Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
PATFORSWA
Last Post 13 Jun 2016 05:20 PM by crb. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
aztecmatt

--
01 Oct 2015 11:14 AM

Saw the solicitation for non-rates to go and it's something I've always wanted to do since I decided to join. Just trying to gather some info on it. Has anybody here gone? Is there any way I could have my wife PCSd to be closer to home while I'm gone? Is it difficult to get selected as a 3rd? I'm debating going as a NR or after A school.

Thanks

_newms_

--
    26 Apr 2016 08:07 AM
    I went to Patfor as a non-rate and I had a blast. A buddy and I saw the solicitation and thought we'd put in for it 'just because'. Well once he saw all the extra paperwork to be done, he backed out. I submitted my solicitation stuff and forgot about it. And then one day I get a call asking if I'd still like to go. So there really does seem to no rhyme or reason why they select one member over another - I had no previous weapons qualifications or 110' Patrol Boat experience. The experience was more than I was expecting. There are many that say that the pay is not what it used to be and it's not worth it. Well, if you are in it for the money and only for 'what is in it for me?' then you're going to hate being in the USCG in general. I saw it as a opportunity to see a part of the world I may never see again - I hardly paid attention to my paychecks. I went to an A-school that had less than a year wait time. I had no good reason to go to Patforswa - I could have gone to A-School sooner. Point is: Do it if you want to be challenged, if you want to be part of a unit that interfaces with other branches of the military, if you want to get ahead on the A-School list, if you want to challenge your world view.

Hope this helps.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    29 Apr 2016 09:28 AM
    what was patforswa like for you as a non rate newms? were you ashore or afloat? going out there is something i eventually would want to do and if i get the chance to go as a non rate i probably would.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    29 Apr 2016 05:31 PM
    Your wife can move home, I don't think you'll be authorized a hhg for her though.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    _newms_

--
    15 May 2016 06:09 PM
    AG305,

I was stationed shoreside where we provided maintenance and support to the 6 cutters. My primary job was watchstanding as a AT/FP watchstander. I had a blast. The cutters there maintain a VERY arduous underway availability. I'd say whenever a cutter is not laid up for shoreside maintenance or dry dock, they are 'away from home port' for approximately 25 days out of the month. They'll make port calls throughout the area to resupply but they are actually back 'home' in Bahrain for about 5 days out of the month and then they get back underway. While I was there, it was common for those little 110's to be underway for as long or longer than a 378' back CONUS. The crews of those boats are VERY tight and are some of the most proficient shipmates out there. I was fortunate to get underway with a few of them to augment the EOW watch rotation. They definitely work hard and face some very tense moments out there in the Gulf - I'll leave it at that. The region is a very 'interesting' place for an American servicemember to be stationed at.

Back in Bahrain, there are all of the comforts of home - shopping malls, fast food, etc. If you are a level-headed, well adjusted adult you should be just fine and appreciate the culture. Unfortunately, some folks go over there with this back-country attitude that everyone is a terrorist and smells really bad and the food is gross.

I had an awesome time and would do it again.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 May 2016 12:24 PM
    My ex-husband was in Iraq for a year. He was a Commander at the time and his wife stayed put in Juneau, Alaska. She had thought about wanting to move home but he still had time left in Juneau after Iraq. The decision was made she would stay where she was, their son would stay in school and she would manage for the year. If she had decided to move elsewhere, the military was NOT going to pay for it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    16 May 2016 02:19 PM
    thats amazing newms. it sounds like a once in a lifetime experience for sure.
    rcgardner

--
    25 May 2016 03:08 PM
    Does anyone know if there are any Temporary Duty assignments to PATFORSWA?

I'd love to get the chance to serve there but I'm not sure my family life could handle a 2-3yr long distance/overseas relationship. (I am assuming PATFORSWA assignments are standard tours)
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    25 May 2016 03:47 PM
    The 110' tours are one year, plus training stateside.
    rcgardner

--
    25 May 2016 03:50 PM
    Posted By thestormiscoming on 25 May 2016 03:47 PM
    The 110' tours are one year, plus training stateside.

Very interesting! May well try to undertake this as a non-rate. Would my wife get BAH for housing stateside during this year?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    29 May 2016 11:57 PM
    Yes, should, if they can't move her then they'll have to pay for bah, I am pretty sure you'll be in barracks
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    29 May 2016 11:58 PM
    Or govt owned housing
    rcgardner

--
    31 May 2016 02:02 AM
    Thanks for that Bells. I'll be talking with my wife regarding this... she seems very unenthusiastic about the idea but I feel like it would be a great opportunity to gain vital experience that may very well benefit my career long-term.
    blaneypark

--
    31 May 2016 06:44 AM
    I thought a tour of Isolated duty would help me get a choise of where to go for my next duty station. It did, only problem was my wife found someone else while I was gone. Now don't feel bad for me as i found out later in life it was the best thing that could have happened.
    rcgardner

--
    31 May 2016 11:13 PM
    Which is also the primary reason I'm considering the idea but not dead set on it myself. I honestly don't believe my wife would intentionally cheat on me or go looking, but a year is a year.....
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    01 Jun 2016 05:35 AM
    You do get leave however, one of our nonrates went over there and he has been travelling all over Europe. A year is a long time, I've been on a 8.5 month long patrol and my boyfriend and I were just separated for about 7 months because he took a job early to where I was transferring, but you can make it work. We talked everyday and just went on vacation together.

Just bribe her with trips to Europe, whenever you can get cheap tickets, and make it an adventure.
    rcgardner

--
    04 Jun 2016 02:41 AM
    Bells, was the 8.5 month patrol on a WAGB? Thought I saw in another post you'd been assigned to one of the breakers at some point.

As far as the euro-trips I'm sure she'd kill for that. Sounds like from what I've been reading recently about PATFORSWA though that you can't go unless your Tour Complete, I'm not 100% sure what they consider Tour Complete as a Non-Rate though?

Kind sounds like your not eligible unless your a non-rate after your on a A School wait list. If I go BM (which is pretty much what I am set on due to long-term leadership potential) I won't have a long a-School wait so going to PATFORSWA could actually delay my A School. Guess its up in the air either way...
    crb

--
    13 Jun 2016 05:20 PM
    One member's recent experience in Bahrain:

https://medium.com/homeland-security/cultural-learnings-of-bahrain-for-make-benefit-glorious-nation-of-united-states-4560b866091#.o1ks8r7w7
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement