Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
It's FINALLY happening...
Last Post 20 Nov 2015 07:48 AM by Old Guard2. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ConsMom

--
18 Nov 2015 09:44 AM
    After a few setbacks and a lot of waiting, my son just got word today that he will be swearing in on Dec. 10 and his ship date to Cape May is March 1. I am a basket case of emotions right now! Mostly excited and happy! I have a scenario in my head that I would like to share and get some feedback on, just so I can wrap my head around the next (possible) steps. Let's just say, he ships to Cape May on March 1, and makes it through boot camp without any setbacks (injuries, reversions, etc). When would graduation be? Also, when is it "safe" for a family to look into flights and hotel reservations for graduation...week 5?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Nov 2015 01:58 PM
    Many congratulations. I know it has been an up & down already for you and your son. If all goes well, and it will be positive, graduation will be April 22nd. Hotel reservations you can make earlier, just be sure to check the hotels cancellation or change policy. Typically there is no charge for that. You can let them know you are going to be in town for CG Graduation. They will work with you, should something change. Flights, I would wait until end of week 5. I know, I hate waiting that late to make reservations myself. But on the off chance... You want to wait. I waited until the end of week 6. If you can, Southwest is the best to fly on and be able to make affordable changes!!!!! You will not pay for a rebooking fee. If the ticket you change to is cheaper, they will actually give you a credit for the difference. If the price is the same, you owe nothing! I would watch flights and prices and if a deal pops up that is too good to pass on, just ask what the change policy is and go for it (if it won't break the bank if you need to change).

My ex booked VERY EARLY and had to change reservations TWICE! I waited and I was fine. Same with car rental, just check the change policy but booking that farther in the future isn't a problem. Most rental agencies, so long as you give 24 hour notice, changing isn't a problem, even cancelling. I'm so excited for you both!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ConsMom

--
    18 Nov 2015 02:53 PM
    Thank you, OG!

Will my son be able to come with me back to the hotel after the graduation ceremony? I plan on him flying back home with me for his 5 day leave.

Also: Who makes the travel arrangements for him to get to his station? Does the CG pay for his flight to get there if he chooses not to drive?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    19 Nov 2015 06:21 PM
    You can fly SW into Newark or Philly the drive time is about the same. I just priced out tickets for the end of March and they were very reasonable on SW.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Nov 2015 07:41 AM
    Newark to Cape May is about 150 miles. Philly to Cape may is about 90 miles. The drive time, having been raised in NJ and I was a truck driver in NY/NJ/PA/CT for a few years... The drive time isn't even close!!!!! Philly is MUCH shorter, not only distance but time wise as well!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Nov 2015 07:48 AM
    As soon as they are dismissed from graduation, they are free to leave the base. So yes, he would be able to leave with you. You can buy his ticket to fly home with you or you can just let him know your arrangements. He can work with the travel office to be on the same flight that you will be on. How he gets to his duty station and the time allowed will be based on where he is going to be stationed. They calculate travel time from Cape May, not from wherever home is. Cape May is his home for 8 weeks. So if he is in Boston, 1 day travel time if driving. Not a whole lot of money in the way of airline ticket if he is flying. If he is in Seattle, he gets 9 days if driving, 1 day if flying. Plus they will pretty much pay for that whole ticket. It will all be explained to him in Cape May and he will be able to handle it and do it all... You'll be amazed! Just keep him up to date on what your flight plans are. He can match those.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement