Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Questions for after A School
Last Post 20 May 2015 07:50 AM by joseywalez. 24 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
crp62885

--
05 May 2015 09:58 AM
    Hello everyone, 

New to the forum, my wife is enlisted and currently in A school for the next few months. 

My question is, what is the possibility of getting another 3-4 years in the same area (new england) we are in now? 

I had read something about the CG trying to cut costs by not moving families cross country unless its really needed, so I wasnt sure. 

Thank you!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 May 2015 10:04 AM
    For after A School it is hard to give you the odds. A School works a little different than a normal rotation. The class has 10 people, they are given 10 billet choices. That's it. If there is something in New England, she can politic for it, see if any of her other shipmates want it, are willing to let it go... then she can probably get it. If another shipmate wants it and isn't willing to go somewhere else, then the school will decide who gets it. If there is nothing on the list in New England, well, that's a simple answer. There is nothing in New England and you'll be leaving.

If it was a regular transfer season, then she could request anything in D1 and put only stations/boats whatever in D1 and probably get a detailer to agree to leave her at least in the District. Good luck, I hope what you both want is available.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    crp62885

--
    05 May 2015 10:09 AM
    How does it work like priority wise? top people in the class get first picks? We're in RI currently. If Newport was avaialble and she wanted it, but someone moving from lets say California wanted it as well, wouldn't it make more sense for us to stay here?

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 May 2015 10:16 AM
    Just because it might make more sense doesn't mean that's how it will play out. Class ranking has a lot to do with it but it isn't the only deciding factor. Again, it is needs of the service, not needs of the family. If someone else wants the billet, it is available and the CG wants to flip flop the 2 of you, I hope you like California. It can happen. It might not happen. They might see a benefit in keeping you more centrally located to where you are already. They might not. It is a waiting game to see. No amount of worrying or overthinking it right now will change what is available and who gets assigned there. So just hang in until picks are out and then see where the chips fall.

Also, I think... I'm not 100% on this. I don't think they will allow her to stay at the same tenant command. If she is on the Seneca in Boston. I don't think they will allow her to go back to the Seneca as a Petty Officer. They might allow her to go to the Escanaba. Same city, same pier, same location, just a different command. We were stationed at Support Center Kodiak. After A School my husband was assigned to Marine Safety Detachment Kodiak. We didn't have to change a thing. He just went to the big yellow building instead of the big brown building. But it wasn't within the same command structure. Again, just hang in there and see what the picks are that are available. Then it will be easier for you to guess where you might be headed. It is frustrating but millions of Coast Guard families have been facing these same predicaments for a couple hundred years now.

May I ask why it is so imperative you stay where you are? If it is of a more personal nature, or something you just aren't comfortable sharing, by all means, please know you don't have to. I'm just curious.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    crp62885

--
    05 May 2015 10:21 AM
    Im born and raised here, Shes currently based out of point judith, and we're recently married. I know she cant go back to PJ, but I was hoping something in Boston, Newport, Or New London will be available.

My thinking is we live with two friends and pay a very very small amount for rent. Id love to travel, but Financially for us I think one more stretch here will do use very well with all the money we could save. If we even lived with them for one more year, we'd have over $10,000 saved (without putting any other money in there) easily.

Im still struggling with the idea of leaving people i've know my entire life as well. But ready and willing to move if needed.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    05 May 2015 06:53 PM
    You can go back to the same command. We actually had a kid who went back to his old boat after A School. I think it was a terrible idea, but it was what he wanted and the billet was on our pick list.

It comes down to what picks your class has available, though.

As for saving money, I am active duty while my husband goes to school and we have saved $10k in the last year while also making payments on my school loans and contributing to retirement. We could have easily saved more if that was our goal. So don't think you can't save wherever you are. You just have to adjust your life accordingly.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 May 2015 11:17 PM
    I would think that was a horrible idea. I can't imagine why you would want to go back to the command you just left where everyone knows you as a nonrate, not a petty officer. Odd but that's why I said I wasn't 100% sure.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    06 May 2015 06:00 AM
    They went by sea time and time in service for ours. I got my number one pick because no one wanted it. The major cities are usually the biggest fight. I know our class had some issues because some southeast billets were open and one in hawaii.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    06 May 2015 03:41 PM
    I know a girl also that went back to the same boat after a-school, part of it was being Colocated member to member with her husband in Seattle.

Pros are, you already know the quals, so meh whatever. And, if she's not going to the same shop, your working for completely different people. When I struck I made BM3 on the same boat that I was a FN and SN on, I had some baggage but my department saw me as a third
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    06 May 2015 04:37 PM
    Posted By TheLonelyOS on 06 May 2015 06:00 AM
    They went by sea time and time in service for ours. I got my number one pick because no one wanted it. The major cities are usually the biggest fight. I know our class had some issues because some southeast billets were open and one in hawaii.

In my class everyone got their #1 or #2 pick....except for the one guy who got his last pick. Like literally his last pick. Also the kid that went back to his old unit didn't even go back as a third. He went as a SNFS which I think is even worse. But to each his own. he was comfortable there and it was what he wanted.
    crp62885

--
    09 May 2015 08:12 AM
    Im at least hoping for something on the east coast.. but im in for the long haul either way.. thanks for the replies.
    crp62885

--
    17 May 2015 02:49 PM
    Update, we're off to Portsmouth, VA it looks like... she'll be on a cutter.

Anyone ever lived there?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 May 2015 05:01 PM
    Well it is the east coast. Congratulations. I'm guessing she is on a 270. Colin was on the Seneca out of Boston, he loved it. We lived in Fredericksburg but I know people that have been in Portsmouth.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    crp62885

--
    18 May 2015 08:41 AM
    Yes, im very happy that we are at least going to be on the east coast... and about halfway between both our families...

I have to admit, when she sent me the list of potential places.. my heart sank quite a bit... there were only 4 billets on the east coast on there... 1 Ct, and 3 in Va. The part that scared me was the 2 Alaska and one GITMO on the list... with her having a low priority, I thought we were doomed!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 May 2015 11:07 AM
    Nothing wrong with venturing out of your comfort zone a little. We went to Alaska straight out of boot camp and we are from NJ. No one in our family had ever been to the Mississippi, never mind west of it! I was 19, he was 22 and we were off... It was quite the adventure. But if you are happy with slightly smaller baby steps, that's ok, too! I'm glad you're moving a little but not too much. I don't think I would want GITMO. I hate the heat, I think that would absolutely kill me! Although we did go to New Orleans after Alaska, then back to Alaska! LOL

You'll have a good time. You'll see new things and be able to share with family that will still be somewhat close by. What ship is she headed to? Are you ready for boat life?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    crp62885

--
    18 May 2015 12:25 PM
    Im not ready at all, to be honest. Haha. I gave my notice at my job today (will stay on with them until end of June) but I figured since I knew what was going on, the more time I can give them to replace me the better. I believe she said she will be on the Tampa.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 May 2015 01:40 PM
    Nice, that is a 270. About 2 months in port, 2 months out. That isn't too bad. Colin sailed to many places on the Seneca including through the Panama Canal, down to Costa Rica and up into Canada. She will do the Caribbean, Canada, who knows where else. You'll enjoy it. Just make sure you don't isolate yourself. Make friends with other spouses in the command, make local friends. It will be a lot easier if you have some sort of support while she is gone.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    joseywalez

--
    19 May 2015 07:56 AM
    Honestly, it could be worse. I'm actually on my way to Alaska after being in the Portsmouth/Norfolk area for the last 4 years. First, unless yoru trying to get a discount, no one cares that your in the military since its like 70% here and mostly Navy. If it's just you two then it'll be better because the beach is right there. Second, traffic sucks!! avoid all tunnels and bridges if possible. Sine you are going to Portsmouth, I recommend living in Suffolk or Western Branch because the rest of Portsmouth is a S-hole. If want info about the area let me know! good luck
    crp62885

--
    19 May 2015 09:14 AM
    Old Guard,

I'm a bit of a socal butterfly.. so making friends shouldnt be too much of an issue. I bowl and play pool in leagues up here, so I should be able to find that kinda stuff down there and fit right in.

Josey,

I've been looking at housing in Portsmouth, and it looks like theres some nice, and some not so nice parts.. I know she'd like to be closer to work, so I think we're going end up in that town..
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 May 2015 12:54 PM
    I'm not sure if there is base housing there or not???? If there is, that will make housing a piece of cake. If not, just make sure you look at everything and are sure. But remember it isn't forever. I don't suggest you move next door Hell's Angels hangout but if it isn't perfect, you aren't staying. You know in a few years you are outta there.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    joseywalez

--
    19 May 2015 01:18 PM
    Around the base is pretty nice. THere are some decent apartments along route 58 or even some small houses depending on what you are looking for. Luckily the base is in a decent location for portsmouth. A simple rule to follow is if there is a 7-11 near by... stay away haha
    crp62885

--
    19 May 2015 01:43 PM
    Is there any extracurricular stuff on the base? a gym? Bowling alley? Grocery store? is there somewhere I can find this info?
    joseywalez

--
    19 May 2015 02:30 PM
    No, it's a relatively small base, but there are Navy bases around that have a Commissary and bowling alley. There is a lot to do around here and events always happening in the area so I would just look online for that kind of stuff. Hope you like baseball because there is a Minor legue here and tickets are relatively cheap to just go out and have a good time at the ball park. My wife and I love to go to Botanical Gardens with our kids, very peacful. Most events happen in Norfolk or Virginia beach so it's basically just trying to find a place to park.
    crp62885

--
    19 May 2015 02:36 PM
    I love baseball.. ill spend alot of time there I figured already. lol

What about helping with getting employment.. is there anyone I can inquire to about that?
    joseywalez

--
    20 May 2015 07:50 AM
    http://www.uscg.mil/worklife/spouse...oyment.asp

Go to this site and talk to someone at worklife. They will most likely talk/send you info about work opportunities. I'm not exactly sure what they will tell you but they gave my wife fliers and a package about different jobs on the base in Alaska, but you'll be in an area that has tons of opportunity. Just depends on your specialty or what kind of work you want to do.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement