Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Districts after Boot Camp
Last Post 29 Jan 2016 08:39 AM by Gears. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
EstuardoA

--
19 Jan 2016 12:02 AM
    Is there a list somewhere of the most commonly chosen districts? I ship for Boot Camp Feb 2nd from Florida and i know about the dream sheet but I'm curious if there is a certain place most recruits choose? Also, going off topic now, are there any close quarters combat training in Boot Camp? Like hand to hand or anything like that?
    Loronus

--
    20 Jan 2016 08:47 AM
    It depends on what you want and what is critical or needed. My company had a lot of people choosing district 1. We also had an opportunity for a single female to be assigned to the Barque Eagle which a lot ducked out of. I hear a lot of recruits choose the districts for Cali and Florida.

You don't get close quarters combat training in boot camp. I don't believe much if anything in the coast guard offers anything like that. I know at petaluma the fitness center has a class for Judo but that is something optional.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Jan 2016 12:35 PM
    There is pugel stick training. But hand to hand, close combat drill, no. There are no lists of commonly chosen. People pick what they might like. D1 if they want NE, D14 if they want Hawaii, D17 if they want Alaska. The question is penguins or palm trees, where would you rather? For us, palm trees would have been a killer. We wanted penguins and got Alaska. We were very happy.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    20 Jan 2016 01:20 PM
    Posted By Loronus on 20 Jan 2016 08:47 AM
    It depends on what you want and what is critical or needed. My company had a lot of people choosing district 1. We also had an opportunity for a single female to be assigned to the Barque Eagle which a lot ducked out of. I hear a lot of recruits choose the districts for Cali and Florida.

You don't get close quarters combat training in boot camp. I don't believe much if anything in the coast guard offers anything like that. I know at petaluma the fitness center has a class for Judo but that is something optional.

There's some arrest and control tactics in BO/BTM School, but that's about it
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    EstuardoA

--
    20 Jan 2016 04:51 PM
    I'm from Florida so palm trees bore me. However, I'm also not a huge fan of penguins haha I think i am going to go for D5, I want to go somewhere with snow, but also id like to actually see seasons. Not very much of that here in Florida.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ocelot Jones

--
    20 Jan 2016 09:34 PM
    Posted By EstuardoA on 20 Jan 2016 04:51 PM
    I'm from Florida so palm trees bore me. However, I'm also not a huge fan of penguins haha I think i am going to go for D5, I want to go somewhere with snow, but also id like to actually see seasons. Not very much of that here in Florida.

Literally, my exact thought process. 

I spent 2 years in Maine.
    cgsaga

--
    21 Jan 2016 11:35 AM
    Posted By Loronus on 20 Jan 2016 08:47 AM

When they chose D1, do you know where most of them went? I want to know the likelihood of getting ny, which I'm sure is not much.

If not ny, I'd love to go somewhere hot hot hot! Completely different from NYC.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Jan 2016 12:37 PM
    There is no way to analyze that sort of data. No one here would even know. Keep in mind you can ask for NY, Puerto Rico, Miami and Hawaii... There are ZERO guarantees you won't get Kodiak, Alaska. You are putting so much thought into this and it is a matter of where the detailer sends you. They attempt to get you where you want to be but if there are no nonrate billets available, you get where there are billets and that can be anywhere.

When Colin enlisted he had a guaranteed D1. This was 7 years ago and you requested 12 actual billets, not just 3 or 4 districts. Of the 12 he requested, he got exactly zero. He got something completely different... In D1 but it wasn't anything even on his radar. It turned out to be a great experience, he met the love of his life, he learned a lot, he wouldn't trade that time.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Loronus

--
    21 Jan 2016 07:04 PM
    Yeah I think only 3-4 people got exactly what they asked for. We had one guy who asked for Puerto Rico he ended up in Miami while 3 others who wanted Florida ended up in Puerto Rico. I don't think anyone was generally upset outside of a few who got what they wanted then had their orders changed because of berthing issues.
    joseywalez

--
    22 Jan 2016 04:55 PM
    They seem to give the opposite of what you want. I asked for any Cutter in the Coast Guard and got a station. You can ask all you want for D5, but have fun in D17!
    cgsaga

--
    25 Jan 2016 09:29 AM
    Hmmm I see, basically just get the idea out of my head that there are any guarantees whatsoever.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 Jan 2016 11:51 AM
    Be open minded about where you want to go, and keep in mind your first assignment is going to be a short one, probably not more than 2 years. Start researching and determine what's more important to you. Do you want a job in a general location or would you prefer a specfic type of unit? My dreamsheets have always reflected a desire for a job I wanted, the location was always secondary. I've been very fortunate to always get what I've asked for.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Jan 2016 12:57 PM
    Oh Gears, I can't wait until you ask for your next specific JOB and get the Great Lakes again! Welcome Home Chief!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 Jan 2016 07:53 PM
    I can't wait until I ask for my next job and put down all west coast billets! I'm gonna move in next door to FloridaGirl!
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    25 Jan 2016 09:17 PM
    Someone spoke my name?
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Jan 2016 06:53 AM
    I'm coming to visit!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Jan 2016 08:39 AM
    FG, I'm gonna need to know all of the great mountain biking spots out west. Use your great powers to plug me into the social pipeline.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement