Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
NO QUESTION IS A DUMB QUESTION
Last Post 14 Feb 2016 06:28 PM by sofhiaxx. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sofhiaxx

--
22 Dec 2015 05:41 PM

SA GONZALEZ GRADUATED WITH A-192 ON 13NOV15
    I would've loved to have know about this site prior to heading off to basic and had first hand information from former earlier recruits, definitely take advantage of this oppurtunity. I am stationed in a Small Boat Station if you are interested in learning about it. Don't be afraid to ask any and all questions you have. I'm here to help coasties in the making,

"The most exhausting thing in life, I have discovered, is being insincere.” ― Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    22 Dec 2015 07:46 PM
    did you pick a small boat station or a cutter? how close to what you put down on your dream sheet did they get you?
    sofhiaxx

--
    23 Dec 2015 10:31 AM
    I picked a small boat station as my first choice and the rest of my choices were cutters. The dream sheet locations are divided by districts, my fist choice was district 1, and I got Eastport, ME which was a location in that district. I picked Alaska as my top choice in the comment side below the list and I received the next best thing, as I was informed.
    "The most exhausting thing in life, I have discovered, is being insincere.” ― Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    23 Dec 2015 10:41 AM
    that sounds awesome. did everyone else in your class get as lucky as you? how does the whole list thing work?
    sofhiaxx

--
    23 Dec 2015 04:38 PM
    One person in my company actually got Kodiak, Alaska which was my first choice. And at least 5 people got Hawaii which were their first choices as well. You pick 7 different districts with open billets(jobs) by order of favorite to least favorite and then you leave an extra comment to entice it to fall in your favor.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    23 Dec 2015 05:55 PM
    ok fair enough. seems like they really do work with you on your choices as best as they can. thats good to know. thanks!
    AGoldsmith

--
    11 Jan 2016 02:28 PM
    Hi there- My brother is currently at boot camp and has been reverted 3 times. He started in ECHO 192 and is now in HOTEL 192. The first time he was on probation and didn't log something in his book, the second he physically passed out and was late to watch, and the third time he was on probation and failed it. I'm sure we are not getting the full story, but it's difficult to when we only can talk to him for a couple of minutes every time this has happened. Because of the holidays his 3 reversions have added an extra 6 weeks to his time there, so he's turned 8 weeks into 14. He already has his orders and as of this last reversion seems confident he will complete boot camp, but I think we are just a little confused as to why this keeps happening. Any advice? I think this is his last chance.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    11 Jan 2016 06:26 PM
    I'm sure you're not getting the whole story. It just seems like he is having a hard time adjusting to boot camp environment. Not sure why its happening or what is happening. It usually not just 1 single thing that gets somebody reverted unless its a big thing and breaking a fairly big rule. I'm not sure what he would not log that would get him in trouble but the physically passing out thing and being late to a watch is not a thing that happens typically and if it did, he would be in medical and there would be other tests going on. The more likely story is that somebody woke him up for his watch and he went back to sleep. Not saying that happened, but its more likely. I'm not sure what failing probation looks like because they didn't do probation when I was in boot camp but it seems like more of a lack of adjusting, not able to follow directions, or no sense of urgency type of things. Its hard to tell. I do know that even if he has orders, it doesn't mean he is for sure going to graduate. I'm sure everybody hopes he does and is doing everything they can to get him there.
    AGoldsmith

--
    12 Jan 2016 11:34 AM
    Thanks mkelly. He was in medical after he passed out and they ran blood tests. It wasn't clear if anything of concern came back on the blood tests but he was still reverted. I agree, he must be having a hard time adjusting- even though hes been there for almost 12 weeks! I am definitely questioning if he is the right fit for the Coast Guard, but he is still there and pushing through so until we hear otherwise we are just hoping he can get through these next two weeks and graduate. He just his wisdom teeth out last week- I have to think with all the Coast Guard has invested in him that they want to see him succeed and graduate.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Jan 2016 12:01 PM
    If he passed out, was in medical, had blood work... I don't believe that was a reversion. I have a feeling that was being rephrased. More or less the same thing, he is pushed back to another company. The difference is reversion is typically viewed as a punishment for having done something incorrectly. Rephasing is due to an injury, typically something out of the recruits control. He might have been in medical long enough to not be able to keep up with his company. So they rephrased him to the next company behind. And yes, sometimes 8 weeks does suddenly become 10, 12, 16 weeks because of reversion, rephrasing, injuries, failure to adapt, all sorts of things.

Don't doubt his commitment or his drive or his place to fit in. He has gotten this far, he really is trying, I'm sure. You are correct that they have gotten him there, they have gotten him a long distance already, they want him to succeed. Once those feet become boots on the ground, as it were, in Cape May the CG wants them to succeed. They want recruits to pass. They also will not pass someone that isn't ready. Right now, boot camp is the hardest thing he will ever have done at this point. But when there is a crisis, a SAR case, catastrophic engine failure on his cutter, a shipmate goes overboard accidentally... It will all make sense why they demand so much and stress them to the points of breaking. Because in those situations, they can't break. Lives could literally depend upon them NOT breaking. Keep writing, keep encouraging, he will get through this.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    AGoldsmith

--
    12 Jan 2016 12:28 PM
    Thank you Old Guard2. I appreciate your response! That is very important, and a great reminder. I know this is the hardest thing he has ever had to go through, but it's been pretty hard on our family as well! I'm sure he has grown up a lot in a short period of time. Really hoping and looking forward to seeing him succeed in this.
    FrankMV

--
    12 Jan 2016 11:01 PM
    How do you described the admiral's shoulder boards?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    13 Jan 2016 06:37 AM
    Posted By FrankMV on 12 Jan 2016 11:01 PM
    How do you described the admiral's shoulder boards?
    04 silver stars below 01 anchor behind 01 shield on a field of gold.

the zeros have to be pronounced. zero four, zero one, etc.
    Loronus

--
    14 Jan 2016 11:01 AM
    Yeah I know Goldsmith we started in Echo together but beyond that if he does make it we had a shipmates in Foxtrot who actually developed a spinal infection and will be at Basic for close to a year after he goes through rehab and gets fit for full because he doesn't want to quit. I can't say anything about your brother's situation even I don't know the full story but I let you know he is trying and I have seen him change during the time I spent with him. He has made some mistakes but he kept working through them and I wish him the best of luck and that he keeps going.
    AGoldsmith

--
    14 Jan 2016 12:54 PM
    Thank for writing that Loronus. Unfortunately we got the call today that he has been discharged. I feel so bad for him. I know he was trying and he really didn't want to quit. I'm not sure what kind of mistakes he kept making but I'm sure he is pretty disappointed in himself.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Jan 2016 11:21 AM
    I am so sorry about that call. There really aren't words, but don't let him beat himself up.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    sharpimaging142

--
    07 Feb 2016 05:21 PM
    Did you have MK1 Dupre?
    sofhiaxx

--
    14 Feb 2016 06:27 PM
    YES I DID. He is a great company commander and I was lucky to have him as one.
    sofhiaxx

--
    14 Feb 2016 06:28 PM
    Did he return home? Did he explain why he was discharged?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement