Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Eagle Scout in the Coast Guard
Last Post 01 Sep 2020 01:18 PM by ACWest. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sandeent9

--
21 Jul 2015 05:33 PM
    I achieved my Eagle Scout rank in 2013 and now I'm waiting on a medical waiver to come through. So I was told by my recruiter that they do not do Eagle Scouts for E-3 anymore? Does anyone know why? My brother was able to get a rank increase for his back in 2012 so it kinda sucks for me..
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    21 Jul 2015 06:12 PM
    It all comes down to budget and the decision is made by HQ, not the recruiting command. The limited qualifiers in effect for E-3 are continuing for FY16.

At least you've learned some great skills for life and service in the military, despite the lack of a monetary reward.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    22 Jul 2015 07:53 AM
    Absolutely agree with Storms. Both my sons are Eagles, and both are in the Coast Guard. It will stand you in good stead. I've recommended people for hire because they were Eagles.
    SparkSkipper

--
    17 Sep 2015 02:25 PM
    I was a little stunned when my Eagle Scout son (also Venturing Silver & OA Vigil Honor) was told by his Seattle-based recruiter that they don't need many people now, so there's no incentive to award Eagles with immediate advancement to SN. They don't need many people now? Anyone read the ALCOAST 346; FY16 ACTIVE DUTY ENLISTED WORKFORCE MANAGEMENT CRITICAL RATE SITREP 1? HQ will be dumping at least a few million dollars to try to solve the shortfall, but they "don't need many people"?

Where is this budgetary decision made in PERSCOM? Is is delegated to RECRUITCOM? This has to be waiverable. I'm observing this same PO1 recruiter rescheduling applicant after applicant to retake their ASVABs to qualify, yet LEGACY non-minority Eagles with stratospheric ASVAB scores aren't solicited? Huh?
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    17 Sep 2015 09:09 PM
    Its not a massive increase in pay or position. Its a 6 month difference of waiting from one pay grade to another at that level. Maybe a bit of a bummer but in the scheme of things, its small potatoes and doesn't really matter anyways. Being an Eagle Scout makes you a good candidate but its really not a reason to make somebody an E-3 instead of an E-2. Thats not really a fight worth having. Thats like complaining that you're not 21 a day before your 21st birthday.

Also, the ASVAB is an aptitude test. There really is no such thing as a stratospheric ASVAB score as it compares you to others taking the same test. You get a percentile, not a massive score. I'm sure Eagle Scouts are solicited but they aren't given a pay grade increase.

Bummer that it isn't happening anymore but thats the way things go. I tell you what, I wish they gave rescue swimmers retention bonuses since we never seem to be be at full capacity.
    Great job at making Eagle Scout, I'm sure it was one of the reasons you will get into the Coast Guard, and its not too hard to get from E-2 to E-3.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    17 Sep 2015 11:52 PM
    While attaining Eagle is a huge milestone in life, it's not necessarily all there is. That being said, I congratulate you on this accomplishment. My oldest attained Eagle in December and while he's learned some incredible life skills, even he realizes (and shares this with other scouts) Eagle isn't all there is. You have to build on that title. It's prestigious - but entitles you only to the title.
    Mike Rowe said it best: "It's an area you've succeeded where others have failed. That could be the start of a very positive pattern, or something else." True, you don't see the bump in pay, but what you loose in $$ you gained in life skills and confidence. You'll do well as a Coast Guardsman - another area where some have succeeded and many have not. Good luck in your journey. S/P
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    18 Sep 2015 08:55 AM
    Posted By SparkSkipper on 17 Sep 2015 03:25 PM
    I was a little stunned when my Eagle Scout son (also Venturing Silver & OA Vigil Honor) was told by his Seattle-based recruiter that they don't need many people now, so there's no incentive to award Eagles with immediate advancement to SN. They don't need many people now? Anyone read the ALCOAST 346; FY16 ACTIVE DUTY ENLISTED WORKFORCE MANAGEMENT CRITICAL RATE SITREP 1? HQ will be dumping at least a few million dollars to try to solve the shortfall, but they "don't need many people"?

Where is this budgetary decision made in PERSCOM? Is is delegated to RECRUITCOM? This has to be waiverable. I'm observing this same PO1 recruiter rescheduling applicant after applicant to retake their ASVABs to qualify, yet LEGACY non-minority Eagles with stratospheric ASVAB scores aren't solicited? Huh?
    Did you read the ALCOAST in it's entirety?  It specifically states that the money you speak of is for certain ratings (OS, MK, FS, ET, EM).  What is it that needs to be waiverable and why?  As far as what the recruiter is doing, are you sitting there in the RO on a daily basis, watching all these things that you describe?

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    19 Sep 2015 12:45 PM
    He's interested in your son isn't he. No one is entitled to join the Coast Guard, you are either selected or you are not. Making rank from E2-E3 takes about a weeks worth of studying and sign offs and 6 months time in grade. Also needed is the commands recommended for advancement. So still, no one is entitled to anything. People need to prove to the recruiter that they are suitable to join, and then to their command that they are suitable to advance. Doing community stuff is great, but while it is likely to put you ahead of some people when looking for jobs, it doesn't entitle you to anything afterwards.

Giving eagle scouts E3 stopped way before this bonus solicitation came out, maybe even as much as 2 years ago. We have alot of people getting out but that doesn't mean we are hurting for people. We are at a healthy retention rate that finally has allowed for some advancement and for getting nonrates to a-school quicker.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    22 Sep 2015 01:46 PM
    Ok, I understand there is parental bias in the comment sparkskipper but if your son is talking to a recruiter and the only issue is that he won't get E-3 because he is an eagle scout, then I don't see a real problem. So he wasn't called on the phone to come in. Your son figured out how to get in touch with the recruiter.

From a guy that no longer has a dog in the fight, I have to say your comment "yet LEGACY non-minority Eagles with stratospheric ASVAB scores aren't solicited?" kind of threw me since nothing in that statement make someone more desirable to be in the Coast Guard than anyone else. Besides, do you think recruiters have big lists of who just became eagle scouts, or lists of all the legacies in their area?

1. Legacy - Really? The CG is not a frat house. If you were a recruiter, why would you care if someone's parent was in the CG. It won't make that person a better Coastie.
    2. Non-minority - That doesn't deserve front of the line privileges either. Diversity is a good thing. Quality is the important thing, not the color of your skin.
    3. Stratospheric ASVAB scores - Ok, a very good thing and will certainly help determine suitability for some jobs but I know many with high scores that shouldn't have spent a day in the military.

Finally, to get back on topic:
    4. Eagle Scout - It is a neat thing for the military to recognize someone with Eagle Scout by giving them a bit more pay for a while because it might be an indication of character. If the CG is getting enough good potential recruits without needing the eagle scout carrot, why offer it?

In truth, the only people who really care about Eagle Scout are other boy scouts. Nobody else really knows what it is and most have never heard of it. Of course it is a big deal to those who have done it and those that have been exposed to it, but to the rest of the world it doesn't mean that much.

Point being, for Sandeet, yes it does stink that it isn't offered anymore but if you join the military and have the same focus you needed to be an Eagle Scout, you will advance fast enough that it won't matter in the long run. Good luck.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    23 Sep 2015 08:33 AM
    1. Legacy - Really? The CG is not a frat house. If you were a recruiter, why would you care if someone's parent was in the CG. It won't make that person a better Coastie.

As a Marine Brat.. that one was a little important to me.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    23 Sep 2015 11:13 AM
    In what way? As a qualifier to get into the service or as a desire for someone to go into the military to follow their parent's footsteps? Or another reason?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Sep 2015 11:50 AM
    My son is a "legacy" because his dad was active duty for 30 years. The only thing it got us was when we walked into the recruiting office, Chief asked if we had any questions. We looked at each other, smiled and Colin said "My dad's a Commander, Chief. I don't really have many questions." It got us an hour in the Chief's office swapping sea stories of being a Coastie family. Anything above and beyond that, Colin earned on his own, not because his dad was anyone all that important. His dad just put on the blues, nothing more. If his dad had never put on the uniform, Colin still would have earned exactly what he did because he received it on HIS MERIT, not his fathers. Same with his career up to this point... He is an OS2 because he earned OS2. Not because his dad is a retired O6. Who cares? That was his fathers course in the CG. Colin has plotted something completely different for himself.

I've heard plenty of recruiters say the guy that scored a 98 was a dirtbag and I wouldn't want to serve alongside him. The guy that scored a 68, maybe not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he has a heart that's in the right place and I think he'll make a great shipmate. Guess who sees Cape May first??? Not the 98 "stratospheric" ASVAB. Also, like others have mentioned, you can't get anything higher than a 99... so really, how "stratospheric" are we talking?

You have heart advocating for your son. But I think you are going about it in the wrong way and possibly setting him up for let down in life. No one is more stratospheric than anyone else. We are all just in this game together. Some just test better, doesn't mean they are a better person in any way, shape or form.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    23 Sep 2015 10:49 PM
    Spark,
    I've read & re-read your post along with the others and something else needs to be added. I've been involved in scouting either as a youth or adult leader over 20 years. My oldest was decorated with his Eagle last year, and my youngest is hot on his heels. Nobody here is taking away the achievement that your son has attained, and I understand the pride you feel. We know the commitment it takes for a young man to attain the Eagle rank. BUT...While it's prestigious and has definitely made your son a better man, it's not all there is.

The Venturing Silver Award is the same way. I earned that many years ago, and while it helped me, it didn't make me. As we go through life we write our own ticket. The qualities we attain while growing up will obviously help, but we have to show our worth. Yes, our sons are Eagles. But for those who don't know them, the truth is, nobody really cares. Sadly scouting isn't what it once was, and people don't really understand what it's about.

You and your son should be proud of the achievement. But the medal and certificate are only as good as the man who it was awarded to. Tell your son to make the Coast Guard want him not because he's an Eagle, but because he's going to be an OUTSTANDING Coastie. That's what counts here.
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    24 Sep 2015 05:33 AM
    Or another reason?

Generally, kids who grew up in the military have a better grasp of what they're getting into, adapt quicker, etc. And, military brats have a bond. A kid who grew up in the same house from age 0-18 is gonna have a hard time wrapping his head around a kid who lived in 10 different states/countries between 0-18 and vice versa. It's not a matter of one is better than the other, the conversations flow was very different between the two.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Sep 2015 08:46 AM
    I have many Coastie Mom friends and they all talk about when their Coastie comes home they barely see him/her because they are off with their friends. Well, my Coastie has lived so many places, I've moved around so much. when Colin comes home to see me... He has to see me. He doesn't know anyone here. LOL A plus to being a Coastie mom with a Coastie background and having gypsy blood.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    tc1uscg

--
    26 Aug 2020 01:54 PM
    I understand this is an old thread but still feel compelled to toss in my two cents. My oldest started his scouting path when I was at my last unit before retiring. But I seen him and his younger brother attain the rank of eagle scout. I spent all those years as either leader in cubs and boy scout level. Understanding it USE to be a given that you bumped to E3 upon graduation from boot camp, I don't agree that JROTC  or what I read, signing for 6 years should be a qualifier to getting promoted to E3. The reasons behind JRTOC I can accept as long as said person did more then just "participate", but the before mentioned, such as leaderhips, do not magically appear because you sign for 6 years or participate in JROTC. If ANYTHING, seascouts or the Navy Sea Cadets program should be the only qualifier to obtain a rank
    Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines: Eagle Scout // Girl Scout Gold award, advanced to E3 upon starting boot camp or after graduation. See a trend here?  I feel the CG has made a mistake by not recognizing the true value brought to the table from young adults who from the 1st grade started on a path to achieve these ranks. And I'm sure to take heat here, IMO, I'll take a kid from scouts any-day over a 3 year JRTOC participate.  Just my experience but that ended 21 years ago when I retired.  
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    26 Aug 2020 08:54 PM
    The Coast Guard does currently grant E3 for Eagle Scout when enlisting.  Also these are just ways for the Coast Guard to attract people to join.  When they are desperate for people they offer incentives such as higher pay grades.  There is no practical difference between E2 and E3 in the Coast Guard anyway.
    ACWest

--
    01 Sep 2020 01:18 PM
    I'm an Eagle Scout, and I went to a high school where JROTC was mandatory for freshmen and sophomores, and optional for juniors and seniors.  Like a dummy, I opted out of JROTC my junior and senior years.  When I enlisted twenty-nine-years ago, it never occurred to me to put Eagle Scout on my paperwork, and the subject never came up.  Two years of JROTC did get me in as an E-2 instead of an E-1.  (Do E-1s even exist anymore other than after disciplinary action?)  Anyway, between Scouting and two years of JROTC, there wasn't much in Boot Camp in 1991 that I hadn't been exposed to.  The JROTC years gave be a head start on marching, customs and courtesies, manual of arms, etc.  Scouting made knots, first aid, swimming, physical training, firefighting, and a few more things a breeze.  When I retired, the only people I invited to my retirement other than family and shipmates was my former Scoutmaster and his wife.  I made a point to thank him, and Scouting, for helping the USCG get someone who was ready to be "Semper Paratus" because I grew up living by "Be Prepared."

Don't knock JROTC too much.  I guess it depends on how the programs are run.  A buddy of mine from high school and college enlisted at the same time as I did.  Fortunately, we ended up in different companies.  He never spent a day in Scouting, but did all four years of JROTC in high school.  yeah, he went in as an E-3, but he also graduated as the top recruit out of our three Company recruit class in 1991 (Foxtrot,Golf, and Hotel 137.)  
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement