Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
And So It Goes....
Last Post 16 Dec 2015 08:57 AM by thestormiscoming. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ConsMom

--
15 Dec 2015 01:29 PM
    And so it goes that my son will NOT be a Coastie after all. (Insert a broken heart here.) It's been about a year since my son decided to stop going to college and pursue his Coast Guard career. After a long waiver process, he had another set back with getting an underage drinking fine. That was taken care of and he was cleared and had his physical, ASVAB, was issued a swear in date, (with a plane ticket back to MEPS purchased by the CG)and a ship date of March 1st! Finally some forward momentum for a boy to pursue a career in the Coast Guard and a mom to send off her son to serve our country, meet new people and explore more that a small mid-west town has to offer. But wait... in the last 4 years, this boy had some traffic violations. Two speeding tickets, and one seat belt violation. All fines were paid and nothing was pending in the court system. All proven with documentation from the system and sent to the recruiter and beyond, where he was told last Friday, he cannot join the CG because of the amount of violations. I was told the news last night and felt the wind knocked right out of my sails. He can re-apply in a year, but cannot have anything else on his record. NOTHING. Let this be a lesson to him and others that his poor choices do not go away with getting a ticket and paying a fine. They can be life changing. Back to square one...whatever that is.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    15 Dec 2015 01:34 PM
    Tough news. He might look at other branches.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    15 Dec 2015 02:28 PM
    The rule, per the 2014 SOP, is an applicant needs to have less than 4 traffic violations in the last two years to qualify for service.  Unless there's more to the story, he should have been OK.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Dec 2015 03:27 PM
    Storm, I think the 2 speeding, 1 seat belt, the minor in possession... I think it just added up to too much. Shame, I know your son has been fighting for this. But you are right, sometimes there are consequences to our actions. This is such a tough lesson to learn at such a tender age. I'm really sorry.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ConsMom

--
    16 Dec 2015 07:34 AM
    I found it odd that his flight arrangements were made and his itinerary for was all set for him to swear in on Dec. 9/10. My thought was, "why would that be all set and ready to go if there was an issue with the amount of violations? Wouldn't that have been reviewed ahead of giving him a ship date for boot camp?"

Well, upon further review yesterday, there is more to this unfortunate story as Storm suggested. He WAS good to go with the amount of violations vs. time frame (although at limit) for the rules of the CG. However, Dec. 6, he received another speeding ticket, told his recruiter what happened, and that is what put the halt to the process and to his Coast Guard career. Damn it.

I have spent countless hours on this forum, and on facebook pages, reading the stories and seeing the pictures and thinking, "My son is going to be wearing that uniform one day, and doing great things for people and our country and I will be able to share pictures and stories and watch him become a responsible young man, following his dream." Maybe I want it more for him than he wants it for himself.....

Thanks for the ongoing support, advice and encouragement. Merry Christmas.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    16 Dec 2015 08:57 AM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 15 Dec 2015 04:27 PM
    Storm, I think the 2 speeding, 1 seat belt, the minor in possession... I think it just added up to too much. Shame, I know your son has been fighting for this. But you are right, sometimes there are consequences to our actions. This is such a tough lesson to learn at such a tender age. I'm really sorry.

If the recruiter and RIC felt that they are a good applicant they can still send an applicant to basic with the non-pending MIP and traffic offenses.  An MIP is a minor non-traffic offense. As long as he was not convicted twice in the past year or three times in the last 5 years, they are minimally qualified.

Recruiters also have the option to DQ someone under the "whole person concept" if they have a history or juvenile delinquency, including adjudication as a youthful offender or wayward minor.  Just wanted to get the facts out there with the amount of readers on here.

I hope your son learned his lesson and flies straight to take advantage of the wonderful opportunity of serving his country.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement