Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AET
Last Post 14 Oct 2015 08:38 PM by AirDale13. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
FnMiller

--
14 Oct 2015 01:45 PM
    I'm going AET and am trying to learn more about the differences between the Jayhawks and Dolphins from someone who has worked in the field. 
    -I'd like to know about what they do differently as far as usual mission and capability. 
    -I would also like to know if, since it seems the two platforms are mutually exclusive at different Airsta's, which ones have to best locations? 
    -Which platform would allow me to more quickly advance?
    -Is one better to work on than the other?
    -I know there are fewer 60's, but do 65's really have a more diverse set of billets?
    -is there anything I should know about either one?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Oct 2015 02:46 PM
    The only question I'll attempt to field, location. A location I think is awesome, you could think absolutely sucks. For my family, had we ever been stationed in Florida, there would have been talk about refusing orders. That would NOT have been a dream location. But I have many friends that wouldn't want to go anywhere north of Georgia! So you can't ask which is the best location. What you like to do, the lifestyle you wish to live, the activities you take part in... That will determine the best location.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    rico

--
    14 Oct 2015 06:34 PM
    Try to take a trip to your closest Air Station if your command will allow it. Then learn everything you can. When you're in A-school ask all of these questions and more, because your instructors have been there and done that in the best way!

Naturally there are more 65s so they have more locations to pick from if that's what you end up on, but OG is right when she says a location might surprise you. The same is true with airframe. You might want 60s but then get C-130s and love it!

Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    14 Oct 2015 08:38 PM
    AET here. If you want a broader selection of billets go 65's. The available billets are more diverse than on the 60 side. I'm on 60's and have 8 air stations I can choose from well 9 if you add DC. I could switch to 65's....if the detailer lets me. Most folks stick with their airframe but there are some that have switched. Even though I don't have many billets too choose from or even like, I'd rather be on a 60 than a 65. 60's are medium range recovery assets. We can go about 200 miles off shore, be on scene for about 30 minutes and get back. 65's can't fly that long so they are best suited for short range search and rescue and deployment from cutters. 60's are able to handle tougher conditions than a 65 with ease. 60's are forward deployed at some air stations so they can handle cases in those areas. 60's are too big to land on cutters unless it's one of the newer ones, they can. 60's are able to refuel in flight to extend range. You don't advance based on your platform. You will compete against all AETs for advancement regardless of airframe. 65's have went through a myriad of upgrades within the last few years. I believe their avionics package is now very similar to a 60's. Working avionics in the USCG is not overtly difficult regardless of airframe. You will encounter the same type of issues and for the most part, workload. Neither one is better than the other, you will love either one. I'm on 60's because I like the airframe, I feel comfortable with it and I like being a flight mechanic on a 60. We do some pretty gnarly cases. But man sometimes I wish I could choose some of those 65 billets.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement