Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Anyone graduated ME A school recently?
Last Post 17 Dec 2015 09:19 AM by stealthtt24. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
stealthtt24

--
09 Dec 2015 10:14 PM

My name is currently on the schoo list and wanted to talk to someone that has graduated ME A school fairly recently. I wanted to know about how the school was and how picks were determined and if any billets open were the DSF ones. Thanks!

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Dec 2015 09:28 AM
    Any billets open in the last class are probably not going to represent what you will get in your class. I've heard of classes it was almost 95% underway billets, then the next class graduating less than a few weeks behind, it was almost all land units. That varies so much.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    PVT Pablo

--
    13 Dec 2015 12:32 AM
    ME 'A' school picks will be based on class rank. You will be ranked on your PT, Range, and written test scores. Typically your sponsor will let the class decide amongst each other where everyone wants to go. If the class cannot decide then it will go to class rank. The billets are based on whatever the detailer gives the 'A' school class. Like Old Guard2 said, it is completely random, and some classes will have no DSF, some all, some Underway and some none at all. My 'A' school class for example had 1 underway billet, 2 Taclets, 6 MSST, 4 Sectors, and 1 station.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    13 Dec 2015 08:18 AM
    Thanks. I figured the billets change from class to class but I've been hearing there are no more MSST/TACLET/MSRT picks straight out of A school these days. Just trying to get an idea of where I can choose so I plan accordingly.
    VeritasAequitas5

--
    13 Dec 2015 11:03 AM
    I graduated in APR2015, and I have been back for C-schools and talked with students as well since then.  They are still offering DSF units to ME A-schools, and I believe they started giving MSRT  billets (one billet was given to someone two months ago) as well.  However, it is entirely dependent on what the detailer wants to give you, and/or what is available.  If there are any available, there will only be a couple, so I would focus on doing the best you can.  Physical fitness and shooting are probably the highest scores, atleast when I was there.  Knowledge is very important as well, but if you pay attention and be proactive it shouldn't be a problem to pick up. 
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    13 Dec 2015 02:32 PM
    A couple of the guys from the last class got taclets, it was offered to them specifically, it wasn't originally on the list
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    15 Dec 2015 10:15 PM
    Appreciate the info. Wasn't really wanting boat duty or a small station in the middle of nowhere so I'll make sure to keep proficent in those areas!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    15 Dec 2015 11:41 PM
    Probably wont get a boat station in the middle of nowhere, those are smaller, and BMs and MKs will do the LE. If you go to a station itll be at a bigger unit that has around 30-40 people. Cutter duty, ya you might. I literally walked a nonrate through the the billets that ME3s have and probably only 30% of them are deployable units and of those you have 30% that are going to be open at any given time. so good luck... try and be happy with whatever your class gets.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    modernwarfare

--
    16 Dec 2015 04:59 AM
    I know someone who works at a station with under 30 people who has a ME2. No clue why, they don't do a lot of boardings. Also, one of the non rates just went to ME school a few weeks ago. He said his class was able to talk amongst themselves and decide where they were going.
    PVT Pablo

--
    16 Dec 2015 07:46 PM
    Who knows, ME detailer is desperately looking to send ME3's to MSRT West. Maybe they'll let 'A' School ME's go there.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Dec 2015 08:03 AM
    Why would you not want to be on a cutter? My son LOVES cutter life. He is enjoying going home at night right now at Sector. But is just marking time until he can get underway again! Underway is the only way!!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    17 Dec 2015 09:19 AM
    I'm currently on a cutter and while I don't hate it completely, what the billited ME's do on board is not why I joined the Coast Guard. We've had a few shiprider ME's and I've talked with them (TACLET's) and that is more my speed. Even talking with the PO's I work with who have done MSST in the past say I would be much happier at those types of units. So that's what I'm shooting for!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement