Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
If you cant pass the run, should you drop from the DEP?
Last Post 13 Sep 2015 09:33 PM by AirDale13. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SCtx

--
09 Sep 2015 02:03 PM
    I read that if you don't run the mile and a half in 12:51 on the first Friday, you are discharged. If you know you won't be able to make that time (but you can do the 29 pushups/38 situps) am I better off dropping from the DEP or not showing for my ship date? This is completely on me, I understand, but I don't want to get a dishonorable discharge after three days at boot camp. I was not aware this was how it worked until I found this forum. Nonetheless, I know I should have striven for the graduation requirements, and had the maturity to work towards them during my time in the DEP. I was under the impression you can drop from DEP with no permanent employment consequences, but being discharged will hurt you.

Thanks
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    09 Sep 2015 03:42 PM
    Call your recruiter. They can tell you what the requirements are for the first PT test.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Sep 2015 06:42 PM
    am I better off dropping from the DEP or not showing for my ship date?

If you don't show up or your ship date without telling your recruiter there will be consequences, like probably not getting into the Coast Guard, ever. Your best bet is to contact your recruiter and let them know what's going on. Airdale13, our resident recruiter mentioned a point system in an older thread.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Gabe474

--
    09 Sep 2015 06:43 PM
    AirDale explains it quite well in the thread "Pass or Fail". If you don't make the time in the run you will be sent home, regardless of how you did with the push up or sit ups. I agree with ebee, get in touch with your recruiter.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    09 Sep 2015 07:47 PM
    I think the option that we're overlooking here is to fulfill your end of the bargain and train to pass the run. That seems to be the best choice if you ask me.
    SCtx

--
    09 Sep 2015 08:00 PM
    I understand it was foolish and immature of me to put it off for so long. Also, I don't plan to be an absentee on my ship date, I don't want to burn anymore bridges than I already am by DEP dropping. I will meet with my recruiter face to face, explain myself, and sign the papers. If I go about it this way, is it possible for me to enlist in the future?

Does anyone know what type of discharge PFT failures get in Cape May? Weighing the options of going and failing, if it gives me a chance to try again later, and dropping from the DEP. I was unable to locate this information.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    10 Sep 2015 02:40 AM
    You're going to have to discuss your options with your recruiter, they will tell you what you need to do to drop from the DEP.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    teamalvarenga

--
    11 Sep 2015 09:45 AM
    Haven't you been going to your DEP meetings/ PT and required knowledge with your recruiter? If so they would have not have signed off for you. Talk to your recruiter and see if they can push back your ship date.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Sep 2015 10:10 AM
    Team - Some people live so far from the nearest recruiting station, they might NEVER have a face to face with their recruiter. Remember, some of our recruiting offices cover multiple states. If you live in the farthest state, at the farthest corner, you might never get there.

SCtx - You need to call your recruiter, sooner rather than later. When is your ship date? How far are you away from making that run mark?? Unless you are shipping tomorrow, you might be able to get there. It is not a Dishonorable Discharge if they drop you on the 3rd day from boot. You don't have that aspect to worry about. But as Gears said, you just don't show up, your words not ours, kiss any and all chances good bye. Probably not only with the CG but any other service as your recruiter will obviously put that in the notes in your permanent file. All other services would be able to see it. If you are straight up with your recruiter, that you just cannot pass that run time... Well, the option MIGHT be there to push you back a few weeks (by a few I mean probably several months) to allow you the time to become better prepared. But then again, your recruiter might just say ok, you are dropped and that's that.

The person that will be able to tell you everything... Your Recruiter. Make a call. Don't wait until you are there to sign your contract. That is MORE time invested on his part with a chance of you not going. CALL... now would be good.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    USCGSouthEast

--
    11 Sep 2015 03:34 PM
    It is my understanding that you are required to have 60 points to "pass" the initial PT test done at the end of the first week of boot.

If you can complete your 1.5 mile run in under 12 minutes, you earn 50 points. You must complete your run within 14:08 minutes or less. You will only receive 16 points for completing your run @ 14:05.

45 situps will give you 50 points.

37 pushups will give you 50 points.

Theoretically you could ace your pushup and situps and still pass your initial PT test without doing well on your run. Your 12:51 time is necessary for graduating bootcamp but not on the initial first week.

But you must complete your run within 14:08
    Gabe474

--
    11 Sep 2015 04:07 PM
    Posted By USCGSouthEast on 11 Sep 2015 04:34 PM
    It is my understanding that you are required to have 60 points to "pass" the initial PT test done at the end of the first week of boot.

If you can complete your 1.5 mile run in under 12 minutes, you earn 50 points. You must complete your run within 14:08 minutes or less. You will only receive 16 points for completing your run @ 14:05.

45 situps will give you 50 points.

37 pushups will give you 50 points.

Theoretically you could ace your pushup and situps and still pass your initial PT test without doing well on your run. Your 12:51 time is necessary for graduating bootcamp but not on the initial first week.

But you must complete your run within 14:08

I don't think this is correct.

Read AirDale's post in the "Pass or Fail" thread. The points apply to the push ups and sit ups. If you don't make the time on the run the first week you will be sent home. My son just graduated and he saw several that did not get to stay, even after passing the pushups and sit ups.
    USCGSouthEast

--
    11 Sep 2015 05:08 PM
    I'm passing on information my recruiter explained to me.

I hope my recruiter doesn't mind posting what he emailed to me.

You are correct.  All applicants are given a physical fitness test on the
    first Friday of Basic Training.  Failure to pass will result in discharge
    from the CG.  The forming standards are well below graduation standards.
    The test is graded by points, so if you do better on the run than the
    pushups and sit ups, you will still be able to form with your company and
    continue training.  You must get at least 60 total points to form.  For you,
    that means:

1)  You must complete the 1.5 mile run in 14:08 or less.  There are a total
    of 50 points available for the run.  You earn 50 for any time under 12
    minutes.  16 points for 14:05.  That's a spread of about 5 seconds per
    point.

2)  Sit ups (one minute timed):  No Minimum... 45 or more reps gets you 50
    points. Up to 3 pushups is 1 point, 4-6 is 2, 7-9 is 3.  They keep building.
    22 pushups is 20 points, etc, etc

3)  Pushups (one minute timed):  No Minimum...37 or more is 50 points. 1 is
    3 points, etc.

Again, the goal to form with your company and not get discharged is 60
    points total, with a run time of no more than 14:08.  So...yes, please begin
    working on getting in shape.  Boot camp is no joke, it is physically and
    mentally challenging.  The better conditioned you are in, the easier it will
    be on you.

sharpimaging142

--
    13 Sep 2015 10:04 AM
    I read that you'd be sent home if you didn't pass the first week as well, but that didn't seem to be true. My company (papa 191 just graduated friday Sep 11) had about 6 who failed the first time around and were allowed to stay. They will put you in morning physical conditioning classes before regular reveille times. Basically every morning around 0430 they'll wake you up and send you swimming or to the gym to run on the treadmill for a while before morning chow.

It doesn't make sense to send someone home for being a few seconds off the required time after spending all of the money to get you there in the first place. If you're a few minutes off, thats another story. Just do your best at home, don't show up knowing you're going to fail.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    13 Sep 2015 06:22 PM
    If people spent as much time training as they do trying to figure out formulas for what they can fail, there wouldn't be anybody failing anything.
    Enter your new job fully qualified for the training or don't go at all.

"What can I fail?" should never be a question that enters your mind for any aspect of your life. Be prepared to succeed and only succeed. Leave no doubt and nothing to chance.

You say it doesn't make sense to send somebody home for failing by a couple of seconds but to me it doesn't make sense to keep somebody who CHOSE to not come prepared. Its not up to the Coast Guard to hold your hand.
    USCGSouthEast

--
    13 Sep 2015 06:48 PM
    Posted By mkelly on 13 Sep 2015 07:22 PM
    If people spent as much time training as they do trying to figure out formulas for what they can fail, there wouldn't be anybody failing anything.
    Enter your new job fully qualified for the training or don't go at all.

"What can I fail?" should never be a question that enters your mind for any aspect of your life. Be prepared to succeed and only succeed. Leave no doubt and nothing to chance.

You say it doesn't make sense to send somebody home for failing by a couple of seconds but to me it doesn't make sense to keep somebody who CHOSE to not come prepared. Its not up to the Coast Guard to hold your hand.

I believe that you may have the luxury to such a comment having put boot camp in the past.

It's well known that information can give an edge to any sort of competitor. Granted, this isn't an office job so understand that applicants need to be healthy enough for a certain standard.

I don't think there was any person here trying to game the system by putting formulas down but I do think there was at least, on my part, an effort to try to encourage a potential Coast Guardsman into not giving up.

Granted, mkelly I believe you might have misunderstood the intent of the thread. Second, the OP may have asked "a stupid question", respectfully.

But I informed OP of the information I thought might be necessary to give light into the issue. Certainly if you cannot pass the run and you cannot pass the push up and you cannot pass the sit up then certainly, you should not be in DEP.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    13 Sep 2015 07:24 PM
    MKelly is a very successful AST, I don't think he knows how to give up.
    USCGSouthEast

--
    13 Sep 2015 07:30 PM
    Indeed. So should the OP as well. But it might be too late for him or her.

Anyways, I don't think I have any regrets about posting the information above. I hope it's helpful.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    13 Sep 2015 07:35 PM
    The information given is important here but there is no luxury of having put boot camp in the past. This isn't about luxuries of anything. When my recruiter told me I needed to know something before boot camp, I dropped what I did and learned all of it. When they told me what was required for the PT test, I made sure I would have no problem passing everything. I didn't waste time wondering what would happen if I didn't pass a section. I put my energy into passing.
    When I put my name on the AST "A" school list, I didn't wonder if I could get away with the minimum requirements. Now that I'm a swimmer I don't wonder what the minimum workouts I have to complete to save a life. Before the Coast Guard I didn't try to just get the minimum GPA and hope I got a cool job offer.
    Life isn't about what if I don't pass or what category can I perform less in and still succeed. I guess it comes down to me not wanting to put my life into the hands of somebody who has spent time trying to work the system. If your recruiter says you need to complete a certain amount of push ups or run a certain pace; either do it or move out of the way for somebody who is willing to put in the time.
    I know this is coming off as abrasive but in the Coast Guard, complacency kills. This is an area that is black and white to me. Do whats required or don't be a part of the team. I think telling people if they fail they might still have a chance is just enabling a lackadaisical attitude and complacency. This isn't directed at anybody in particular here...sometimes I just get tired of reading threads of how people can work around the system.
    I'm not encouraging anybody to give up. I'm encouraging people to be prepared on day one or move out of the way.
    USCGSouthEast

--
    13 Sep 2015 07:40 PM
    Duly noted.

SCTx, good luck.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    13 Sep 2015 09:33 PM
    Well said by Mkelly. I mean he is an Airdale.......One of my very own recruits was discharged because he missed the run by a few seconds. He spent 4 days at boot camp. He had over 6 months to prepare. Simply put, he was always looking for a way to simply just make it.
    You receive a general discharge with an RE (re enlistment code) 3. The reason: Failure to adjust. If I was you I would get your boot camp date changed. Which means contact your recruiter and be honest and stop thinking of ways to just skate by.
    They should have administered the PT test to you and if need be can schedule you for workouts.
    Once again a note to all: meet and exceed the standards.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement