Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AF or CG
Last Post 01 Feb 2016 09:02 PM by AirDale13. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sirbrodis

--
30 Dec 2015 10:54 PM
    Good evening,
    I am currently 29 years old, married of 6 years, no kids. I am in DEP for the AF with Fire protection on my contract.  My CG recruiter gave me a buzz saying i am qualified for the CG and said if i want to switch he would be more then happy to get me in.  I am interested in ME, and AST. any good advice or experiences from ME or AST, or anyone's experience with life in the USCG. Also if anyone who has switched from the AF to the CG.  Thank you for your time.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    31 Dec 2015 07:54 AM
    AST is the best job in the coast Guard and I'm pretty sure its the best job in the world. Going through school at 30 though is hard. The body doesn't recover like it used to.
    ME and AST are 2 completely different jobs. Maybe there is another job you'd be interested in as well. I'd make the switch if I were you. The Coast Guard is an amazing place to be.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    31 Dec 2015 10:50 AM
    I'm a former USAF Officer who has a son leaving for Cape May in a few weeks. The question you should ask yourself is why are you joining the USAF and what interests you in the USCG. The USAF is very different then when I was in because of all the base closures but you still could end up at Minot or Malmstrom which are very very cold, or the desert or Korea or a Stan country.

If you like water, ships and small boats and the mission of the USCG then thats where you should focus. You are also married and you need to take that fact into consideration. Military spouses must be able to stand on their own two feet, they must understand the mission is more important then them. In the USAF you maybe sent on a remote assignment or deployed or long TDY's and she will be alone but those assignments aren't as many now.

In the USCG if you are assigned to a cutter then you will be probably gone away at sea for six months out of twelve and your spouse will be alone. Military life can be very tough on relationships.

A fighter fighters job is the USAF isn't very exciting, base buildings don't catch on fire very often and aircraft normally don't crash so you will spend a lot of time hanging around the station. If you are looking for a job with a chance of more adventure then continue to explore the USCG. You could be on a cutter in the Gulf of Alaska or the Gulf of Mexico or a small boat station or a Aids to Navigation billet. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my USAF life but I later discovered I like the water verses the great plains.

Good luck,

I knew nothing about the USCG when I made my decision to join the USAF, knowing what I know today I would have joined the USCG instead of the USAF.
    sirbrodis

--
    31 Dec 2015 03:32 PM
    thank you for your responses. I was very interested in the USAF, however I like the mission of the USCG. I feel like I can make a career out of it more. Thank you again for your time. if anyone else has more info on the CG way of life feel free to chime in. Thank you.
    FrankMV

--
    31 Dec 2015 09:02 PM
    Hello sirbrodis! I was in that position (also a AF dep) and right now I am waiting to go to the USCG boot camp. That happened because of ignorance and taking decisions fast. Any doubt with the process of getting out the air force hit me up.
    Speck_D

--
    21 Jan 2016 10:15 PM
    Hello,

I would agree that the USCG would be better for a family. Station life is pretty much like life at a firestation, on two days, off two days. On your off days you can go home and hang with the family. Further, if you want to be at a small boat station, you have a very good chance, so it would probably be better for your family situatition. As for AST or ME, well I would say depends on what you want to do for your family. AST is a hard A school, takes about 6 months with a 30% success rate (I think). Air station life is good, but it can be hard to make it as an AST. If you are looking for a good balance between work and home, I would suggest something like SK or YN at a sector or small boat station. If you want to have more of an exciting role you could go BM which is essentially all of the perks of ME with out the training, plus the A school list is shorter for BM so you can make 3rd easier and get a little kick in pay . If you want a break from the wife and kids get on a cutter, they are gone form 1-4 months usually and to nice places like south america i hear. But the USCG does a great job of honoring family life, and having grown up in a navy house, I can say that the coast guard truly does care compared to other branches. Do some research, ask some questions, and choose wisely!

Best of luck.
    sirbrodis

--
    24 Jan 2016 05:57 PM
    Awesome response man. Thank you so much.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    24 Jan 2016 06:42 PM
    Also, if you plan on making the CG a career, you'll find BM has far more opportunities for command positions, (e.g. Officer in Charge of a Small Boat Station or 87' patrol boat)
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    sirbrodis

--
    24 Jan 2016 08:42 PM
    That's really good to hear.  Because my goal is officer so sorting out which branch will offer the best opportunities was important.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    25 Jan 2016 11:47 AM
    If your goal is to be an officer, then the USAF is not the way to go unless you are going to be a pilot.  The pilots in the USAF run it, they have a better union.  A non pilot officer is really a second class citizen.  Pilots have better promotion opportunities and command opportunities.
    Gabe474

--
    25 Jan 2016 05:10 PM
    Is a 29 yr old without prior service eligible to enlist in the CG?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    25 Jan 2016 05:55 PM
    Yes with a waiver. I was 29 with no prior military when I joined.
    sirbrodis

--
    01 Feb 2016 03:05 PM
    Yea I'm 29 and my age waiver was approved but my CG recruiter can't submit my re3 waiver u till I'm out of AF DEP. which makes sense. But he and another coast guard recruiter I spoke with feel that my chances are very good of my re3 being approved.   Just hard pulling the trigger to get it of the AF DEP cuz if for someone the CG did deny my waiver I'm screwed haha.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    01 Feb 2016 08:53 PM
    Posted By Gabe474 on 25 Jan 2016 05:10 PM
    Is a 29 yr old without prior service eligible to enlist in the CG?

You can join up to 30 without a waiver if you have a bachelors degree and up to 32 without a waiver if you enlist into a critical rate.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    01 Feb 2016 09:02 PM
    Posted By sirbrodis on 01 Feb 2016 03:05 PM
    Yea I'm 29 and my age waiver was approved but my CG recruiter can't submit my re3 waiver u till I'm out of AF DEP. which makes sense. But he and another coast guard recruiter I spoke with feel that my chances are very good of my re3 being approved.   Just hard pulling the trigger to get it of the AF DEP cuz if for someone the CG did deny my waiver I'm screwed haha.

So you need an RE3 waiver and an age waiver? That doesn't make sense. RE3's are given to folks with previous service. You wouldn't be in the DEP for AF right now if you had prior service. What is this RE3 waiver your talking about for?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement