Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Currently USAF AD to USCG reserve
Last Post 30 Nov 2015 09:28 PM by CPORJM. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BD2016

--
24 Nov 2015 10:03 AM
    Hi all, I am currently USAF AD, E5 as a 1P071 Aircrew Flight Equipment. My job closely translates to AST as in maintain survival gear and helmets and packing parachutes but without the cool rescue swimming piece, I have over 7 years in with a total of 7 years and 11 months once I separate. I have been told that I can not enlist as AD AST but I can go for reserves, however with a drop to E3. I also work as a Volunteer Firefighter as an NREMT-B with IV/IO and a few firefighter certs. I am planning on attempting to do FF full time as a career and I feel that the coast guard reserves would be a good place for me. My two options that I am looking at are presently BM or ME. I have spent the majority of my career so far doing the support thing but I like the draw of doing the mission going out on patrols and so forth. hence me wanting to be at a small boat station (I'm currently in Wa state) Sorry for the novel. It's a big move for me - main questions... Do ME's get to go on SAR calls and act as a boat crew member or do they just do ME stuff? Theoretically speaking would I get to do EMT stuff since I am certified or would I have to be an HST (which I really don't want to do). If anyone has any insight to something I might not be seeing or if anyone has any additional info that would be helpful please let me know. Also does anyone know the day to day of an ME at a small boat station? V/R BD
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    25 Nov 2015 11:48 AM
    Just about any rating can get boat crew qualified, so you would be able to go on SAR cases. As an ME, you'll also get Boarding Team Member/Boarding Officer qualifed, so you'll be doing LE as well. As far as EMT stuff, you may still have to go to the CG's EMT school, even though you have national certification. I'm not 100% sure on that.  

Start talking with a CG recruiter now, so that your discharge from the AF  and your enlistment in the CGR can be seamless.  That way you have no break in service.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    BD2016

--
    25 Nov 2015 06:59 PM
    Are breaks in service bad?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    26 Nov 2015 10:32 AM
    Posted By BD2016 on 25 Nov 2015 07:59 PM
    Are breaks in service bad?

Not really.  It just means that your time in service clock stops and you'll have to do that much longer to get your 20 good years towards retirement.  Example:  you ETS from the Air Force in January of next year, but don't enlist in the CGR until April.  That's three months of time you won't get credit for.

To get a good year towards retirement in the Reserves, you need a minimum of 50 retirement points in your anniversary year (this starts the month you enlist). You get one point per drill (a four hour block of time), so for your weekend you would get 4 points. If you do all of your required drills, you'll get 48 points in a year.  When you're on active duty, you get one point per day, so for your 2 week ADT period, you'll get 12 points.  Finally, you get 15 membership points (these are freebies) just for being a member of the Reserves.  At the end of your anniversary, you can easily have 70 points.  More points are good points, because your retirement allowance is based on the number of points you have.  
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    BD2016

--
    28 Nov 2015 02:15 PM
    So Wanting to work in the Seattle area as a reservist is my only option for a "specialized" unit a Psu? I've heard that all of the reserve spots at the msst got taken away, I don't think I would mind being at the small boat station.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    28 Nov 2015 03:35 PM
    I know the MSST in Los Angeles still has Reserve positions, but I can't say whether or not that's true CG wide. As for going to the PSU, I don't recommend it,as it doesn't really give you a real picture of what the Coast Guard is all about. There are a number of small boat stations in the Pacific Northwest. Look here..https://www.uscg.mil/d13/page/unit.asp

The best source of what's available will be your recruiter. They can only recruit to fill open billets. Go to www.gocoastguard.com to get in touch with a recruiter in the Seattle area.
    BD2016

--
    29 Nov 2015 06:39 PM
    I am in touch, I really appreciate the info CPORJM. Honestly I would love to do AST but with my time in, it doesn't look like its in the cards... unfortunately. I am going to try and visit a small boat station with my recruiter and see how it is. I've heard that some reservists end up being apart of a costume party and don't really contribute but that's common with our reserve and air guard guy. I'm in the ME BM dilemma still but leaning towards BM as it is available and also I can do more, but I'll wait until I can talk to some folks and see for myself.

Again thanks,

BD
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    30 Nov 2015 09:28 PM
    A couple of things to know. None of the aviation ratings are open to Reservists, so AST is out for you. Second, the CG integrated it's Reservists into the AD side of the house 20 years ago, so there are no seperate Reserve units, unlike the USAFR or ANG. You are trained and work alongside the AD guys and are expected to perform to the same standard.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement