Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Once again Kyle and the Lone Star in the Crosshairs
Last Post 02 Jan 2016 10:59 AM by m1ashooter. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
scoutdad25619

--
27 Dec 2015 07:00 PM
    Kyle,
    Hoping you and yours came through the storms okay. I'm pretty certain we're all thinking the same thing here... When you get a minute to breathe, let us know.
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Dec 2015 09:59 AM
    I spoke to Kyle Saturday night. He and his family are all good. However all around him is a mess, disaster really. I don't live there anymore but so sad to see my one time home such a sight. So sad.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    29 Dec 2015 06:41 AM
    Well, he and his family being okay is good news. I heard Garland was hit and he was on my short list of people who crossed my mind. Thank you for the update.
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    30 Dec 2015 02:17 PM
    Severe devastation in the immediate area...I and my family were within a mile of the tornados path and all the tornado sirens all around were screaming in the dark of night for about an hour while 9 tornados threatened the area and several of those touched down causing mass destruction and death. The night of the storms was my regular duty shift however I was on a vacation day and at home with my wife as we watched it all unfold on the news. We were prepared to take shelter and hope for the best, but were blessed and really did not even have any wind to speak of, it was rather calm with a little rain sprinkles through out.

My fire apparatus driver at the fire house, who was on duty and his wife and son were at their home was within less than 1 block from the deadly devastating path of the EF3 in Rowlett, it stopped just short of his home. His wife and adult son were taking shelter in their kitchen pantry as power went out with the sound of a train roaring down on them, and as quickly as it started it ended. They were one of the lucky ones in that area. My brother in law as well was less than a few blocks from the path as they desperately tried to gather the panicked dogs together and seek shelter as well. He described the noise as being right next to a train very loud and clunky. They thankfully only lost their lawn furniture, they have no idea where it is. When looking at the path of the tornado and the destruction line on the aerial overview maps, the tornados path was in direct line to their house but for some reason diverted to the east when it past them before coming back west into its original line path. Had it not done that at that moment it would have gone right through them...so blessed they were not to be hurt and the only damage was lost patio furniture. As we look at photos and news reports, some house are just a pile of timber and debris and the house right next door is hardly touched, and places that people took shelter are the only areas left with any structure as the rest of the house is demolished...miraculous might be the word.

The fire and police department responded great with the limited resources that they had, then were supplemented with surrounding cities fire and police, all that they could spare and did an outstanding job pulling victims from debris, triaging injured victims, organizing apparatus and ambulances to respond, shutting down gas and water until those departments could arrive. Incident command was established along with staging and branch sectors, and all departments worked very well together and did an outstanding job...very proud of them and even more so of my crew who represented my fire house fabulous!

The power company did an outstanding job and had power to the areas reestablished in a few short days...there were sooo many utility trucks and workers in the area, I would imagine every employee was activated and every piece of equipment was on the scene in hours. It was impressive.

Community charity has been astonishing, so much so that many of the places collecting had to stop due to not being able to store all the excess, they are asking and looking for available warehouse and storage space at this time. Too see and hear of this is just so awesome. But on the flip side of that awesomeness is and was all the people that flooded the area just to take pictures and even loot the area, my crew stated that it was very difficult to get around the damaged area from all the debris scattered everywhere, then to add all people and their vehicles that did not belong there that it was an absolute nightmare to try and respond to the areas being called too for help. It got better as the night went on as more and more police arrived to help secure the scene and run off the looters and those looking and taking pictures.

This storm system started way south in Ellis county spawning a few tornado touch downs along the way to Garland causing damage. The tornado that hit Garland and Rowlett they are saying was at a strength of an EF4 in Garland and when it crossed the lake it weakened some to a EF3 in Rowlett. It came across the 190 tollway and I30 hwy overpass and just whipped those cars off the overpass plummeting them down to the ground, just tragic as I am sure they had no idea the tornado was even there. The same storm cell then worked its way north and a few other tornados spawned hitting Copeland and Farmersville and Blue Ridge, it also killed 2 in Copeland. This path north of Garland along Hwy 78 is when it came very close to Joni and I. They are telling us that the last tornado of this caliber hit the area in 1965. FortWorth had a tornado go through downtown a few years back knocking a bunch of glass out of a high rise and some smaller damage from that, and back in May of 1993 on Joni's B-day a tornado hit down less than a mile from our house and went up through Wylie and towards Farmersville, very similar to the last half of this current storm. That one hit a few rural homes but mainly was over the lake before dying down quickly. Joni and I when we first moved to the Garland area were out feeding our horses when some powerful straight winds came roaring through...we took shelter in the hay stack and thought for sure we were down for when the sheds roof went flying away. These weather clusters are so powerful and happen so quickly.

Thanks for thinking of us and all those affected by the storms. Thoughts and prayers are with them and we wish them a fast rebuilding and getting back to normal routines.

Be safe my friends and please enjoy all the little moments life brings to you!
    Kyle
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 Dec 2015 06:31 AM
    Kyle, I saw those cars swept off the overpass... I can't imagine how terrifying that must have been. I always said to Scott some of those were like riding a roller coaster... Climb so high then weeeeeeee down the other side. Unbelievable. Glad you and your family, crew family too, are all ok.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    02 Jan 2016 06:18 AM
    Kyle,
    Glad to hear you, your family and company are good. Even better your home was spared. Some friends of ours in Kemp had a close call as well. You see this stuff unfold on the news and can't do anything about it...
    Happy New Year, Brother.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    02 Jan 2016 10:59 AM
    Glad we had a limited loss of life. The response is how Americans respond in times of need. I just wish these events didn't happen.

May God Bless Texas and all the server her.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement