Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
NYC Recruit
Last Post 01 Sep 2015 11:17 AM by cgsaga. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cgsaga

--
28 Aug 2015 12:55 PM
    I realized I never did an intro thread, I just went straight into asking questions, lol!

Hello all, i'm Saga (not my real name), 21 yr old female with a background in corporate and event security who's currently studying Criminal Justice. Currently I work full-time at as an assistant and take classes part-time. I am scheduled to go to MEPS to do my physical next Thursday and I got a 90 on my ASVAB,

Back in 2013 I became interested in the Air Force, but I told myself that I wouldn't contact a recruiter until I was completely sure it was what I wanted. Fast forward to this year I sent in my info to a AF recruiter twice and didn't hear anything back. Then I tried USAF Reserve and they immediately responded and gave me a practice test. The recruiter went on vacation and during this time I got the chance to talk to a coworker about the steps I was taking to join the AF. He immediately recommended the Coast Guard, stating that one of his friends was enlisted and loved his job and that I should at least take a look.  I was curious and began scouring the internet and YouTube for any information I could find. I had already watched countless MEPS, Boot Camp, and ASVAB videos from people of all branches but not the Coast Guard, so I had no idea what I would find.

I found the website and various message boards, including this one, that gave me a wealth of information within their archives.  I took a screenshot my ASVAB Practice test results and then proceeded to send my info to the recruiting office in nyc. After that I took the initiative to call and leave a voicemail because I knew from experience with the USAF recruiters that I'd have to be a bit more proactive to get someone to pick up my application. I got a call back a few days later and my current recruiter agreed to meet up with me on the only day I could manage to cal off from work. I wrote down any questions I was unsure about that I would ask him in person.

He was really awesome, he said he would work with me and I showed him my practice scores and told me they were very good and just to let him know when I was ready. The USAF Reserve recruiter came back and I informed him that I was going to be moving forward with another branch. It was a lengthy process but now here I am, less than a week away from knowing if I'm in ship-shape and when I can leave! 
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    28 Aug 2015 01:53 PM
    Welcome aboard! As long as your medical goes ok and you don't need any kind of a waiver, you should move pretty quickly.
    Good luck!
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 Aug 2015 02:57 PM
    Congratulations. You made a good choice, but then I'm pretty biased. Best of luck at MEPS. Are you sticking to the reserve side or going active? Either way, still a wise decision. Let us know if you have any questions. We are happy to help.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    cgsaga

--
    01 Sep 2015 11:17 AM
    @CPORJM Thank you!!!

Old Guard2: Yes I'm going for active duty. I weighed the pros and cons and decided that it would be better for me. I've been reading as much as possible to get myself mentally ready. I'll definitely come ere with any questions!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement