Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Cape May in January
Last Post 13 Nov 2015 05:00 PM by SchoonerBum. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ugamsudawg

--
05 Oct 2015 09:26 PM
    I'm probably going to DEPOT in January. Any advice on how to deal with the cold? I am from the south so not used to northern winters.
    zarant

--
    05 Oct 2015 10:09 PM
    You and me both. I'm coming from Southern California. Not used to it at all! Il be there as well.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Oct 2015 08:32 AM
    It is hit or miss. You could experience sub-zero temps, blowing wind, freezing spray, snow knee deep. OOOORRRRR it could be particularly mild with temps in the 30's and 40's even. Weather is always a crap shoot. It's going to be there, I can guarantee that. What type of weather will be there??????? But you'll be fine!

Sector NY, Staten Island
    ugamsudawg

--
    06 Oct 2015 09:40 AM
    Hopefully the blizzard will miss PT test day.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    06 Oct 2015 10:49 AM
    I was there in February and we had a blizzard, one of the worst in years. I brought the long johns, but never used them. You won't need them, you won't even really notice the cold. I'm from San Diego, and I was fine in the blizzard and 0 degree weather because I was more concerned about not screwing up.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    06 Oct 2015 10:50 AM
    Posted By zarant on 05 Oct 2015 10:09 PM
    You and me both. I'm coming from Southern California. Not used to it at all! Il be there as well.

You'll be fine. Better to be there in the cold than the 100% humididity and mosquitos. Also, RAMP is easier when its indoors.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    07 Oct 2015 12:14 AM
    Winters in Jersey are hit or miss. I grew up there. I remember snow some Winters and then none in other Winters. If it snows or there is ice watch how you walk as you might slip and fall. If you have leather soled shoes on they can be like skates on ice or snow pack. At Minot AFB we kinda shuffled when we walked during the winter.

If you have a really cold spell like below 20 degrees for a few days don't grab metal without gloves on or you hand might stick to it. If you do don't pull your hand away as it will rip your skin. Don't let some Yankee convince you to touch your tongue to metal either.

If you wear glass's they will fog up going from cold to warm and I haven't found a solution to that problem. And now for the most important tip. If you get volunteered to shovel snow, lift with your legs and not your back.

And finally if you think it sucks, remember the rebel troops at Valley Forge which is just a few miles away. They had it worst.

USCGSouthEast

--
    07 Oct 2015 07:40 PM
    I'll be there for January. I can't wait. All of the suck will be embraced wholeheartedly. Come at me!
    ugamsudawg

--
    07 Oct 2015 09:58 PM
    I hear ya USCGSoutheast. I should adopt that philosophy too. Throw reason too the wind literally and get at it! Best of luck to you in January!
    uscgbjjjr

--
    01 Nov 2015 08:15 PM
    I went to bootcamp last year from January 13-March 6 and it was definitely one of the coldest winters I have every experienced. I did bring long johns but never wore them. I either didnt have tiime to put them on or was to busy to even think about it. No matter what, youre going to be cold. They do give you a GoreTex jacket with Fleece liner, and GoreTex Pants with no liner. The pants are a life saver when it comes to the wind. You are also issued gloves which help a lot as well. It snowed the first wednesday after reporting in. Best thing to do to keep warm is to just not think about it. Just accept that youre going to stand outside the galley and see your CC's looking at you get tossed around in the wind.
    USCG1927

--
    03 Nov 2015 09:43 AM
    That's one of the things I was wondering - different clothing to be issued for winter months. I will be starting boot camp on Jan 5, and I assume it will be bone chillingly cold. Also, I have been around the snow a lot, but never really worked out in the snow. Hopefully wind and snow will just be motivation to run faster!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    03 Nov 2015 11:35 AM
    It could be cold or semi cold. FYI I'd rather be there in Jan then July or August. The cold you can dress for.
    SchoonerBum

--
    12 Nov 2015 06:48 PM
    Question concerning the underwear (That is not answered in the sox/underwear thread)

Do you suggest cotton, synthetic, or a blended fabric?

(I am a male)
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    12 Nov 2015 08:20 PM
    I grew up in NJ, was stationed in Wy, ND and the interior of Alaska.  I seemed to move to colder places.  Navy Blue light weight Polypropylene's will do fine and help keep you warm.

My son has found some at
    www.theunderwearguys.com
    SchoonerBum

--
    13 Nov 2015 05:00 PM
    I was not even worried about the long underwear, have plenty of those kicking around, but the standard underwear. Also, would synthetic, wool, or blended socks be suggested?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement