Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Hawaii
Last Post 19 Oct 2015 02:56 PM by Whitlow513. 20 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Whitlow513

--
27 Jul 2015 11:48 AM
    Looks like its going to be cutter sherman based out of honolulu. is anyone else there? new coastie family here. thanks so much
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Jul 2015 02:10 PM
    Congratulations. I hope you are excited about the orders. You should find the Facebook page or the Spouses Facebook page for the command. You can have a lot of questions answered. That should be a great first station. My son just left a 378, so I might be able to help answer some basic questions about the shiplife.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Whitlow513

--
    27 Jul 2015 10:47 PM
    thanks so much old guard. didnt think to look on facebook for their page. we have everything else solid, except the damn dog!! ugh, such a headache. he doesnt have rabies and that should be the end of it, but i guess not . i know they want to keep the island rabies-free but jeesh!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    28 Jul 2015 03:17 AM
    It's a very long process to bring a dog to Hawaii. I would honestly just hire a pet transport company. They'll take care of everything
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Whitlow513

--
    28 Jul 2015 08:24 PM
    yes he gets his blood work tomorrow, then starts the lovely 120 day waiting period. thank goodness we found someone here to watch him until that time has passed and he can come
    sako_hopar

--
    29 Jul 2015 07:10 PM
    So wait, unlike going to Guam the dog doesn't have to be quarantined?
    Whitlow513

--
    29 Jul 2015 08:59 PM
    no the dog does have to be quarintined. i just took him to his vet and had all of his work done. today starts day 1 of 120 before he can come over to hawaii. i thought once he had the blood work back, they would let him, but i guess not.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Jul 2015 12:04 PM
    I remember many, many years ago, most of you probably weren't even born yet... Elizabeth Taylor was going to Hawaii. They wanted her to quarantine her dogs. She said no. She rented a yacht and lived off shore with the dogs for 3 months. She would not quarantine them. But yep, you want the puppies to go with you to Hawaii, they are in quarantine. One of the MAJOR reasons I said if my ex ever got orders to Hawaii, he would be going geobachelor! No way I was doing that to my dogs. Plus, I hate beaches, sun, flowers all that happy nonsense. We went to Alaska. Snow, snow and glaciers AND all dogs welcome, come on in!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    30 Jul 2015 10:13 PM
    If you figure everything out ahead of time, quarantine can be 24 hours up to 5 days
    Whitlow513

--
    30 Jul 2015 11:41 PM
    yeah bells so they say, but thats only if you have the blood tests already done (so ive read)...i mean who sits around and drops $400 for blood tests on their pets just because? so yeah...ugh
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    31 Jul 2015 01:30 AM
    Lol it'll all work out, once you guys settle in you'll get to enjoy what the island has to offer. Your being an excellent spouse taking care of all of this for her. We're only as strong as our family and support systems
    Whitlow513

--
    03 Aug 2015 07:57 PM
    Thank you! I'm former Army and was stationed overseas in Germany. We didn't have to do any craziness with the dogs though. They just needed a health cert and passport. Too easy! Lol! This post sounds amazing though and I can't wait to get there and check out the island. I'm trying to do everything I would never be able to afford to do on vacation.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    08 Aug 2015 12:41 AM
    I'm stationed on a cutter in Hono. Have you looked at places to live yet? I recommend looking in to Army or Navy housing if you like the creature comforts like a/c (which is not very common here but is really necessary in my opinion), a mainland-style neighborhood, and a yard. If you want to find your own place on the economy, use AHRN.com.

Living here is awesome but can be challenging. Everything is more expensive, stuff like washers/dryers and a/c units are not commonplace in rentals, there's one highway to get from the major suburbs to downtown which means traffic can be pretty bad, and it can be really expensive to fly back home. All that said, Oahu is beautiful and filled with cheap and free activities. If you like the outdoors at all this is the place to be. You can find a new hiking trail every Saturday and a new beach every Sunday. There are plenty of good restaurants and bars, a ton of military-specific resources, and lots of cultural and touristy activities.

If you have any questions feel free to ask here or you can PM me.

Also, regarding your dog make sure you check with the airlines too about rules for flying. Some dogs are not allowed to fly during warmer months, some require certain sized crates, etc.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    08 Aug 2015 11:48 AM
    I would go to military housing just for air conditioning, not to mention all of the other awesome perks. Air conditioning just at night is an extra $500 a month on top of a $200-300 electric bill. So most of us just have alot of fans. It's really hot right now
    dsteber

--
    13 Aug 2015 12:59 PM
    Hello all. My son will be stationed on the Sherman as well. Happy for him. Sad for us. He will be 18 on Saturday, and graduates from Cape May on 04 Sep 2015. We were hoping he wouldn't be that far away. We were wrong!! I have tried doing some research on it. I read that he will have to sleep on the Sherman, whether it's in port or not. He loves to Scuba dive and such, so I know he will enjoy his free time. Any advise for him, or us for that matter, would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    13 Aug 2015 04:45 PM
    He should actually get a barracks room on base. He will share with a roommate, either from his boat or from one of the other boats on base.

If he has a car I highly encourage him to have it shipped here. The base is pretty out of the way from everything and he will get island fever fast if he's restricted to it with no ride. A bike or scooter are easy purchases here if he doesn't have a car.

Advice for you guys, give him time to get here and get settled and figure out his schedule then plan a visit! Fall/winter is actually the best time of year to visit, the weather is nicer and the surfing is better (to watch even if you don't do). Also if he doesn't have a nice camera or gopro that is always a good gift for someone coming here. That, or board shorts
    dsteber

--
    24 Aug 2015 08:13 AM
    Much appreciated. We were able to talk to him Saturday for on-base liberty. He said that he spoke with his sponsor. He was told he will have to live on the ship for the first 2 months. I certainly appreciate the response from you ebee!! We will plan our trip around Christmas or just there after. He has a car, but it will not pass Hawaii inspections!! So, he decided to buy a motorcycle there, and use Uber on rainy days. Wish him luck!!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    24 Aug 2015 10:45 AM
    Right after Christmas will probably be better, he probably won't be first in line to take leave for when you guys come out. People with kids we usually let try to take off first and then go from there. Also need to make sure they won't be underway
    dsteber

--
    09 Sep 2015 01:28 PM
    Very well!! We will make sure it's all worked out. Thank you.
    Whitlow513

--
    19 Oct 2015 02:53 PM
    hi there! we just got some new recruits in...if you don't mind, what's his name? i just inprocessed a few newbies and i wonder if he was yours . be happy to show him around and keep an eye on him. yes, they live on the boat unless they are married. some of them have been able to get some barracks but i am not sure how that works. the water here is gorgeous, so he will love scuba diving. ask any questions that you may have. ill do my best to answer or go find you the answer.
    Whitlow513

--
    19 Oct 2015 02:56 PM
    just a quick update...
    we did follow your guys advice and get a house over by navy community housing. worked out better. utitlities included and we have a yard, theres a pool and playground and such. very nice! fit within our bah and we are very happy. i only have to drive roughly 15 minutes to work and my family loves it here! it's amazingly beautiful and awesome! food and people are great. no bar fights yet, but we did get briefed to steer clear and travel in groups. plenty to do outdoors and the school system isnt too bad, our daughter loves it. the dog situation is handled. he will be here in a few weeks!!! so excited. he will still have quarantine for a few weeks, but at least he will be here, then on his way back to his bed . this process has been long and crazy and yeah...glad it is almost done
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement