Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
hey there!
Last Post 21 Apr 2016 04:40 PM by Old Guard2. 25 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
AG305

--
04 Dec 2015 09:59 AM
    hey there everyone. long time reader, first time poster. let me just say that this forum has been very helpful for me and my decision to officially join the coast guard.

i chose the coast guard over all the other military branches because i really enjoy what the coast guard does and i love being on or around the water. even though the navy is another seagoing service it just doesnt appeal to me as much, it seems pretty boring honestly. the coast guard looks like theyre the hardest working branch and is constantly up to something. thats what i really liked best!

ive already sat down with my recruiter and took the asvab at my local meps. right now im just waiting to go to back for my physical but my recruiter has been out of town so i gotta wait. the whole process has been going alot quicker than i thought it was gonna be. i contacted, met with my recruiter and took the asvab in less than a month.

while i wait, i downloaded the .pdf version of the helmsman and already memorized everything in it. i remember the majority of the stuff from jrotc in high school so i should be good to go in that department and able to easily pass through boot camp (although im not expecting it to be easy at all). prepare for the worst and hope for the best, thats what i always say.

all in all im ready for this next journey of mine. im in this for the long run! believe me, with the right attitude towards anything you do in life you will get very far. hopefully i get to meet some of you wonderful people and maybe even work together. thatll be pretty awesome! 
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Dec 2015 11:18 AM
    Welcome aboard and best of luck. Sounds like all is going well for you and you are already getting squared away with knowledge. That's a great approach. Be sure to keep up your physical fitness as well. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If you've been reading, you know we are happy to help however we can.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    04 Dec 2015 11:46 AM
    thank you so much old guard! im definitely working on my fitness. im actually at boot camp graduation standards right now but im working on exceeding the standards so that they come alot easier.

would you happen to know if during the actual fitness test (pushups, situps) you keep on going after youve hit the required number or is it just get to the number and youre done? 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    05 Dec 2015 04:58 AM
    It's a timed test so you can do as many as you want. We had one guy that got around 70 or so in a minute and he paid for it later on the quarterdeck so be warned.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    05 Dec 2015 08:21 AM
    yeah that makes sense. no need to over do it really. im sure you get nothing special from doing more than whats neccessary on the test besides being dead tired the next day and having to continue with your usual pt.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    06 Dec 2015 01:22 PM
    We also had a push up contest for our company led by the CC's in our final week for bragging rights. By week 5 you shouldn't be too sore after the PT test after all the hammering of 4 weeks of boot camp.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    06 Dec 2015 02:31 PM
    im so excited for boot camp you have no clue! i cant wait.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    06 Jan 2016 11:45 AM
    so i decided to call my recruiters office to find out whats the latest now that christmas and new years is over and it turns out she left somewhere else without telling me. ive been sitting in limbo since november thinking that because of the holidays things were gonna slow down but it turns out i couldve been processing this whole time!  recruiters dont just do that do they??

well, now after patiently waiting a long time for nothing i got in contact with another recruiter whos taking care of me. hopefully the ball gets rolling quickly. meps is my next step.

time is something you cant get back...
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Jan 2016 11:57 AM
    First & foremost, your recruiter is human. The next recruiter you have is human. Human's make mistakes, forget things, hand things off appropriately and rely on the next human to maintain the same level of professionalism. Yes, it happens. From time to time these things happen. You must also consider that your recruiter left to a new unit, the recruiter that was given all of her prospective applicants may already have a desk full of prospective applicants that he is already working with. So with holiday routine and added recruits and possibly her replacement having not reported in yet, you weren't the first recruit he contacted. There are probably a hundred other possible scenarios. Recruiters are like every other billet in the CG, 4 years and done. It isn't like Recruiter is a rating and they stay in the same office for 20 years. They come and go like everyone else in the CG at every other unit.

Is it frustrating? You betcha!!! I understand you are anxious and want to keep the ball rolling. However, why did you let it wait 6, 7, 8 weeks pass before you attempted contact again? Even with holidays and things happening, you can reach out. Hey, how ya doin, happy holidays, can't wait to get together again to keep plugging along. You would have found out 5 weeks ago she was gone. Don't put all the onus on one person... Especially when one person is dealing with a hundred and you are one person dealing with one person. You could accept a little responsibility in this as well.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    06 Jan 2016 12:22 PM
    oh no i contacted her every single week. happy thanksgiving, merry christmas etc etc. she just stopped replying and i figured it was just because of the time of the year, no big. when we first got in contact she would reply to me all the time so when she stopped i was like whatever its christmas. i took the asvab on the 23rd of november and i still dont even know my score. been waiting since and constantly trying to get ahold of her.

im not mad or nothing i just wish she wouldve told me so i couldve continued processing instead of sitting around doing nothing. thats what i find strangest of all. its all good though, stuff happens. i just gotta keep moving forward now.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    12 Jan 2016 02:22 PM
    met with my new recruiter today. everything went well and is moving along again after the little hump i had to go over. got my asvab scores and qualified for all the jobs im interested in.

finally got my meps date! i go on the 22nd. wish me luck!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    22 Jan 2016 12:01 PM
    officially cleared by meps! i couldnt be more happy right now! i gotta say, it was way more simple then i thought and expected it to be. time flew. very interesting day if i should say. i was the only CG applicant which i wasnt so surprised about but it was funny cause we were all watching a show about some crazy hurricanes and tsunamis and everyone was like... hey coastie! you ready to go out and save those people?? i was like hell yeah! semper paratus! lol then some marine said i was crazy and he can never do that.

it was a great day. now im ready for boot camp. bring it on!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    22 Jan 2016 11:26 PM
    Congratulations. Now be careful and don't do anything to get hurt. What is your ship date to NJ? Also if you haven't done so yet get into a semi boot camp routine by going to bed early and getting up early, keeping you room squared away and making your bed if you don't do it now.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    23 Jan 2016 06:29 AM
    thanks alot! i havent got a ship date as of yet but i should be getting it real soon i hope. what ive been mainly doing is making sure im passed the graduation pft standards. i do like the idea of getting used to the hours. do you know or any recent grad know more or less the time you get up and time you get to bed? with those numbers ill be able to train my sleep cycle as well.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    24 Jan 2016 08:58 PM
    I believe it was 2200-0500 for sleep. You also have to be wary of being on watch too which happens throughout the night
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    24 Jan 2016 10:00 PM
    7 hours seems good enough. how long is the usual watch?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Jan 2016 08:01 AM
    Congratulations on all moving forward. Best of luck. I love the answers from the people at MEPS with you. When they are running for cover, we are headed out. That's a good thing.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    25 Jan 2016 10:25 AM
    thanks old guard. its crazy how theres still people who dont really know what the coast guard does. at meps i also got the "the coast guard isnt military" line. if it isnt military then why am i even here with the rest of you!? good times, good times.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Jan 2016 12:06 PM
    I was in a Wal-Mart parking lot (just saying Wal-Mart is the lead into this story...) I have a Blue Star Mothers sticker and a Coast Guard Mom sticker on my car. I had a woman threaten to rip the BSM sticker off my car because the CG isn't real military. I told her touch my car she would find out how real military a CG MOM can be when I kick her behind. I should have used it as a teaching moment... But instead I used it as a threaten her life moment. That seemed to work better for me. You will encounter A LOT of people that don't know the CG is military. There is no helping stupid.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    25 Jan 2016 12:20 PM
    haha good job! thats awesome. yeah theres definitely some pretty dumb misinformed people in this world. hopefully i dont have to deal with too many of them.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jchen012

--
    25 Jan 2016 03:58 PM
    Not sure if your recruiter told you about the handbook, but here it is:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/docs...tGuide.pdf

When I was in basic, my CCs loved to ask us the 11 General Orders. You should be able to recite any of those on command. Also memorize the nautical terms and rank structure.

Good luck!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    25 Jan 2016 04:20 PM
    thanks jchen! ive had the .pdf version of the helmsman since i initially contacted my recruiter. i have it all down pretty much. nautical terms, general orders, the ethos, the phonetic alphabet etc etc. im a great studier 

the only stuff i obviously dont know is whatever im gonna find out about once i get to cape may. but hey, at least i wont have to pile all that stuff on top of the required knowledge also!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    10 Feb 2016 05:01 PM
    how long does the initial background check usually take? the one for a boot camp date. last i spoke with my recruiter he said hes waiting to hear back about that so he can get my eqip going. what would you say is the average wait time?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    24 Feb 2016 06:27 PM
    background and credit check done. next step, ship date! im freakin excited!! so ready for this.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    20 Apr 2016 10:51 AM
    quick update on my process.

i finally go dep in on the 28th! its been an incredibly long 10 month journey complete with 2 different waivers but my recruiter is awesome and made it happen. he really wanted me in! now its time to REALLY get in boot camp mode because i refuse to let my recruiter down after all the work he has done and his faith in me.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Apr 2016 04:40 PM
    That's the way to look at this! Good for you. That is awesome news.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement