Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
"A" School advice?
Last Post 04 Nov 2015 07:09 PM by aztecmatt. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
aztecmatt

--
20 Oct 2015 02:53 PM
    Just got orders to BM "A" School and I'm still waiting to hear from the advisor on what to bring. Any advice on things to bring or prepare for for life at Yorktown?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    20 Oct 2015 03:54 PM
    Bring a full sea bag, civilian clothes, and something to entertain yourself if you don't have a car. Yorktown is pretty far from a town with anything to do. I highly recommend drinking in moderation while you're there if you're over 21. The pool, gym, and movie theater are pretty good and worth spending plenty of time in.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    21 Oct 2015 08:18 AM
    Thanks, gears. I plan on running and working out a lot (won't have a car there). Wife and I are trying to save money for a place at the next unit. Didn't know there was a pool there, that's great to hear.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    21 Oct 2015 09:53 AM
    If you can it would be worth your time to rent a car for a weekend or two and travel around. Yorktown is surrounded by Revolutionary War and Civil War site.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    21 Oct 2015 10:33 AM
    That'd be awesome. Are any close enough to run to?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Oct 2015 01:39 PM
    The base is situated inside the Yorktown battlefields. Once you leave the gate you'll be in them. There are plenty of trails to jog on.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    rico

--
    21 Oct 2015 10:26 PM
    My advice would be to make friends! Hopefully somebody will have a car and you can tag along with them. Busch Gardens is close by, but hopefully they will be opening back up while you're there. DC and Baltimore aren't too far off for a long weekend. We made the trip from Elizabeth City to see the US Men's National Team play in Baltimore and it wasn't that crazy of a drive!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Oct 2015 02:26 PM
    Yorktown to DC is over 150 miles... You would probably need an out of bounds chit for that. I'm not sure the distance that is acceptable but that might be pushing it during A School. Just a word to the wise, when in doubt be sure to ask a class adviser.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    22 Oct 2015 02:50 PM
    Roger. I still haven't heard from the class advisor and I leave in less than a month...My orders don't give me a number or POC. Do they contact us with a welcome aboard package at some point or am I supposed to reach out to TRACEN? My biggest concern is I will be arriving 1 day earlier (due to that Sunday being the busies travel day of the year) and need to arrange a place to stay.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Oct 2015 06:48 PM
    Standard travel is you arrive and check in on Sunday sometime. If you're flying book your flight to Newport News it's the closest airport, a cab can take you to the Tracen. Have them drop you off at Lafayette Hall. Go to the front desk, tell them what school you're checking into and give them your orders. They'll tell you where to go. You'll likely have orientation that evening with your class advisers.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    23 Oct 2015 02:31 PM
    Thanks, Gears. For the swimming portion of "A" school, are we athorized to wear our own trunks, or do we need the same, blue ones from bootcamp?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    24 Oct 2015 12:14 AM
    Maybe things have changed, but I don't recall a swimming portion of A school. Yorktown has a really nice pool you should definitely take advantage of.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    24 Oct 2015 08:08 PM
    OK, I assumed with the pool and going to BM school we'd have to do some sort of PFD training or something in there.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 Oct 2015 03:12 PM
    It's possible you'll do a survival swim while you're there.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    01 Nov 2015 01:58 PM
    Are we allowed to bring a thermos around to class in our backpack?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    04 Nov 2015 06:21 AM
    We were allowed to carry water bottles in our backpacks in petaluma so I'm sure its not an issue. Just don't have it spill everywhere.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    04 Nov 2015 07:09 PM
    Thanks, it's going to be cold and I was hoping to bring my fuel with me
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement