting a ship date to boot camp could be December.  We found our local Y had a membership drive and he is paying $27 a month to use the facility which includes gym and pool.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
05 Oct 2015 07:33 AM
Someone made the suggestion of going to a local hotel that has a pool. Let them know that you are joining the Coast Guard and want to practice swimming. The person that originally suggested that said the hotel allowed him to use the pool completely for free. I would only suggest that if you already know how to swim and just want to become stronger. Typically hotel pools will not have life guard staff or any type of swim classes.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Shastamcnasty

--
05 Oct 2015 05:55 PM
I would like to know more about ramp. Is it all week or only on certain days? What if you get ramp & probation are they served seperately?
Kinch

--
06 Oct 2015 07:07 AM
I took my son to the YMCA in our town, told them what we were doing and what the test entailed, and they totally let us in for free both times.
Futureyeoman44

--
15 Oct 2015 07:26 PM
Ramp is just for a night unless you get assigned more. It's hard but feels great to finish and 99% of people go so dont feel bad if you do! Probation is where you have to wear a red belt and are constantly asked questions about the required knowledge you are expected to know, ramp and probation are seperate things but can be assigned at one time
Kinch

--
16 Oct 2015 12:43 PM
When a recruit gets reverted for two weeks is that really bad?  Can you be reverted more than once?
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
16 Oct 2015 01:40 PM
Reversions happen all the time. I don't recommend getting reverted even once... but they do allow up to 3 before it becomes an issue and they look at possibly discharging. If you want to say, fine; If not, fine. May I ask what happened?? I know someone that was reverted once for sleeping in class and then a second time for leaving dirty socks in his rack. He is a very successful Coastie now... so this is simply a boot camp hiccup. Not a career hiccup. Not to be taken lightly but nothing to go into full on worry mode for either. You can also PM me if you like and want to discuss.
Sector NY, Staten Island
6938mom

--
17 Oct 2015 01:28 PM
My son is currently in boot camp. Dropped out of his company. He is in a hold area now. Having major anxiety couldn't keep up with his company a couple of recruits were name calling heckling him. Telling him to quit cause he's bringing them down. He talked with a chaplen psychologist and now on mon a physiatrist that is the protocol. I know he should stick it out and do this but he only wants to come home. He is using past prob to use as a crutch. He was bullied way back in middle school and keeps bringing it up. He said it brought back bad memories. I think it's an excuse. He wanted this a long time now he's willing to give it up. What can I say to make him change his mind? Any thing will help.
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
17 Oct 2015 02:51 PM
This level of anxiety, speaking to the chaplain, a psychiatrist... I doubt highly there is anything you can say to him. The CG may have ashtray decided his fate and he will be home soon. I'm very sorry but this might not be open to discussion at this point.
Sector NY, Staten Island
6938mom

--
17 Oct 2015 03:45 PM
He said its his decision to leave. They said they will do everything to keep him but he has to want it. They are not kicking him out. He past the fitness test. He said he can't take the screaming constantly.
Trusted Member
Gears

--
19 Oct 2015 06:18 PM
The screaming is part of the experience. The reason behind it is to simulate an environment where crewmembers have to project their voices to be heard over running machinery, wind, seas, etc in order to perform a mission. And, if one person makes a mistake it's a good way to let everyone know to check themselves so they don't repeat the mistake.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
smirnoff

--
23 Oct 2015 09:45 AM
Posted By 6938mom on 17 Oct 2015 04:45 PM
He said its his decision to leave. They said they will do everything to keep him but he has to want it. They are not kicking him out. He past the fitness test. He said he can't take the screaming constantly.

Just curious -- how is your son currently doing?  Is he with a new company, yet?
smp1123

--
26 Oct 2015 03:27 PM
How was the run in the winter ? I go too basic in December just curious I run in he 11s now
Servire

--
14 Dec 2015 02:26 PM
Posted By smp1123 on 26 Oct 2015 04:27 PM
How was the run in the winter ? I go too basic in December just curious I run in he 11s now

You'll be fine. Give it your all and there's no way you get slower. The winter has been relatively mild. I shaved quite a bit of time (- 30 secs) off of my initial run of 12:30. Just graduated.
Mongo556

--
06 Jan 2016 09:13 PM
I'm shipping for BC in about a month. Just curious on what to expect when entering the mess hall. I have heard that this is when the CC come after you and drill you with questions, while waiting online, and while sitting down and eating. Also how is the food there? Just wondering because you are what you eat, I am big into working out and nutrition and a strong believer on refueling on with the proper nutrition.
Basic Member
Basic Member
TheLonelyOS

--
07 Jan 2016 05:19 PM
Food is good for the most part. Trust me you will eat anything they put in front of you due to the amount of PT you will go through and not really care about macros. They did have a peanut butter and jelly bar that you can have as much as you want but be forewarned as that it will draw attention to yourself. The galley can make or break people and its where you really need to know your stuff.
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Loronus

--
09 Jan 2016 12:22 AM
The food is decent and they give you all the nutritional Info for everything they serve. The big issue you are going to run into is the lack of time to read it and the amount of Carby food they serve. You got veggies and you get meats but they are not all created equal. Just make sort of educated guesses its mostly just eat to be refueled because you are going to burn tons of calories constantly.
Damahone98

--
10 Jan 2016 08:07 PM
For the 1st week and 4th week PFT I understand there are push ups, sit ups, 1.5 mile run, and two swimming tests. My questions are:
1. Will all of those be done together back to back or are they done throughout the day
2. For the push ups, do you do the 29 and then you are finished, or are you supposed to do the max amount you can in a minute, and the same question for sit ups as well
Thank you.
Loronus

--
10 Jan 2016 11:33 PM
The Push Ups Sit Ups and Run are done on the Friday you go in the First week all at the same time. You line up as a company you do as many pushups you can do in a minute. Then you get back in line and when you get back to the front of the line partner with a shipmate and you both do as many situps as you can in a minute. Then once everyone is all set you head outside to the track and run 3 laps and get your time. This is repeated in week 04 on the Wednesday. There is only one swimming test and that is done on the Thursday of week 02 and you get a pretty decent break in between the swim portion and the treading water.
AGoldsmith

--
11 Jan 2016 03:14 PM
Hi there- My brother is currently at boot camp and has been reverted 3 times. He started in ECHO 192 and is now in HOTEL 192. The first time he was on probation and didn't log something in his book, the second he physically passed out and was late to watch, and the third time he was on probation and failed it. I'm sure we are not getting the full story, but it's difficult to when we only can talk to him for a couple of minutes every time this has happened. Because of the holidays his 3 reversions have added an extra 6 weeks to his time there, so he's turned 8 weeks into 14. He already has his orders and as of this last reversion seems confident he will complete boot camp, but I think we are just a little confused as to why this keeps happening. Any advice? I think this is his last chance.
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
11 Jan 2016 04:22 PM
To keep it simple as none of us on here know the specific details for your brothers situation, Your brother sounds like he is having a difficult time adjusting to boot-camp. Boot camp runs on a very specific set of rules and regulations. Each recruit must meet the requirements of these rules and regulations. Everything that is done at boot camp has a reason, and a recruit must adhere to this. Failing to log someone into a book may sound like a minor infraction. But when you look at the bigger picture of security and personnel accountability, it is a huge issue. Not reporting to watch is another big no-no. This type of behavior could lead to him missing movement or put undue stress on other watch-standers.

Not knowing his situation, he has been given a second chance not just once, not even twice, but three times. I have never seen boot-camp that lenient before. I would say it is a safe assumption that this is his last chance.

Keep sending him positive letters. He could use that.

I wish your brother the best of luck. Let us know what happens!

Chukles,

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
Tahoe760

--
13 Jan 2016 05:59 PM
What is the time requirement for running for the males on the Friday of First week?  I've seen some post that it is 13:50 and some post that it's the 12 min requirement.  My son's recruiter said he had to go in under 13:50 but did not have to meet the 12 min requirement until week 4.  He just left for Cape May this Tuesday, and runs a 1.5 in 14 minutes, so I am stressing out a bit, don't want to hear from him Friday night! Thanks!
Basic Member
Basic Member
AG305

--
13 Jan 2016 06:06 PM
the helmsman says Males - 12:51. it should be that. thats the number im training around.
RhodyMike

--
14 Jan 2016 09:24 AM
Week 1 requirements are different than week 4 requirements for graduating. I'm closing in on the final steps of my enlistment and my recruiter just gave me a paper with the requirements. I tried attaching a picture of the paper but it says it's too large to attach. 

Week 1 arrival fitness requirements
 The paper states the "approximate week 1 Cape May arrival fitness requirements" Male-21 Sit ups, 11 push ups, in one minute each and 1.5 mile run in 13:50, Female- 13 sit ups and 6 push ups and 1.5 mile run in 16:30.

Week 4 graduating requirements
 For graduation requirements that take place in week 4 the paper states Male- 38 sit ups and 29 push ups, each in one minute and the 1.5 mile run in 12:51 and Female- 32 sit ups and 15 push ups and 1.5 mile run in 15:26. 

That should clear up the confusion but also realize that it says "approximate" so it can change or be different when you get to bootcamp but everyone should train and try to exceed the minimum requirements for week 4 so you don't have to worry or stress about the PT. 
Tahoe760

--
15 Jan 2016 11:03 AM
Posted By RhodyMike on 14 Jan 2016 10:24 AM
Week 1 requirements are different than week 4 requirements for graduating. I'm closing in on the final steps of my enlistment and my recruiter just gave me a paper with the requirements. I tried attaching a picture of the paper but it says it's too large to attach. 

Week 1 arrival fitness requirements
 The paper states the "approximate week 1 Cape May arrival fitness requirements" Male-21 Sit ups, 11 push ups, in one minute each and 1.5 mile run in 13:50, Female- 13 sit ups and 6 push ups and 1.5 mile run in 16:30.

Week 4 graduating requirements
 For graduation requirements that take place in week 4 the paper states Male- 38 sit ups and 29 push ups, each in one minute and the 1.5 mile run in 12:51 and Female- 32 sit ups and 15 push ups and 1.5 mile run in 15:26. 

That should clear up the confusion but also realize that it says "approximate" so it can change or be different when you get to bootcamp but everyone should train and try to exceed the minimum requirements for week 4 so you don't have to worry or stress about the PT. 

Thank you....that helps clear up my concerns! Good luck in boot camp!
Coastiemom95

--
06 Feb 2016 10:15 PM
My son has been "gifted" with the red belt. He said he got it for stumbling over the section commander's name. Oops! Lol Anyway, he's said he got extended on the belt, does that happen often? I'm just curious, and nosey. I gave him a short pep talk. He's tough enough to pull through it, if he gets passed his nerves and beating himself up over it.
Thanks in advance!
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 6 << < 23456 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement