Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Just father learning about what my son is signing up for
Last Post 01 Jan 2016 03:13 PM by OldHM. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
OldHM

--
01 Jan 2016 10:54 AM
    Hi,
    I'm just a dad who's kid is wanting to serve in the Coast Guard. I served in the Navy back in the 80's. I know things have changed since I went to boot camp at San Diego. I just have one question is the BM rate in the coast guard the same as the BM rate in the Navy? I know we called BMs deck apes, and other not so pleasant things. Reason why I ask is my son wants to be A BM. All i see is him having a paint scraper in one hand an needle gun in the other for his whole enlistment. He wants to be an ME, but his recruiter told him the wait is to long for A School. You can do the same thing as a BM. So why have the ME rating if the BM does the same thing? Maybe someone can answer that question? And my rate was HM2 in the navy. 
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    01 Jan 2016 11:17 AM
    A BM in the USCG is a lot different. I'm sure a BM will come along and give a much more precise answer than I. BM's serve as Coxswains, thus they will be involved in every mission the USCG carries out, including law enforcement. They will serve in different roles at each station they go to so their LE involvement will vary. BM's also serve in command roles and will be part of the command cadre. As you can see there is more to a BM than painting and such. They are the backbone of the USCG force. They are the biggest rate thus assignment possibilities are abundant. ME's training and assignments is focused on law enforcement so wherever they get assigned they will be doing those type of duties in whichever capacity is required at the unit.
    No recruiter should tell a prospective applicant that the "wait" would be too long for A-School. If he wants ME or whichever rate he decides on, he should go for it despite the wait time. He will be actively engaged in the USCG mission, learn a lot, and experience a ton. Good thing is that he chooses his rate after joining the USCG at his first unit so he should be able to make an educated decision at that point.
    OldHM

--
    01 Jan 2016 11:55 AM
    Thanks, I know a recruiter will try and fill the billets that are in need of at that time. I don't think he tried and steered my son in to something he didn't want. Your answer is very close to what my son gave. He told me there are lots of options as A BM then any other rate. He wants to make the cg his career, and he wants the most variety he can have. Thanks! I'll pass the word.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    01 Jan 2016 03:10 PM
    If your kid is going active, the recruiter really has no say in what rating the kid chooses because most recruits enter the fleet as a seaman or firemen, and they make their A-School choice after having been at their first unit for at least 4 months.

In the reserves, rating choices are dependent on available billets in the area.
    OldHM

--
    01 Jan 2016 03:13 PM
    Thanks. I think that might be a good way to find the right rate. Instead of being pegged into a rate that doesn't serve them or the coast guard. Maybe thats why you coasties have such a high retention rate.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement