Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
preparing for A school
Last Post 03 Jan 2016 01:32 PM by Bells. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
rugbyk82

--
30 Dec 2015 09:10 PM
    I should be reporting to Yorktown in less than a couple of weeks however I feel I am headed into it blind. I do not know what all I should or am expected to bring other than the required seabag items. Am I responsible for my own class and study materials? Should I invest in a bag/backpack to use to bring to classes?
    Are there any out of pocket costs we are expected to pay when we get there?
    I know there is limited space in our racks and rooms but I want to make sure I arrive prepared.
    Also if the convening date is on a Monday what should I wear to report the previous night? (Trops, ODUs, civies?)
    Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.
    jsurfs

--
    30 Dec 2015 09:56 PM
    I sent you a pm.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    30 Dec 2015 10:42 PM
    When it comes to CG schools, in my experience the CG will always provide you with the bare minimum that you need to get by. In theory you could report with just a full seabag and pretty much have everything you need. The only thing I can think of that you would have to spend money on is toiletries and laundry detergent.

Classes are similar to those in boot camp in that they provide you all the notes, handouts, pens, and highlighters that you need. They will even provide backpacks or laptop style bags (ours were loaned to us) so that your class can be uniform when marching around base. Of course it's up to you if you want to buy an extra notebook, notecards, etc to study with.

Depending on the length of your school, you may want to invest in some creature comforts like your own sheets and blankets, a latop, a tv, etc.

I'm not sure if Yorktown is the same, but for Petaluma you can show up to check in to your room in civies, but you report Monday morning in trops. Your orders or your class adviser should give you details on reporting.
    rugbyk82

--
    02 Jan 2016 05:42 AM
    Thanks for the replies, I assumed my orders and class adviser would get me more info on reporting however I am supposed to be reserved in the class beginning 11 Jan but still do not have official orders. Being a reservist I know I a had reservation for this convening date at one time since I could not have gone to basic without it, but with the Direct Access shutdown I am still up in the air with everything and without official orders as of yet. I also have not been able to access my CG email since the shutdown so I do not know if I have received any communication with any from the TRACEN. It is a bit of a predicament I suppose considering I need to leave a week from tomorrow to get there.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    02 Jan 2016 01:52 PM
    Posted By rugbyk82 on 02 Jan 2016 05:42 AM
    Thanks for the replies, I assumed my orders and class adviser would get me more info on reporting however I am supposed to be reserved in the class beginning 11 Jan but still do not have official orders. Being a reservist I know I a had reservation for this convening date at one time since I could not have gone to basic without it, but with the Direct Access shutdown I am still up in the air with everything and without official orders as of yet. I also have not been able to access my CG email since the shutdown so I do not know if I have received any communication with any from the TRACEN. It is a bit of a predicament I suppose considering I need to leave a week from tomorrow to get there.

If you don't have orders in hand, then you don't travel, regardless of what you've been told.  Those orders are what authorize you to travel to TRACEN and also are what's going to get you your plane tickets.

Check your CG email Monday AM.  If there's nothing, get on the phone to TRACEN. 
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    rugbyk82

--
    03 Jan 2016 05:17 AM
    Luckily I am driving up there but I am definitely getting concerned. I was also told I should go through my chain of command and not to contact TRACEN myself. My Chief is suppose to check on everything tomorrow. I am curious however if for some reason I do not get orders for this convincing date, as a reservist will I have some flexibility in what date I am to get another reservation? Obviously I want to go as soon as possible but I have some obligations I have scheduled around this A school date that are not as flexible as I wish they were.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    03 Jan 2016 01:22 PM
    As a Reservist, you do have flexibility in scheduling your dates. The only thing to check is whether or not there's some clause in your enlistment contact that requires you to complete A School in a certain amount of time. And, yes, let your Chief do the talking with TRACEN
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    03 Jan 2016 01:32 PM
    Also direct access has been down for the last two weeks so if you didn't get orders before hand you probably aren't going. But check your email this week, and DA,.they'll be there if you are going
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement