Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
80 college hours and bilingual - recruiter said not important.
Last Post 09 Jul 2015 04:41 AM by TheLonelyOS. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sako_hopar

--
05 Jul 2015 03:06 AM
    I have 80 completed semester hours at an accredited university and I am bilingual (fluent in Armenian). My recruiter said none of it is pertinent and marked on my forms "High School diploma only" and "No" to fluency in another language. 

I just read I can go in as an E3 with my college hours. Is he holding back from something that could be benefiting me? It's important to me because I am already taking a pay cut as it is to serve my country. I also just had a baby. 
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    05 Jul 2015 04:24 AM
    There are recruiters on here that can probably answer this more accurately, but as for me, I would make sure that's corrected. Whether or not it's "pertinent" or not, it makes more sense to have that paperwork accurate.

The fluency will probably come into play more once you're in. You'll have a test you can take, however I've never heard of an Armenian linguist billet, so I dunno how much it'll help.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Jul 2015 01:27 PM
    E3 is only given to those with completed bachelor's degrees. You can a thousand credited hours, no degree... High school diploma only. I don't think the CG has much need for Armenian. Spanish, yes. Armenian, not so much.

You say you just had a baby. You, personally or your wife? There is a time frame you need to wait after having a child if YOU had the child. Also, are you married? That also makes a difference. Only the 1 child, 1 spouse? Also making a difference.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    sako_hopar

--
    05 Jul 2015 01:59 PM
    My wife had the baby, we are married.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    05 Jul 2015 06:36 PM
    Like they said, you need a degree to come in as an E-3 and I've also never heard of a benefit for fluency for armenian. The only way it would have benefited you if it was a desired language was if you were going to act as a translator in a specific billet/job so since there isn't a need, then that's why its not relevant at this time.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    06 Jul 2015 07:51 PM
    OP: Every October a new recruiting year begins. With each new year comes new incentives for enlisting. Currently for FY15 you need a Bachelors degree to come in as an E3. This will remain the same for FY16. You may have read that 60 credits gives you E3, but unfortunately that is not being offered nor will it be for the next fiscal year. Now this can change at any time which means that your recruiter/recruiting office will ALWAYS have the latest information. So YES your recruiter is giving you correct information.
    Being fluent in a second language is great but it does nothing for enlistment purposes. You MAY utilize it during your career but I highly doubt it. Your 80 units is important for you. You are close to a degree, can be eligible for OCS with active time and rank, etc.
    If you don't have an associates then that means your level of education is a HS diploma with some college. So marking that you only have a HS diploma is correct.
    Also keep in mind that E3 is reached with time served, you'll make it with 8 months in.
    sako_hopar

--
    08 Jul 2015 12:10 AM
    Thank you guys for all the information.
    sako_hopar

--
    08 Jul 2015 12:41 AM
    Reading through other military forums people always recommend reading through every word on their contract before signing, but it seems like everything is pretty simple and clear for everyone and consistent.

Score on your ASVAB/AFQT determines eligibility of rate (granted physically and medically you pass), go to boot camp, do well and pass all tests and qualifications and put name on A-school list, continue to do well, go to A-school, etc.

I like it, it's simple and makes sense.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    09 Jul 2015 04:41 AM
    Doesn't get more cut and dry then that.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement