Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
First time coastie wife prepare for first time move
Last Post 14 Oct 2015 12:48 AM by Bells. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
coastiewife2015

--
13 Oct 2015 12:46 PM
    Husband just join the CG. Don't know what to expect. We have kids. When do we have to move? Can we wait until he done with A school? What to expect for the first time mover??
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Oct 2015 01:40 PM
    OK, I know it all seems overwhelming but just try to relax and take this as it comes. First, you say just joined? So he is in boot camp? Is he going from Cape May directly to A School? If so, then yes, you will probably stay where you are until after he completes that. There are a few schools that are accompanied and you can go with him. I believe he can also request to unaccompanied if you choose not to go with him to school. That is called being a Geo-bachelor, geographically he will be living as a bachelor. Most schools they go by themselves.

You have kids? What are their ages? That has no bearing on the move but maybe I can help with some suggestions based on how old they are. One thing I will STRONGLY suggest... Don't stress in front of them, even if they are very young. Make this seem like fun, an adventure, something exciting and believe me, they will transition much more easily. If you are stressed out or act like this is the greatest difficulty ever, they will pick up on it and feel the same way. You don't want to do that to them.

The CG has been moving families around since 1790. They are really pretty good at it. I would suggest not to do a DITY move (do it yourself). That could add to stress and if you have children, it just is so much easier to allow movers to come in and pack you all up. You don't have to pack anything buy your suitcases. The movers will handle the rest. They even offer unpacking services if you so choose. They'll set up your beds, unpack your boxes... It really can be low stress, if you let it. Personally, I like unpacking my own boxes. It's like Christmas and you get to play "Just how long WILL it take me to find plates and silverware!" (Trust me, it is always in the last box you open.)

It is exciting, there is some stress, but you can enjoy it at the same time. Just think, there is a great possibility you'll go somewhere you've never imagined visiting much less getting the chance to live there!! Maybe the New England coastline, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, the Pacific Northwest Coast, Washington DC... I don't know where you are from but just think of the possibilities in front of you. Also, don't think of it as "leaving home". Home will always be there, you can always go for a visit. Think of it as expanding your home. Having someplace for family to come visit you. Someplace new and exciting. Maybe New Orleans and you take your family to Mardi Gras for the first time. Maybe Green Bay Wisconsin and you go see the Packers at Lambeau Field! Adventure!!!! Honest!

if you have any questions, feel free... We are here to help.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    coastiewife2015

--
    13 Oct 2015 02:54 PM
    My husband is schedule for boot camp in Feb 2016. He is going in as an EM. I think he might go straight to A school right after boot camp if I remember correctly from his recruiter. His rate is in demand.
    My kids are 10 and 7 years old. I really don't want to interrupt them with their schooling if I don't have too. We don't mind moving but it's pointless if we move and then he's going to sent off to A school. Make more sense to wait for him to complete school then we go where he going to be station.
    I have a steady job here in California and would hate to get up and move then months later to move again. If we have no choice, of course I will.
    As far as movers. Will this transition includes car and household goods? We have one car right now.
    I know my concerns might sound silly but not knowing anything about the coast guard lifestyle scares me. I did do some research myself but I feel hearing it from someone who been through it is better. All your inputs so far is helping me calm my nerves. Might I add that I'm also currently pregnant so my emotions are up there. Again thank you for your response.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    14 Oct 2015 12:46 AM
    If he is stationed within the continental US then you guys are responsible for the car, which will mean a road trip unless you choose to ship it yourself. Bootcamp is about two months, and em a-school is 19 weeks, so on that timeline the baby should be here before you guys would have to move, which would make things a little interesting, but maybe better than if you were 9 months pregnant.

Household goods can be packed up when you want. So if he starts boot in feb, he should be done in April, and then around September he would be at his new unit if he goes to A-school immediately after boot, which isnt likely, so maybe October/November. If its around that time, I would say you could choose whether to pull the kids in the middle of the year or wait until winter break to move them to the new area/school. He doesn't have to use his HHGs move right away. If he packs his bag and heads to his unit a little before you guys, and you guys set up the move for when its convenient to switch schools, then that is fine. He is entitled to the move whether it's right away when he gets orders after a-school, or a couple months after.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    14 Oct 2015 12:48 AM
    From then on, know that it is much much more common for coasties to transfer during the summer, so when you guys finish a tour, expect to move in the summer, which is nicer for kiddos in school
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement