Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Watch
Last Post 26 Sep 2015 08:09 PM by Kinch. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Kinch

--
20 Sep 2015 05:52 PM
    Please describe in detail, "Watch" at Coast Guard boot camp.

I was in the army and our version was called, "Fire Watch".  In retrospect, the old WWI barracks that army still uses a lot would probably become fully engulfed in a minute or so, and back in the days of people smoking in doors, (not in basic) there may have been even more fire danger.

In the army, the guy who had fire watch would wake you up in your bunk about 5 minutes early.  You would get up, and put your athletic shoes on.  The floors were kept at a high polish and we were not allowed to wear boots inside.  Plus I guess it was quieter when you were clomping around on fire watch.  

Once up and dressed, the prior guy on fire watch would give you a flash light and your watch would begin.  You would report quickly to some sleepy guy at a desk on the main floor.  He was like an E-4 I guess.  Then you would go back to your platoon's barracks and that was it until you woke up the next guy.

Basically, you were required to walk thru with your flashlight something like every 10 minutes, then we would sit in the stairwell where the lights were on.  As I recall, our fire watch was just an hour.  At basic we would always shine our boots or something mundane during this time.  I don't recall ever being told not to do that, and never remember someone getting in trouble for it.  At airborne school and advance camp I even remember writing letters in the latrine, however, those schools weren't quite as intense as basic.

How does what I described compare to Watch at USCG Boot?

Side question, my son is on day 6 are they doing Watch yet?

Thanks.
    joseywalez

--
    20 Sep 2015 08:16 PM
    Watch in boot camp is just doing a round of the barracks or standing at a podium for an hour. It's probably the last thing to worry about in boot camp so if you have any worries don't, unless he is late! And no, he won't stand watch till prob around week 3 or 4
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Sep 2015 08:51 PM
    I don't think it is a worry as much as it is a curiosity. A comparison of services and duties.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Kinch

--
    21 Sep 2015 01:09 AM
    That's right Old Guard.  Of my many many worries, that's not one lol.  Just curious.  I'm  weird that way.  My wife asked the recruiter if they could get a waiver for me and send me to basic instead ha.  Can't pass the damn run though try as I might.  I also wondered if in the CG a recruit could do anything on watch, such as shine boots or brass like we used to do.  Or if they had to stand at ease somewhere for an hour or sit at a desk etc,  i always hear people talk about it on here, but I have never had it explained in detail.  

Thank you.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Sep 2015 06:14 AM
    I've never asked the question, so I'm not sure. But it seems like maybe they can't do anything extra.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Apollo

--
    21 Sep 2015 10:04 AM
    Watch is usually pretty quiet (at least when you are a recruit you want it to be quiet. ;-) ) I went to boot camp a while ago, but I can't imagine it has changed much. During every hour, there are several people on watch. One person is solely in charge of greeting CCs, making sure no one tries to enter that isn't allowed, and writing the log. The other people do some clean ups, wake up the next section, and then stand at attention/parade rest during the off times. You don't really get the chance to talk or do anything extra. You don't do watch the first week, but once you do it can be a bit unnerving. If you have the first or last watch of the day, you will have CCs walking in and out and it is easy to draw the wrong attention. Additionally, every few weeks people will get reverted for being late, talking during watch, etc. In later weeks, you tend to know what you are doing and so the CCs don't question you as much. Overall, watch isn't the best or worst time of the day.
    seentheseas

--
    26 Sep 2015 06:18 AM
    Start standing watch end of week 02. Why so worried over what the watch does? You'll find out when you get there.
    Kinch

--
    26 Sep 2015 08:09 PM
    I'm the 48 year old father of a recruit in day 14 at boot camp.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement