Hello. I am seriously considering enlisting in the USCG. I am an eighteen year old homeschooled high school senior. I hope to ship out to Cape May by the end of May. By that time, I will have completed my EMT course. I hope to train to become a Health Services Technician. Although my main reason for joining is to leave a not-so-great home situation, I also am searching for direction in my life and figure that there's no better way to find it than while serving my country. Although I plan on speaking with a recruiter next week, I've a few questions and would be obliged to hear your thoughts. Thank you in advance.
1. I will not be awarded a high school diploma. Do you foresee this as being a problem when enlisting?
2. What are my chances, would you say, of being placed in the training school of my choice?
3. What is the minimum enlistment period? I will also ask my recruitor.
4. Although I wish to uphold the standards of honesty that are expected in the USCG, I have no choice but to make preparations behind my parents' back. Will this be a problem?
5. Above all, why should I enlist in the USCG as opposed to the Navy, which I'm also considering? Tell me why you think the USCG is the better option.