Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Officer Programs and OJAK Updated
Last Post 12 May 2015 12:15 AM by mbpatton13. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Recruiter
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
thestormiscoming

--
28 Apr 2015 02:49 PM
    Please visit www.gocoastguard.com/active-duty-careers/officer-opportunities/plan-your-next-move

The annual revision of the officer application job aid kit (O-JAK) is updated too.  The Coast Guard anticipates hiring more junior officers over the next four years than in recent history.  Definitely see if you qualify.
    hawkmdend

--
    29 Apr 2015 12:59 PM
    The O-JAK doesn't have the last 7 pages, including the last information about the SRDC program. Is there any way to upload the document again with the information that is missing??

Thank you
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    29 Apr 2015 02:08 PM
    Thanks for pointing that out. I will let recruiting command know and see if they can upload the file again.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    01 May 2015 11:39 AM
    Any word about when they might have a new file updated, Chief?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    01 May 2015 01:31 PM
    I'm not sure how long that will take, but those who need to know have been notified. If you PM me your work email I can send you the Portal link to read the error free version.
    hawkmdend

--
    01 May 2015 03:32 PM
    Thank you, how do I PM you my email?. I would like to receive the error free version.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    06 May 2015 08:10 AM
    The OJAK has been uploaded again and has 100% of the pages.
    scout2011

--
    06 May 2015 01:29 PM
    Hello folks,

I am trying to understand the statistics on page 75 of the new OJAK. It shows that four people were selected out of the 23 that applied in FY15. However, the May 2015 board, which falls in fiscal year 2015, has yet to convene.

1. Does this mean that the 2015 statistics pertain to the first FY15 panel (December 2014) only? If so, this means that the December 2014 panel reviewed almost as many applicants as the Coast Guard did for the entirety of FY14.

2. Is it possible that CGRC is projecting data for the May 2015 panel and is synthesizing the statistics in question? If so, this means that the upcoming board may be selecting around two people (plus or minus two).

3. Also, how can one reconcile these selection numbers with thestormiscoming’s comment that “the Coast Guard anticipates hiring more junior officers over the next four years than in recent history?"Are aviation billets so well manned that the community simply does not need more than the usual handful of DCAs?

What do you think?
    scout2011

--
    06 May 2015 01:50 PM
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    07 May 2015 06:26 AM
    If CGRC didn't have any DCA packages for the DCO selection panel #06-15, which had a recruiter deadline of 16MAR15, then they would publish the stats as the results for the year as nothing would be pending for the DCO panel start date of 18MAY15 with regards to DCA.

My statement was made about the next four years, not the current FY. I simply reitereated what we were told by our officer program managers. As the primary JO commisioning path has historically been the CGA, but that will see reduced numbers for the next four years.  DCA isn't a primary commissioning path for JOs, that statement you quoted is mainly meant for CSPI (OCS), OCS-R/T etc.

I hope that clarifies things for you.
    optimuspeterson

--
    07 May 2015 07:39 AM
    Scout, I noticed that too. My packet should be in this DCA board as my recruiter told me CGRC had it in its completed state (required some corrections and additional forms that they requested). I'm hoping that this OJAK just inputed the total number of applicants from both the FY boards, but only included the first board results as the May board hasn't met yet.

I'll be more than a little disappointed if I come to find out that either my packet isn't up there, or they simply aren't taking any DCA's this go around. I would almost rather not know now, and wait until a few weeks after the board convenes to find out.
    scout2011

--
    07 May 2015 08:15 AM
    Thank you for the quick reply. It makes sense that the CGA is the conventional source of JOs, and the guidance about officer accessions seems sound. On the other hand, it appears as if the statistics throughout the OJAK already account for the May 2015 board results for many of the programs. For example, the direct commission engineer, lawyer, etc. sections have figures for FY 2015. It would be interesting to know how they worked that piece of data.

Thank you again for relaying the guidance, please keep it coming. 
    mjh86

--
    07 May 2015 09:22 AM
    I could be completely wrong about this, but the way I understand it is that this upcoming DCA board, while occurring in FY15, is projecting selected officers entering in FY16. So I believe if you look back at the DCA board that convened last May, those selected officers were accounted for in the FY15 statistics due to those officers entering in FY15. If I also remember correctly, there were two selectees from last May and two selectees last December. This is where the 4 comes from in the OJACK for FY15. By all means I could be completely wrong about this. Someone please set me straight if I am wrong. This was just the way explained to me.
    optimuspeterson

--
    07 May 2015 10:59 AM
    MJH, while that would perfect sense, the Dec '14 board had 4 selectees, and the previous Mar '14 had 2 selectees, bringing it to a total of 6 (assuming the March individuals didn't transfer prior to the beginning of the fiscal year). Either way, we can war game this to death, but in the end we won't have an answer unless someone chimes in who works directly with the individuals that produce that data. Only 4-8 weeks until we should have some type of resolution.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    07 May 2015 11:23 AM
    I encourage those with DCA questions and submitted packages to work with their recruiter to get those questions answered with regards to the stats in the latest OJAK. My office hasn't processed any DCA packages so I don't have much info to help you out with. Your recruiter can reach out to the officer program manager and get an answer.
    mjh86

--
    07 May 2015 11:33 AM

Optimus,

You are right my friend.  Now I'm more confused than ever. 

scout2011

--
    07 May 2015 12:29 PM
    It looks like airplane folks will have a better chance at getting selected than the rest of us. "In Fiscal Year 2016, applicants with fixed wing experience will be especially desired" (OJAK, Page 70, paragraph 3). Perhaps they want to target DCAs to man C-27 billets.
    mbpatton13

--
    12 May 2015 12:15 AM
    For the DCA statistics, I suspect that CGRC is counting the FY when the candidate receives a commission (about 8 months after the selection panel). But I wouldn't focus too much on the stats. The stats have absolutely zero relevance to your chance for success (and can't speak to the quality of packages submitted). Selection isn't a coin toss, it's about how well your package stacks up next to everyone else considered at the panel. I would focus on figuring out what the CG is looking for (e.g., officer ideals on page 3, program requirements, etc.) , and market yourself appropriately.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement