Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Future Coastie Girlfriend
Last Post 21 Oct 2015 10:46 PM by rico. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
claudianicole7

--
20 Oct 2015 01:55 PM
    My boyfriend of over 2 years has decided to join the Coast Guard. He has only just started his application process, but in four months I will be moving to Ecuador for five months so we are trying to get everything figured out sooner rather than later! I have so many questions and I don't know anyone who has been in the Coast Guard! We have had a long distance relationship since we met (We met on a cruise ship January 2013) and we are both very ready to be in the same place and will be married as soon as I am able to finish school (VERY long story why we aren't in the same state yet). With him going into the Coast Guard and potentially being assigned somewhere when I get back, we are worried about how things are going to work out!

1. How long does the process typically take until you are sent off to bootcamp?
    2. I am in the middle of my schooling right now and need to finish ASAP. How long are you typically in one place at a time? I have about 2-3 years left and transferring schools is difficult in the middle of a major because every school is so different!
    3. With jobs, how easy is it to find a job that will hire you for a few years at a time? What kind of jobs do you Coastie Wives have? I have yet to decide what I'm going to school for but I know that it needs to be something I can go place to place with but I have no idea what kind of jobs are like that! 
    4. How long ahead do you know when you will be moving? Is it only months? Is it at least a year?

It may seem silly cause we're only just dating, but we are very serious about being together and making this work! We've got a lot to figure out as you can see
    Thanks ahead of time!!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    20 Oct 2015 10:49 PM
    1. The answer to this question can be three to six months from the start of the process until he ships for boot camp. My son started the process in June, finished High School in Sept and has a ship date in January. We have been told all slot are filled until Jan.

3. Jobs . finding a job really depends on what you want to do and where you live. Where you live is the key. A boat station on the Gulf Coast located in a small town can be hard for anyone to find work.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Oct 2015 09:45 AM
    Welcome aboard. You've come to the right place with questions. We are happy to help.

2. Your first station out of boot camp can be as long as 3 years. It can be as short as 6 months. It depends how well your boyfriend does, what rate he wants, the wait time for that A School. There are several factors when considering time at the first station out of boot camp. So no one can give you an answer of "You will be there for exactly X amount of time."

3. Jobs - My daughter-in-law is a Pharmacist. She has not had problems but that is 6 years of college and your Doctorate in Pharmacology. They met closer to the end of her schooling so that might not be an option for you at this point in your schooling. But nurse, school teacher, hair dresser (honestly, I'm not trying to degrade anyone's profession or intelligence). Everywhere you go there will be a hospital or doctor's offices, they'll need nurses. Everywhere you go there will be schools, they'll need teachers. Everywhere you go, people like to get their hair done, they'll need stylists. Try to think of jobs in those terms. If you are an Art Major concentrating on French Provincial Art from the 1800's, you are going to have one hell of a time finding jobs! You see where I'm going with this, I'm sure. Think in terms of what do you see in almost every city, no matter what. If you are going to work, which most do, that's how you want to focus. Once I had my son I became a stay at home mom, so we could have been stationed on the moon, I wouldn't have cared. But that was the choice I made.

4. My sons last transfer he found out sometime around the beginning of November that they were going from Seattle to NYC. They had a report in date of no later than July 30th. That was a good 7 month lead time. But again you are looking at the immediate times... Boot camp is 8 weeks, he will find out in week 5 where he will be stationed. That gives you 3 weeks notice. A School they make their picks from a list provided by the school around halfway through. So if school is only 8 weeks, you'll find out in very short order. If school is 18 weeks, you'll have slightly more advance notice. After that, when he is a Petty Officer, is in a normal transfer rotation, the lead time is decent. People have had very short notice but that is rare. Typically you will get 4-10 months notice of where you are going. You will also know long before that when your transfer date is, in the normal rotation. Back to my son as an example... he reported July 29th, 2015. He knows he will be transferring summer of 2019. Could something happen to push that sooner? Of course. But this is what they are looking at if no circumstances arise.

Any other questions, let us know. We are here to guide and help if we can.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    rico

--
    21 Oct 2015 10:46 PM
    Long distance can really be not fun sometimes but my wife and I have done it for almost 2 years and we will finally be able to live in the same place. It can be done but it takes effort from both of you!

1. My process was 7 months start to finish but it will vary for each person. It really comes down to being proactive and doing everything you can to make your recruiter's job that much easier. This means prompt responses on his part, making sure he is organized with paperwork and such, and other things like that. Then it's really just a waiting game.

2. His non-rate time will depend on what school he wants to attend. The lists are wide open right now so that may mean he moves a couple times while you are finishing school. That happens, and that is part of being a military family, but you do what you have to and make it work!

3. My wife is a teacher. I've seen spouses have a ton of different jobs! I've even seen people in the civilian world change jobs every few years so don't let that hold you back from making a decision on whether to stay somewhere for a longer period of time.

4. Boot camp and A-school notices are a lot shorter than once you are rated and are at a unit for 3+ years. I just found out where I'm going out of A-school 2 months ago and am graduating in a little bit, so the turn around time was not that long. Boot camp is even shorter. But, once you are settled into a rating, you know way ahead of time when you are supposed to transfer, it just comes down to where you are going to go when that time comes.

It's my opinion that this type of lifestyle is an adventure! Embrace it! Lean on each other and explore all of your new opportunities knowing that you get to do it together! Best of luck.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement