Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Prior CG - Advice to Maximize Chance of Coming Back?
Last Post 10 Nov 2015 04:39 PM by AirDale13. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Ulysses

--
06 Nov 2015 01:38 AM
    Hello Everyone,

I am a prior service USCG YN3 with an Honorable Discharge RE1 May 2014 after 4 years AD, now IRR. That I ever left is something I regret every day. It seemed hopeless for me to be accepted back in because of the high retention rate but I recently saw that HYT has opened up A schools. With the blessing of my wife I have mailed in the pre-screening packet and am waiting to hear from a recruiter.

I understand how difficult it is to come back after you have left due to the cost of retraining prior service. I have no medical issues, not even a negative page 7, and I have not done anything that would disqualify me since I left. I am all for attending basic training again, working my way up from the bottom, and taking a critical rate if need be (I looked into OS seriously before and am considering taking that route either way).

What I am asking is what more can I do before, or when, I meet the recruiter to improve my chances of being accepted? Other than pray. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    08 Nov 2015 09:24 AM
    When I get in the office I'll check the SOP for specifics.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    09 Nov 2015 08:45 AM
    You may be able to come in as an E3. YN3 is not on the ORL so you may have a shot with a critical rate. That will allow you ample time to make E5 within 10 years so HYT won't affect you. I say go for it.
    Ulysses

--
    09 Nov 2015 05:03 PM
    Thank you for your response! I managed to speak with a recruiter on go coastguard and he stated I could possibly come in as an E3 through DEPOT, get assigned to a unit as a non rate, and put my name on an a school list as usual. Do you agree this may be possible or are the critical rates likely my only option? Still waiting on my packet making it to local recruiting office to get into contact with them, apparently USPS says its closed today. Probably will cold call them tomorrow and offer to bring in a new packet if it doesn't get there.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    09 Nov 2015 05:31 PM
    You could do that too. Just keep in mind that whatever rate you choose you'll need to make E5 within 6 years. Good luck!
    Ulysses

--
    09 Nov 2015 07:28 PM
    Thank you. Always great to get a second opinion. We will see what I am actually told by this recruiter. I did not know my time in before would apply to the E5 deadline, good to know.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Nov 2015 06:53 AM
    The post office is closed tomorrow, Veteran's Day. But not today or yesterday.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Ulysses

--
    10 Nov 2015 11:31 AM
    Thank you. I made sure to send the package with tracking and it was signed for about an hour ago. So now just waiting to hear from them after they review it.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    10 Nov 2015 04:39 PM
    Yes, all active duty time will count.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement