Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Questions regarding advancement after Basic, with a twist
Last Post 12 Nov 2015 04:46 PM by SchoonerBum. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Resolved
SchoonerBum

--
10 Nov 2015 07:09 PM
    I have a BS, but my GPA wasn't quite high enough to go straight to OCS (not that that would be guaranteed with all the people applying).  

Am I correct in assuming that I will start as an E-3 right off the bat? Or do I spend Basic as an E-1 then get promoted to E-3 after?

Going off that same vein, what is the probable (expecting a 3 month wait for A school) rate of advancement within that first 2 years of duty?

I go in for my check up physical, and swearing in to DEP next week! I am both nervous and excited at the same time.  Any little tips to help me along in my possible career path?  Started all the physical fitness stuff.  what would be the minimum I should shoot for?  Boot camp graduation Requirements? More?

Thank you all for your information and help.

Schooner Bum
    quickblur

--
    11 Nov 2015 07:24 AM
    A 3 month wait for A school? Are you going into the reserves?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    11 Nov 2015 09:45 AM
    You're paid as an E3 at boot but you're still an E1 like the rest. You will be an E3 at graduation while those without degrees are E2. Also, 0-3 months does NOT mean it's always quick. I got qualled and passed EPME right away and it took me 7 months to go to A school on a 0-3 month list (that includes 4 month waiting period all non rates have to do). What rate are you looking at?

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    11 Nov 2015 09:49 AM
    Memorize that required knowledge. You'll get lots more to learn while you're there, so make sure you have all that stuff down before getting hit with even more. Google the PT requirements.
    SchoonerBum

--
    11 Nov 2015 10:59 AM
    Thank you for that info aztecmatt, the rate was BM, but that was just a benchmark to get an idea of the rate of advancement as an E-3 out of boot camp.

Quickblur: Active Duty preferably either a small boat station or a small vessel is what I'm hoping for, but where I go, I go, and I will be content
    Ulysses

--
    11 Nov 2015 02:07 PM
    When you arrive at your first unit you cannot put your name down on an A School list for four months - minimum. It is at command discretion to put your name on a list depending on if you got qualified quick enough and they feel you are ready. Also 0-3 months can change at a moments notice, the classes may fill up or the waitlist could grow quite a bit by the time you are eligible to put your name down. Just remain flexible and excel as a nonrated so you don't get held back.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    11 Nov 2015 04:34 PM
    Get a copy of The Helmsman here...http://www.gocoastguard.com/family-...e-helmsman
    This will get you up to speed on things you'll need to know prior to shipping
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    11 Nov 2015 10:36 PM
    Within the first 2 years you should expect to be an E4 being very close to competing for E5. It will depend on a lot of things, but I would say that is a realistic look if your squared away and hussle.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    12 Nov 2015 02:09 AM
    For BM, I would say an average person makes E5 around the 4-5 year mark. They need to get a coxswain qualification (or underway OOD) which can prove to be difficult, even if you are at a station (coxswain). The rating also goes through cycles of quick advancement and then really slow advancement.

If you think you want be a BM, consider the fact that overall it's a pretty stressful path. You'll be fighting tooth and nail to get a coxswain letter, and then be fully responsible for your own SAR cases, and then you are basically expected to start grooming for Officer in Charge if you plan on doing a career. Just some stuff to think about, and you'll understand it more once you are in.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    SchoonerBum

--
    12 Nov 2015 04:46 PM
    Thank you Bells

At the least what I have gathered from this forum, never set my sights on anything except to be the best at what is needed, and keep going till all danger has passed. Or something like that.
    I will be content with whatever I end up doing, but I have not discounted a career in the CG. If I like it, or at least don't dislike it, then I might do another enlistment, then figure out if I want to do 20+
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement