Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Hydrocortisone and max weight
Last Post 23 May 2015 03:29 PM by Bells. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
YoungGuns

--
19 May 2015 02:23 PM
    So I have two questions right now but I'm keeping them under one post.

1: When I shave on a frequent basis (once every 3 days) I develop some pretty nice razor burn under neath my jaw and along the bottom of my beard area. What really helps me is using hydro cortisone and after shave gel to keep the irritation down and, for the most part, keeps it from lasting for more than an hour or so. I was wondering if we are allowed to bring or will have access to the cortisone during boot camp? Especially if I have to shave more often.

2: Before I went down to MEPS I was over my weight limit of 191 at 198. I managed to get it down to 181, but since then in the past month, its risen to 187. Someone was telling me that I need to be more than ten pounds under the limit or I won't ship to basic. Is this true or am I good to go right now?
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    19 May 2015 02:46 PM
    1. Every 3 days is not a frequent basis. Once in the Coast Guard you will have to shave every day. In boot camp, probably twice a day. Maybe the reason you are getting razor burn is because you are shaving so infrequently and letting the hair get too long. You can bring hydrocortisone but you most likely won't have time to put it on. You will not have that kind of time at all.

2.You are not good to go right now. If you're weight is fluctuating so much, you will likely have a hard time your entire career. Its best to find a healthy way to drop the weight and keep it off. You're going to have to get that weight down. You don't want to be that person who is scrambling to drop weight by starving, dehydrating, and every other unhealthy way that people do it around the CG. Technically if you are over your max allowable weight at the end of boot camp, you cannot go to your first unit.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    19 May 2015 04:26 PM
    Like mkelly said you will have to shave a lot in basic. Sometimes they take the whole company in and do shaving and shower drills while screaming at you. They will come up to you and stare at your face trying to find the smallest trace of hair, trust me you don’t want them to find any. There were a few people in my company that had problems with razor burn and they basically just had to live through it. If its bad... and I mean super bad, I think you can get a shaving chit in basic but I cant remember.

Within the first few days of boot camp they have you unpack all your items and set aside anything that you think could be contraband, if they ok it at that stage your good, if not it gets thrown out. So I would bring hydrocortisone if you need it, worse case it gets thrown out, but again as mkelly said you likely will not have time to put on hydrocortisone.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    20 May 2015 06:21 AM
    The standard for shipping recruits is 10 lbs under their max weight. However, I personally will send folks as long as they are 5 lbs under. The weight standards have changed so you are able to get taped now. Talk with your recruiter to discuss those changes.
    This is what I would do. I would suggest staying under your max weight. To do that you need to change your eating habits. You dropped to 181 then gained 6 lbs? Also, you need to take this serious and maintain a regular workout regimen and eat right. Your flirting with something that will stop you from shipping to boot camp on your assigned date and very possibly keep you from joining period.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 May 2015 07:11 AM
    To add to AirDale... Once you are in it can keep you from going to A School. It can keep you from promoting. I think it can hold up your orders and keep you from transferring. It can get you tossed out. Plenty have been. If you are teetering right there, you really do need to follow AirDale's advice and get on a good regimen.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    21 May 2015 03:36 PM
    In regards to the hydrocortisone, there was a member of my company just a few weeks ago that got prescribed hydrocortisone for the same exact issue as you, as well as some acne medication. That having been said, if you bring it there's about a 0% chance you're going to be able to take it with you into training. But you can go to medical and, if they agree you have a need for it, they'll give it to you.

That having been said, in my experience shaving every day keeps irritation down. If I shaved every 3 days, I'd get razor burn too. If you have somewhat sensitive skin like me, shaving really is an all-or-nothing deal. Try shaving every day and see how it feels after a week or so.

As for the weight stuff, if you do make it to boot camp I have one bit of advice: mind the chewy bars. Every night you'll be given the opportunity to eat two of these delicious granola bars before bed. They add up to something like 520 calories. There were several members of my company that were borderline overweight and had actually put weight on, and those extra 520 calories at the end of the day don't help. On the other hand, we had a few people who were on the heavier side who had lost 15-20 pounds by the end of training, and they had largely avoided the chewy bars.
    USCG STA New York, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    21 May 2015 08:38 PM
    Try this for shaving, many say it is great...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shave-Sec...z/10324376
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    23 May 2015 03:29 PM
    OG is right, if you are overweight twice and have to go on our weight program twice, you get kicked out. But once you are in you can get taped. But if you are over weight, then change some habits.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement