Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Older recruits
Last Post 14 Feb 2016 11:56 AM by Speck_D. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Destin85

--
29 Jan 2016 12:11 AM
    Couple of questions. I am shipping out February 9th, looking through the helmsman I noticed a lot of CG boats and they all look very similar. How much of that do you need to know? Also any advice for a 30 year old going in?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    29 Jan 2016 06:14 PM
    We had a pretty old company compared to the other companies when I was in. Granted I was at 20 yrs old when I enlisted. Biggest complaint they had was the amount of ignorance and immaturity with the younger crowd. They will tell you in boot camp how to distinguish different boats also small boats have their boat size on the hull number.

I'd recommend working on your patience towards the younger guys. You gotta think most of these kids fresh from high school have never seen the real world or been yelled at before in their life. Be encouraging as you can and know your stuff.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    29 Jan 2016 07:24 PM
    Look out for your shipmates. I was the oldest (29) of an otherwise very young company and a lot of them just hadn't been through the level of stress that boot camp creates. You don't have to be a squad leader or company yeoman to take a leadership role in boot camp. Be the mature guy/girl when people start bickering, or when people are struggling, and especially when you see people missing home or questioning their decision to be there.

At the same time, don't dismiss them just because they're younger. Some of the best recruits in my company were the youngest.
    804life

--
    29 Jan 2016 10:38 PM
    I am currently 27 about to be 28 in April. Did you have to get an age waiver for being over 28? That's one thing I was worried about. My paperwork is taking a while to be complete. And I need to wait on a medical waiver once I finish MEPS.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    30 Jan 2016 06:36 PM
    I went boot to A which raised the max age to 32. I'm not sure if that's still the case. I've heard they do grant age waiver now, though.
    Destin85

--
    30 Jan 2016 08:23 PM
    Thank you for the info. I will definitely be there for them if they need it. Didn't know about the boat size being on the hull that good info.
    Destin85

--
    30 Jan 2016 08:24 PM
    I am prior service so the age limit goes up to 32 for prior service.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    01 Feb 2016 06:36 PM
    I turned 29 my second day in boot camp (I got an age waiver). If anything, it's easier if you're older and more mature. It probably wasn't as stressful or intimidating for me to be yelled at by someone in their mid-to-late 20s when I, too, am in my mid-to-late 20s. My body broke down a bit more than the 19 year-olds, but I was still in the running for the physical fitness award.

Other than maybe a half a dozen questions on written tests, I don't remember ever being asked to distinguish between types of Coast Guard vessels while in boot camp.
    USCG STA New York, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    07 Feb 2016 11:19 PM
    Hi Destin85,

I was older in boot as well. Being prior service, you know the game. Just move and follow orders. Speaking of orders, know your general orders in The Helmsman and be familiar with CG/Navy paygrades.

Best of luck!
    chobg

--
    09 Feb 2016 05:59 AM
    I am doing the same thing its been over a year and I am still waiting on my age wavier to go through. I will be 30 next month.
    Speck_D

--
    14 Feb 2016 11:56 AM
    Hello,

I just found this video on youtube for joining if you are older:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kqKRlO906k

I was a little older as well and found that it was an advantage. The biggest issue was that I had to deal with the BS that the younger recruits were doing, but it was all part of the game. The advantage was that I could stay focused, and knew what needed to be done. The CCs didnt scare me as much, and I knew I wanted to be there which really helped.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement