Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
DCSS Stats
Last Post 09 Dec 2019 08:13 AM by Old Guard2. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Jeffus

--
01 May 2015 10:38 AM
    My son applied, but was not accepted, into the Academy, much to his disappointment. He has enrolled in the Virginia Tech. Corps of Cadets, for the class of 2019. Va. Tech is one of the 8 schools listed as approved schools for the DCSS program. He is hoping that he could get a commission upon graduating in 2019. Does anyone know any in-depth information about this program? I am curious if this is a realistic shot at all to get a commission. No one, (even his recruiter) seems to know anything about this program. The only feedback I have yet to receive (that sounds credible) is that occasionally the C.G. needs people with special skills acquired by majors not offered at the academy. That's the primary reason for this program. It is featured on the web site, so it has to be a legitimate program. If anyone has any info on this program, I would appreciate hearing it. If anyone has stats (like how many commissions were given out) through the last 10 years, that would be perfect!
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    01 May 2015 11:13 AM
    I highly suggest you and your son read the DCSS section of the OJAK, as all of your questions are answered there, starting on page 99 and the stats you're seeking are on pages 103 and 104:

http://www.gocoastguard.com/sites/d...pr15_1.pdf

Jeffus

--
    01 May 2015 12:45 PM
    Great! I appreciate it. I will do that now.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    02 May 2015 01:01 PM
    Also, if the Coast Guard Academy is what your son wants, there is nothing wrong with reapplying in the fall. He would have to apply regular admissions and supply his first semester transcript. And he would need to do well in his first semester. Reapplicants are common, and tend to do well.

If you or your son have questions, PM me. I am an Admissions Partner with CGA, and can put your son in contact with one (if he hasn't been) in your area, or near VT. Also, one of my son's best friends is in the VT Corp of Cadets, so I'm a little familiar with that (but just a little).
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 May 2015 10:22 AM
    I dated a guy that applied to the AF Academy and didn't get accepted. He went his freshman year to Rutgers University. He applied again and was picked up on that 2nd try. He had to repeat his freshman year but he was perfectly fine with that. He was thrilled to be accepted. Wow, that was a really long time ago, 1982. Holy cow. My point, Auxnoob is correct. I'm sorry your son didn't get it on his first shot, but there is nothing saying he can't ask a second time. Best of luck with either a second application or his time at VT. Either way he will get an excellent education.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    05 May 2015 11:34 AM
    Actually, I think there is an incoming Swab who got picked up on his third application to the Coast Guard Academy. So if that is your goal, persistence pays off.
    Jeffus

--
    03 Sep 2015 07:02 PM
    Thanks for the encouragement. So far, he's loving V.T. and the Corps of Cadets, but He says he still wants to re-apply in the fall. We'll see!
    Jeffus

--
    06 Dec 2019 09:47 PM
    As a follow up to my 2015 post, my son graduated from the V.T. Corps of Cadets and got accepted through the DCSS program. He starts training at the Academy in January then is off to Miami Beach sector to start his Coast Guard career!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Dec 2019 08:13 AM
    That is wonderful Jeffus! Congratulations!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement