Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Newbie!
Last Post 25 Oct 2015 08:42 PM by Superfly. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Superfly

--
25 Oct 2015 11:46 AM
    Good day to all!  I am the newest member of the forums.  I've been looking into the military for about a year trying to find the right fit.  This process has actually been very difficult since each branch is more diverse than I imagined and the entire officer/enlisted and active/reserve dynamic further complicated things.  I've narrowed my choice to the Coast Guard Reserve or Navy Reserve because the USCGR seems like a tight family where professionalism is very high but no one is above having some fun and the missions are so diverse and really exciting while the USNR has a few ratings that directly translate to my civilian career/education so both the Navy and I could benefit from the training and my current skills.  I'm leaning toward the USCGR, however, because the drills sound like they are not monotonous and there are a few more stations I can drill at compared to the USNR.  Plus it sounds like USCG Reservists actually do work within their rating instead of spending drill doing medical and paperwork reviews which is a concern I have had about the USNR.    

I started the process as a heavier guy (29 years old and 5'10/230 lbs.) but I have been working really hard to lose it (I am at 191 lbs. now).  I have not yet taken the ASVAB but I'm sure I will be doing so in the very near future.  I saw the listing of Reserve vacancies in my area (D9-Chicago) and while there are not many, there are some!  I'm here on this forum to learn as much as I can so that I will understand what is expected of me from the USCG during the recruiting process, boot camp (maybe DEPOT if my degrees and work experience can get me there) and during drill.  I also plan on absorbing as much information as I can about the various ratings and their career progressions and their training/qualifications.  I am also looking forward to reading through all the Reservist threads, networking with future peers and finding out a little more about being a Coast Guardsman in the Reserve.    

I am excited and nervous at the same time.  I know the balance between work/drill/family will be difficult but I believe the personal satisfaction from serving will see me through it.  And yes, I do know that is a selfish reason but that is one of the reasons why I want to join - to know I did it.  

Thank you all for the opportunity to be a poster here.  I'm looking forward to it.  Have a great day!          
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    25 Oct 2015 02:25 PM
    Welcome aboard! Something to know about CG Reservists is that they are integrated into Active Duty units. You'll be working alongside the AD folks and trained to the same standard. The beauty of this is that if you're activated, you'll be working in a unit you know, with people you know, in a job you've been trained to do.

If you have any questions about the Reserve program, feel free to contact me. I've been a CG Reservist for nearly 15 years, so I have a good handle on how things work on that side of the house.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    zarant

--
    25 Oct 2015 06:22 PM
    Welcome! I have been a navy reservist for 5 years, in process of switching over to USCG active duty. I can assure you that if you were to join the navy reserve it will highly depend on your rating and the unit you are assigned to as to what you will be doing on drill weekends. From my personal experience the paperwork and admin on drill weekends is very accurate. Anyway, just wanted to chime in on that one part of your post to reassure of the truth to what you heard. Not sure if it matters as it seems you are set on the CG reserve now, which is awesome.
    Superfly

--
    25 Oct 2015 08:42 PM
    CPORJM: Thank you, Sir! I am glad to know that the Reserve works alongside the AD CG. It sounds like that might be why the recruiter made the USCGR more flexible. Researching through the Reserve threads has made me realize that earning qualifications is important but difficult. Having active members around to help with training will be awesome. I really appreciate the assistance with the Reserve and I will definitely contact you to hear about your experiences in the future. Thank you!

zarant: May I ask what was your rating in the USNR? I have a BA in history which allowed me to work as a business manager for five years before I switched over to a skilled trade as a toolmaker and programmer in which I have almost finished my AAS so the USNR was attractive due to the MR and HT ratings. A lot of the guys in the tool room are Navy vets and that is why I figured I would be a good fit. But many of my friends in the Guard (it isn't the Navy but I figure their experiences probably mirror a Navy Reservist) that joined for skilled jobs have been used as door kickers and spend their drill doing PT, medical, paperwork, etc. and not focusing much on their trade. I haven't ruled out the USNR, I'm just worried that the ratings I am looking at would be underutilized as a Reservist or that the relatively small presence of the USNR in the Chicagoland area would limit my options. At least with the USCGR, I have a few stations to choose from provided the vacancies exist. Good luck with the switch to AD USCG!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement