Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Weight requirements??
Last Post 02 Apr 2008 09:01 PM by cindy. 20 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
valma89

--
29 Mar 2008 05:27 PM
    Does anyone know the weight requirements at Boot Camp? I'm a male, 5'11 at 200 pounds and i ship out in a week. My recruiter told me that they send people home for being a pound over but he said he didnt know the weight requirements when i asked. Anyone??

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ana

--
    29 Mar 2008 05:48 PM
    how can your recruiter not know? It's different for every individual, because they measure your height and wrist size...so from there your weight range is calculated.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library...htmale.htm you can look at that..

(FUTURE)USCG OS
    Anchorage, AK

os3 in sector baltimore md.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    poogotflung

--
    29 Mar 2008 06:02 PM
    My recruiter and the guys at meps measured around my wrist and told me that i can only be at 189 lbs.   That seemed like a lot of people stood in that catagory.  Im sure you can find a chart on the Intranet somewheres
    valma89

--
    29 Mar 2008 06:05 PM
    sweet, so IF i measured myself correctly then i should be ok. at least I got a week to work hard and get down a few more pounds in weight. is there a web site that shows all the other requirements/medical screening stuff? or does anyone know what they check for or look for?

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    29 Mar 2008 06:36 PM
    You can also check the Coast Guard site....there's a 55 page pdf document on there that explains the weight/physical fitness standards. I found it a few weeks ago....think I searched for "weight requirements" and it came up. Not to take away anything from what ana posted....the stuff on that site is probably accurate....but I'm thinking it's better to look at what comes officially from the CG. As far as the medical screening goes, I've been told they'll go over you with a fine-toothed comb those first few days in boot camp. If they find anything out of the ordinary with someone, I'm sure there's a possibility they could be sent home. I would think that if you put down every little medical detail on your forms before you went to meps and you breezed through that, then you should be ok. Hope that info helps alittle.

Laurie

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    29 Mar 2008 06:44 PM
    COMDTINST M1020.8F, WEIGHT/PHYSICAL FITNESS STANDARDS FOR COAST GUARD MILITARY PERSONNEL. Enclosure 1. It tells you how to measure your frame size. Without the frame size, all you can glean from the table is that anything more than 229 is right out.
    valma89

--
    29 Mar 2008 07:31 PM
    alright awesome, so i did measure myself correctly and right now im right at the limit so im gonna bust my butt this week and get down in some weight :) thank you Everyone for all the replies so far!

hey wepprop, in the link you gave me i read this:

"All military personnel shall be screened against the height and weight standards of Enclosure (1) semiannually every October and April."

I don't get what that means entirely and what October and April has to do with anything? I leave in April so thats why I'm concerned

-Vic

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    29 Mar 2008 07:34 PM
    What that says is that everyone in the Coast Guard is supposed to be checked every October and April.
    valma89

--
    29 Mar 2008 07:39 PM
    ohh ok i see. i thought that had something to do with being in boot camp and getting screened differently. thanks!

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    31 Mar 2008 09:08 AM
    everyone is checked~
    and if weight is over and not brought down~
    it becomes an issue! coast guard has very strict
    regulations about weight and they expect their
    enlisted personnel to maintain their weight!

Jen
    Proud Coastguard Mom
    SN Church, Brittney R.
    USCGC Alex Haley, Kodiak, AK
    "Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    cindy

--
    31 Mar 2008 10:05 AM
    good luck on your weight issue, I can tell you first hand, it is a matter that is taken quite seriously.  my son was disqualified (temporarily) at cape may after day 1, he was 2 or 3 lbs overweight.  he was sent home and had to go to the recruiters office weekly, for weigh ins.  he did make the weight and left for boot last tues 3-25. 
                                   keep jogging, 
                                                       cindy
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    katiensb

--
    31 Mar 2008 11:37 AM
    Haha..cindy, that's cute. How is Jon doing? More importantly, from one Mom to another...how are YOU doing? Look at it this way...wek one is ALREADY passed....
    Take Care,

Katie

Katie
             New Smyrna Beach, Florida

valma89

--
    31 Mar 2008 03:29 PM
    man thats intense. my recruiter told me the same, that if youre even ONE pound over its back home you go! i havent been doing much running in the last couple weeks but ive been focusing more on my swimming, push ups, sit ups and on the stationary bike.

cindy

--
    31 Mar 2008 04:56 PM
    can't believe that one week has passed and i'm okay, and he's still there....
    i did have my doubts especially when I read one post that said some recruits were "sent home"..  does anyone know why they would be sent home besides a medical reason????? 
    also, when will i know what company he's in, the web site dosen't seem to update their info very often.  according to one of the prior posts i think i can write and just put for the company "unknown".. any advice on that???
    meanwhile jon's room has never been cleaner, but the house has never been quieter.....
                                      cindy
    bookwrm

--
    31 Mar 2008 06:00 PM
    Hi cindy,
    my son is in week 6 at Cape May. We've only had a 2 minute phone call, and a couple of letters. They are really busy there, I can't imagine how it goes, I can't wait to ask him all about it when he gets home. I want to know: Is it really like that filmed piece called It's Just 8 Weeks?
    I know, our house is way too quiet with him gone. I actually do miss him barging through the door like Kramer from Seinfeld and being his crazy self.
    p.s. at least yours left his room clean!
    cindy

--
    31 Mar 2008 08:58 PM
    his clean room is NOT to his credit, I actually had to bring the outside garbage can into his room just to fit the clutter that i got rid of, and i am spending way too much time in there anyway,
    Can I confess here to smelling pillow cases???????? I know i'm a basket case, but i really do miss him......
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    31 Mar 2008 10:25 PM
    Hey Cindy,
    I don't know if anyone has told you yet but when my daughters went to boot camp, they sent a form letter home during their first week. It had their company name and complete mailing address included in it. I believe I got it on the following Tuesday or Wednesday after they left. So if you haven't received yours yet, you will in the next day or two! Also, I've never heard of anyone being sent home from boot camp after being there for a week unless a medical problem shows up that wasn't picked up during the first few days of medical screening. I'm sure there are situations where people are kicked out for screwing up but I'm thinking they'd have to do something really drastic for that to happen. I know you won't have to worry about that with your son. They do run the risk of being reverted....they are held back at least a week and aren't able to graduate with their company....but again, we're talking stuff like talking back to their CC's, failing tests, things like that and in your case, I wouldn't worry about that, either. I know exactly what you're feeling right now....sent two daughters up to Cape May.... it's such a stressful time. Always remember, we're here for you!

Laurie

cindy

--
    02 Apr 2008 10:04 AM
    thanks for the info, i did receive the form letter with jon's handwriting on the outside, I was real nervous, thought that maybe it was some sort of problem letter, like he was misbehaving , or something like that.....
    the form letter didn't include the name of his company though, but from reading the previous companys names i am able to fiqure out the initial that his company would start with, do you think i should include that on the address or should i just be patient and wait for the official name before mailing the 10 letters that we've already written, addressed and can't wait to mail?????????
    cindy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    02 Apr 2008 11:05 AM
    If it were me, I guess I might wait another day or two before sending anything because it's very possible you could get a personal letter from your son this week, too. Then you'd know for certain which company he's in and which hall he's living in. They're given alittle bit of time every Sunday morning to write letters. It isn't much time but both of my girls managed to squeak out at least a couple of lines that first Sunday they were up there. The letters arrived on Thursday and their return address on the envelope had everything I needed to get my mail to them. I know how you're feeling....every official looking letter I got from Cape May made me nervous....every time the phone rang, I'd jump a couple of feet, thinking it was bad news or something. It's a nerve-wracking time but thankfully, it does seem to pass by fairly quickly, at least it did for me.

Laurie

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    katiensb

--
    02 Apr 2008 01:17 PM
    Also. my kid said that sometimes the CC's "frowned" upon too much mail, so maybe spread them out over a few days. I sent Allison a card or letter everyday she was gone. Sometimes if the Company was bad, they didn't get their mail....She said in her first letter, that knowing she would have a letter from home helped her get through the day.

Remember...no news is good news......they will only call if their is a problem First week is all medical, can be sent home for that...Also if CC find the recruit isn't fit for for military....if there is a sexual harrassment complaint ( happened to my daughter)It was an experience for her...her CC dealt with it right away and the CG was wonderful, and so was her company. Guy got kicked out.

So don't worry, he'll be fine and so will you......

Katie,

Mom of:

SN Allison Phillips
             USCG Station Fire Island, N.Y.

Katie
             New Smyrna Beach, Florida

cindy

--
    02 Apr 2008 09:01 PM
    I compromised and mailed 3 letters today, with the company blank, I think the letters will get to him eventually, hopefully sooner than later.
    katie, what an experiene your daughter went thru those 8 weeks, now thats growing up, don't think anyone's gonna hit on jon, and visa versa, so he's pretty safe in that dept...funny though because his recruiter told him numerous times about the harassement issue........
    now if he can just turn the other cheek when the screaming starts......
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement