Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Ribbons and awards
Last Post 26 Oct 2015 02:35 PM by Whitlow513. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Whitlow513

--
19 Oct 2015 02:48 PM
    hi everyone (again)
    just graduated, got to my cutter, and am starting to put my dress blues together
    i have my rank, name tag, and service ribbon
    i want to know if we are authorized to wear the global war on terrorism unit ribbon? 
    i just have the one ribbon, and none on the right side, so how do i know what we are supposed to be wearing?
    thanks everyone
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    19 Oct 2015 03:04 PM
    Name tag on the right side. Ribbons/qualifications on the left side. I am pretty sure that somebody who just graduated is not authorized to wear the global war on terrorism. Did they give that to you in boot camp?
    Here is the uniform regulations manual:
    www.uscg.mil/uniform/docs/cim_m1020_6g.pdf
    This will tell you exactly how your uniform should look. Ribbons do not go on the right side. They should have taught you that in BC. Either way, The uniform manual is how you know what you are supposed to be wearing. After you get to you cutter you can look in your direct access to see which awards you have been given and should be wearing. I don't think you have earned any awards in BC. I could be wrong though. We got the national defense.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    19 Oct 2015 10:31 PM
    The National Defense medal is (or used to be) a gimme, kind of like the Army Service Medal was when I went to basic training a lifetime ago
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    20 Oct 2015 09:56 AM
    CPORJM,

I would disagree with you just a bit. The Army Service ribbon was given after completion of AIT comparable to "A School." So you had to do at least something to get it but still pretty much a gimme. The NDSM is a gimme if you happen to serve during a period of "National Emergency." The last period started on 9/11 2001 and is still going. So if you joined after that it is a gimme, if your service ended before that time, it is all a matter of when you served.

Personally, I have 2 NDSMs (served in two different periods) and an Army Service Ribbon.

For the OP, they won't let you leave training without knowing what ribbons you are authorized to wear.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    20 Oct 2015 11:21 AM
    You must be talking about the national defense ribbon? Thats what they are still giving out in basic last I heard.

To receive the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal you must have performed duty in a designated anti-terrorism operation.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Whitlow513

--
    20 Oct 2015 09:06 PM
    hi there
    ok bear with me guys. my wife was in the army. when she graduated a school she had the army service ribbon, national defense, and global war on terrorism service medal. 
    i just have the national defense.
    according to the Web, the GWOT-S is for any branch serving after 9/11 to a date yet to be determined. we are also still engaged in active conflict, so wouldn't that let me eligible to wear it?
    i see the website where it tells us what we have earned and such. 
    i just notice folks dont talk about this medal much and i dont see it yet. we dont exactly wear our dress blues on or near the cutter. im still very new to the coast guard
    thanks everyone!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 Oct 2015 09:51 PM
    Just because its authorized does not mean the commandant of our branch is giving it out.

Only wear the ribbons that you've been awarded, that are posted in Direct Access. On the cutter you should be getting a sea service ribbon after a year, and might get a few more depending on what the cutter accomplishes while you are there.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    h2opoloplyr

--
    20 Oct 2015 09:56 PM
    It requires 30 days of continuous service or 60 non-consecutive days at a unit directly supporting the Global War on Terror. It seems like the Commandant has delegated it down to districts or areas to make the determination of what units that includes. Ask your YN when you report, they'll be able to help you out.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    20 Oct 2015 10:22 PM
    Ok I am not trying to be a wise guy and maybe I read your last questions completely wrong but is your wife in the CG and wants to wear her medals from the Army? or do you want to wear your wifes medal because you think you are entitled? to?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    21 Oct 2015 08:46 AM
    Posted By magmam on 20 Oct 2015 10:22 PM
    Ok I am not trying to be a wise guy and maybe I read your last questions completely wrong but is your wife in the CG and wants to wear her medals from the Army? or do you want to wear your wifes medal because you think you are entitled? to?

It doesn't sound like either of these scenarios.  What I'm reading is that his wife was in the Army and earned certain awards after completion of Basic Training and AIT (Army's version of A School).  I think he's asking if he's authorized similar awards given the same circumstances.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    21 Oct 2015 04:03 PM
    thanks CPORJM- it honestly didn't seem likely that someone would post what I asked about but I guess I didn't understand the question!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Oct 2015 09:32 PM
    It matters little because a shipmate is a shipmate but Whitlow is a female and her wife is a female. Just clarifying.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Whitlow513

--
    22 Oct 2015 05:12 PM
    hi everyone
    ok, ill just go off of what direct access says.
    everyone kept asking me and i figured i would check on here and check with my YN.
    thanks for all of your help in clearing that up.
    yeah we do have to be on our ship for a year for the sea service, and a few more months before i can wear any other medals.
    guess i just wanted to get out there and get stuff done to spruce up my dress blues
    loving the coast guard!!!
    and yes, my spouse is a female, who was active duty army for years. 
    things surely are different between the services.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    22 Oct 2015 10:00 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 21 Oct 2015 09:32 PM
    It matters little because a shipmate is a shipmate but Whitlow is a female and her wife is a female. Just clarifying.

So?  What does her personal life have to do with a question regarding uniform regs?  If it matters little, why is it relevant?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    22 Oct 2015 10:19 PM
    OG was just clarifying the relationship because someone assumed she was a guy
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Oct 2015 06:36 AM
    Chief, I understand how the question was read and the assumption that was made that this is a husband and wife. I'm sure Whitlow understands that would be the normal assumption when reading about spouses. But in this case That would not be correct. She might not have offered the correction but women typically don't like being referred to by the pronoun "him/his", just as a man wouldn't like to be called "she/her". That was all I was trying to illustrate.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Whitlow513

--
    26 Oct 2015 02:35 PM
    its ok guys, we used to it. the military is doing a great job accepting folks as they are nowadays, they still have a ways to go, but we are pleased for the most part with the transition. so much better these days! lets not fight or be upset in any way. thanks for clarifying and asking. but really, its ok. appreciate you all! semper paratus!!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement