Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
1st orders, going to Sturgeon Bay
Last Post 17 Apr 2019 01:43 PM by tc1uscg. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sharpimaging142

--
13 Sep 2015 10:13 AM
    Just graduated basic on 11Sep15 and I have orders to WTGB-103 CGC Mobile Bay, an Ice Breaking Tug out of Sturgeon Bay, WI. Just wondering if theres anything anyone can tell me about icebreaking tugs, the great lakes, or Sturgeon bay? I have all of the basic information provided by the sponsor but I'm wondering what life is like over there? I'm from California and all that I know is to start stocking up on long sleeves!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    13 Sep 2015 12:00 PM
    Sturgeon Bay is a small town on the WI peninsula. Winters are long so prepare for that. Once the Lakes freeze over expect to be gone a lot. They are attached to a barge, and work buoys in the summer. The 140's are great boats, I used to work on them when I was on the MAT in Sault Ste Marie.

If you like major cities there are none close by. Appleton and Green Bay as close as you're gonna get. Milwaukee is a few hours driving, not a bad place. There's always stuff going on in summer. If you're over 21 WI has some amazing microbreweries to check out. I highly recommend Spotted Cow, but please drink responsibly.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Sep 2015 07:57 AM
    Sturgeon Bay is in Door County, Wisconsin. It is a large tourist area with many beautiful places to see. I live in Wisconsin, about 4 hours from there. This might not be my favorite state that I have lived in for various reasons... but I have to say it is a gorgeous state. Like Gears says, once the winter and the ice hit... well, you'll be turning 2 and working a lot. Enjoy these last few weeks of fall weather. The leaves will be beautiful soon, the apples will be delicious. You'll have to try a fish boil! I know, I know boiled fish!?!?! Doesn't that sound horrible? It isn't. I thought I would die when a friend suggested it, they live in Sturgeon Bay. Oh was I wrong, very yummy! You will work hard, learn a lot and have fun. You can't ask for more than that!! Enjoy your time there. Any idea on what rating you are kicking around?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ConsMom

--
    14 Sep 2015 09:15 AM
    I am in Wisconsin about 2.5 hours from Sturgeon Bay. I can't inform you on the boat that you will be on, but like OG said, Sturgeon Bay is great! There is a reason why people come from all over to visit Door County! Wineries, apples, cherries, love the fish boils, hiking trails. Coming from California...you will be cold!!! You will need LAYERS of long sleeves!! And you will see football fans like no other...

Welcome to Wisconsin!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Sep 2015 09:20 AM
    Con, I had no idea you were in Wisconsin! I'm down in Beloit, right on state line. You ever want to meet up for coffee, let me know!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ConsMom

--
    14 Sep 2015 09:40 AM
    Yes! Black Creek, Wisconsin. It's just a blink of a town - 30 minutes from Green Bay.

Thanks for the coffee invite! I will definitely keep that in mind...maybe before the snow flies!!
    sharpimaging142

--
    16 Sep 2015 04:04 PM
    Thanks for the info guys! I think I'll pass on the fish boil lol, not a seafood guy at all!

I was supposed to ship out to my unit today from california but the airport was experiencing electrical failure and could not check anyone in so the command approved a late arrival and Ill be coming in late tomorrow. Cant wait!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Sep 2015 09:23 AM
    Oh my goodness, not a seafood guy? Come on... you never know what you'll might like! But I get it... there are just some things that some people can't do. You'll still have a good time. Keeping in contact with your command is excellent. Every one of us has experienced travel delays and woes... It is the people that don't tell their unit what's up that end up in trouble. Safe travels!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ConsMom

--
    17 Sep 2015 09:33 AM
    Okay...you get a pass on the whole fish boil thing...but CHEESE CURDS!!!! Gotta try them. Good luck!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Sep 2015 12:48 PM
    Oh yes!! Cheese curds are a MUST!! The best ones squeak! Trust us on this, Squeaky Cheese!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    tc1uscg

--
    17 Apr 2019 01:43 PM
    Posted By sharpimaging142 on 13 Sep 2015 11:13 AM
    Just graduated basic on 11Sep15 and I have orders to WTGB-103 CGC Mobile Bay, an Ice Breaking Tug out of Sturgeon Bay, WI. Just wondering if theres anything anyone can tell me about icebreaking tugs, the great lakes, or Sturgeon bay? I have all of the basic information provided by the sponsor but I'm wondering what life is like over there? I'm from California and all that I know is to start stocking up on long sleeves!

A little late to the party but just the same. How did it go. I assume you were there waiting for "A" school. We are having our 40th year reunion for the plank owners and commissioning crew (some of us came on-board after it arrived in SB. I spent 11 months, 29 days onboard before going off the RM school in 1981. So it still smelled new when I was on-board for my year. Didn't have that buoy barge at the time and we were still a WHITE hull. Loved the boat. Though it was my 2nd unit (small boat station, HM school, dis-enrolled then Mobile Bay), it was the best of all my other units IMO. That included Diligence (key west), Gru Ohio River, Commsta Honolulu, D9 Commcen, TRACEN Petaluma RM school instructor then the Resolute. First unit was Station St. Clair Shores MI. It was a very rewarding tour (my wife is from Sturgeon Bay). All I can say it was the coldest frigging place on earth in 1980. Mother in Law still lives there so we go back to visit from time to time (about once or twice a year). Even went up there and spent a few days at Sherwood Pt. lighthouse. (It was still manned when I was on the MB). We had a great crew and each year I've visited the boat, the crew (CO) was outstanding and was very receptive to my (our) visits. Sad this year though, they will be in Curtis Bay till the fall (I think). They are in for their "mid life" repair. 

Well, enough rambling. Hope you had a good tour and enjoyed the town, even if it gets more then it's fair share of snow, cold and out of town tourist. I was just up there in March 2019 and the snow reminded me of 1980. About 3 to 4 ft deep in most places. 
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement