Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Thinking of joining...
Last Post 29 Mar 2004 01:36 AM by Steve. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jessbean

--
28 Mar 2004 01:17 AM
    Hello.  I am seriously considering enlisting in the USCG.  I am an eighteen year old homeschooled high school senior.  I hope to ship out to Cape May by the end of May.  By that time, I will have completed my EMT course.  I hope to train to become a Health Services Technician.  Although my main reason for joining is to leave a not-so-great home situation, I also am searching for direction in my life and figure that there's no better way to find it than while serving my country.  Although I plan on speaking with a recruiter next week, I've a few questions and would be obliged to hear your thoughts.  Thank you in advance.

1. I will not be awarded a high school diploma.  Do you foresee this as being a problem when enlisting?

2. What are my chances, would you say, of being placed in the training school of my choice?

3.  What is the minimum enlistment period?  I will also ask my recruitor. 

4.  Although I wish to uphold the standards of honesty that are expected in the USCG, I have no choice but to make preparations behind my parents' back.  Will this be a problem?

5.  Above all, why should I enlist in the USCG as opposed to the Navy, which I'm also considering?  Tell me why you think the USCG is the better option.
    Steve

--
    28 Mar 2004 04:57 PM

Why won't you be issued a High School diploma?   Will you be getting the GED Equivalent?

I do think that piece of paper is important.  Especially if you are pursuing a career or a job with the govenment.

If you stay at home just a bit longer,  will you be able to get the diploma?

Steve

jessbean

--
    28 Mar 2004 05:54 PM
    Well, I wouldn't mind getting a GED at a later point, but I'm hoping it's not necessary to just get enlisted.  I'd rather not stay home longer than necessary, and the 'diploma' I'd be awarded probably wouldn't be considered valid anyway.
    Steve

--
    29 Mar 2004 01:31 AM
    What are the qualifications to join the Coast Guard?

The following are the basic requirements for joining, you should Be a United States citizen or nationalized to be a Coast Guard officer. To enlist, you must be a United States citizen or a Resident Alien. Be between the ages of 17-27 for Active Duty. If you are 17, you'll need parental consent. Reservists must be between 17-39, Prior service personnel should contact their local recruiter. Have a high school diploma.  GEDs are accepted in special circumstances. Have no more than two dependents. Pass the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test. Pass a military entrance medical exam. Be the type of person who wants to serve the public on or around the water.

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 3/28/2004 6:37:27 PM GMT

Steve

--
    29 Mar 2004 01:36 AM

I know at age 18 that staying in a bad situation for 6 months or a year sounds like an eternity.  But if you have to do it to receive your High School diploma then I would suggest you do it.  The time will pass.  The regret you will feel by not getting your diploma will eventually exceed the pain of staying.

I would also do some research into the validity of the diploma you will receive.  I would hope that it would be valid.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement