Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Probation at basic
Last Post 25 Feb 2016 08:13 AM by modernwarfare. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Kinch

--
19 Oct 2015 10:42 AM
    So my son got put on probation at basic for not having a close enough shave.  So how long does probation last, and/or how do you get off of it?

It's funny.  Well not, more like maddening me being mad at him.  We males in this family do not have heavy beards and hardly any facial hair at age 18.  I told him that there were guys with heavy beards who have to shave twice a day, he could easily shave once a day.  Evidently, not surprisingly, he didn't listen to me.  

So, again, how do you get off probation?  By the time I hear from him again it will most likely be irrelevant but I'm curious.  Heck, while you're at it, if you would, please describe the whole probation at basic process to me.  He said something about some special, (or not so special) ticket or something he has to carry in his pocket on probation.

Thank you.

rico

--
    19 Oct 2015 04:45 PM
    If I remember right, each night he has to go in front of whatever CC is on duty in an inspection ready uniform with his piece (rifle) and spout of a bunch of required knowledge and manual of arms movements while getting his uniform scrutinized. Usually this lasts for about 5 days and the main thing the CC is looking for is consistent improvement from day to day. If they aren't improving and always screwing up the same movements or required knowledge they will usually send them to RAMP or support them being reverted. I would also imagine since the infraction was for shaving the CC will be looking to make sure your son has been shaving correctly.

This could have all changed in the 2 years since I've been to Cape May but this is how I remembered it. Hoping all goes well for your son!
    Kinch

--
    19 Oct 2015 05:42 PM
    Thanks for the info.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    21 Oct 2015 11:42 PM
    I was also put on probation at Cape May about 2 years ago. My experience was pretty much as rico described it, plus a rack inspection each night. I think I failed 3/5 nights (once because I was one min late for inspection), but I "passed" my probation period. We had one or two people get reverted after probation, and a couple that passed probation but were eventually reverted later on.

Probation is definitely better than reversion, and actually helped me to get more squared away at boot camp.
    modernwarfare

--
    22 Oct 2015 08:35 AM
    I was on probation for 5 days and I am really grateful for it. It gave me one on one time with my CC and I learned what my deficiencies were, and became a better recruit. No one in my company was reverted the first round of probation, the company ahead of us reverted all ten people their first week of putting people on probation. No way to know what will happen but if he stays positive and takes it as a learning experience he will have a much inproved experience.
    sharpimaging142

--
    29 Oct 2015 08:59 PM
    Probation is the step before reversion. I'd say (roughly) 80% of probation recruits failed probation in my company. You must show improvement in a number of categories for them to pass you. Length depends on offense. And yes, they're very anal about shaving. I was shaving 4 times a day and still getting trackers, etc for "stubble"
    jasat

--
    07 Nov 2015 10:43 AM
    I was put on 5 days probation by a section commander for my dress shoes not being lased properly during a inspection. The section commander than told me "I'm going to find a way to revert you right now pop your rack!" He then tore threw everything to find that my rack was perfect. Glared at me then walked away. shaving was big. I grow really dark black hair so even the closest shave didn't look good. I was shaving 4 times a day when my cc asked me "how many time did you shave today?" I answered 3 time and we had just gotten back from lunch chow. He then said that he wanted me to only shave twice a day because I was breaking out pretty bad. later that week I got a tracker for not shaving.

My lead cc asked me why I was on probation on my last day and I told him that my shoes were in a square knot and just not lased up properly. He then gave me a look like "seriously we gave you more hell for 5 days because of that?"

In basic you can't win.
    You will not win.
    It is designed to teach you to fail at first in my opinion

If you have questions I graduated yesterday I can answer them.
    ed209

--
    24 Feb 2016 07:10 PM
    oMy son put on probation beginning of 3rd week. He now thinks they will revert him and thinks he's a failure . He said 1st two week he did great. His company blog says they are all screwing up and doing terrible. How common is this and will his spirits pick up. don't know why he's on probation . I know he's good with physical test and knowledge.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    24 Feb 2016 08:45 PM
    Posted By ed209 on 24 Feb 2016 07:10 PM
    oMy son put on probation beginning of 3rd week. He now thinks they will revert him and thinks he's a failure . He said 1st two week he did great. His company blog says they are all screwing up and doing terrible. How common is this and will his spirits pick up. don't know why he's on probation . I know he's good with physical test and knowledge.

I remember week 3 being a real low point.  It's by design.  They stress you out and make you feel like you're failing to see how you handle those types of situations.  Do you give up and resign to failure?  Or do you dig deeper and keep going, giving it all you have?
    USCG STA New York, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    25 Feb 2016 06:16 AM
    My son was reverted about week 5. Turned out to be the best thing that happened in basic for him. Reversion rates are significant. Like Bleem said, it's not what happens, it's how you handle it.
    modernwarfare

--
    25 Feb 2016 08:13 AM
    I had more than one cc tell me i would be reverted, was put on 5 days of probation. didn't get reverted, was one of five that didn't go to ramp. it isn't about how badly you do at first, it is about how you handle it. they want to see if it makes you selfish and if you just start looking out for yourself or if you work as a team even if you think you won't even be in that company soon.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement