Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
discharge
Last Post 11 Oct 2018 04:36 PM by gorskiseas. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mar_

--
13 Feb 2016 06:33 PM
    What is psychological discharge?
    What are the consequences?
    What happens when is the recruits decision? 
    What happens when is the commanders decision?
    Speck_D

--
    14 Feb 2016 11:17 AM
    Hmm we had a few people get discharged for this, I am not an expert but here is my take on it:

The only real way for someone to quit (besides something physical) is for them to claim that they are mentally unfit for duty. So say you are in week 2 or 3 and absolutely hate it, you have to go to your lead CC and say you cant take it anymore, mentally you can't handle it etc. They will make it difficult by saying all of the positives of the military, why you should stay, and basically pressure you into staying a recruit. If you are persistent, your lead will notify medical and after 2-3 days you will go in for an evaluation. From there you need to claim that you are mentally you cannot take it and you are mentally unstable, etc. They will evaluate you and after a day or two email your Lead saying you need to leave the company. Your lead will call you over and say "pack your shit" and from there you will go to DHE (discharge hold element?) where you will stay with until your original company graduates. The consequences are that your are discharged from the military, and you have to stay in RHE for a weeks until your company graduates. DHE looks like an unpleasant place, but I cannot say as I havent been there. That is what happens when it is the recruits decision. As far as the command goes, well I am not sure that they make the call. Most likely they will notice that you are lagging and not getting it, and from there will most likely go through the process of anyone who is not getting training: red belt then reversion, then reversion. At some point they will probably talk to you and see what is going on and you can say that you cant take it and want out, and the previously mentioned will take place. Dont go to boot camp to try it out, only go if you are 100% committed to graduating.
    mar_

--
    14 Feb 2016 01:38 PM
    Thank you for answering.

So the recruits goes to DHE and he/she is supposed to be their until their company graduates!? I thought that those who were discharged have to go through and exit process and then go home on the next Friday. I didn't knew that they had to wait until their company graduates.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    14 Feb 2016 02:32 PM
    its punishment for being a quitter.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Feb 2016 07:09 PM
    I don't believe they remain in DHE until their company graduates. I believe it is a week, maybe 2, then thanks for playing and buh bye. What benefit would it serve to pay, house, feed and clothe someone for an additional amount of time when they are just being sent home anyway. Let's not forget medical if they get hurt or intentionally try to hurt themselves to find a way out. No, I do not believe they are held there until the original company graduates.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JDMD

--
    14 Feb 2016 08:56 PM
    The BM Rating Force Master Chief just talked to our unit the other day about that, he said it was one to two weeks after your (former) company graduates, they'll send you home.
    mar_

--
    14 Feb 2016 08:58 PM
    Thanks Speck_D and Old Guard2 for the information.
    modernwarfare

--
    14 Feb 2016 09:16 PM
    To clarify, the reason that you stay until your company graduates is to deter people from quiting without putting thought into because things are hard the first couple of weeks, only to ask to return to company a few days later when they are in DHE. This rule was created due to a large amount of quitters in my company, Delta 191. HSCM Berry sat uus all down and said they investigated and found one person would decide to quit, talk to someone else and it spread like wild fire.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    judoka64

--
    16 Feb 2016 10:23 PM
    Depending on when they get to DHE they either leave that Friday or the following Friday. If there is medical or admin issues it might take longer. They don't have wait for their company to graduate for them to leave. That would just be wasting the taxpayers money.

DHE is like prison. You get your one phone call home and after the you clean in the morning you just sit in a room all day. If your lucky they might have detail for you to do. At night you get to watch TV after chow. The CC's would always come in and tease us.
    Madcoastie

--
    01 Mar 2016 10:38 AM
    If you are in DHE because of a medical discharge, not bc of doing anything wrong - WHY are they treated so badly? Why are they not allowed phone calls? And are they allowed legal representation?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Mar 2016 12:41 PM
    They are not treated badly. They are given medical care, generally very good medical care. As far as phone calls, they are still active duty Coast Guardsman in boot camp. there are still rules that must be followed. That includes limited to no access to phones. Just because they are awaiting discharge doesn't mean they aren't still obligated to follow the rules. I'm sorry you are frustrated with the situation and the lack of contact but this is the military. This is the way it is.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    HDFmadinus

--
    04 Apr 2016 09:19 PM
    As someone who had the unfortunate experience of being discharged in boot camp last year, I can clear some things up.

Firstly, you'll only stay in *RHE until your company graduates if you quit (AKA "I request to dis-enroll.") HOWEVER, it was around a holiday when I got out and there was an influx of quitters (some had medical issues they recovered from but didn't want to go back into training) and they were all quickly pushed out and sent home without waiting for their company to graduate.

Secondly, people aren't treated badly in DHE. The CC's don't know everyone's reason for being there and most likely don't care. The CC's watching DHE shift around and some are nice and some are strict, or both. When not on the regiment, you can talk to most CC's as a normal person but some will want you to still address them by rank and name rather than sir/ma'am. At the galley you can get any drink or dessert unlike RHE. During the day, you sit in a hallway and can read books or talk until a cleaning assignment comes up (there's something to clean everyday, be it the entire Sexton Hall or the gym or classrooms). If there's a new company coming in, you'll be preparing gear for them and cleaning. A lot of goofing around slips by but people get reprimanded and punished with extra cleaning and other tasks. One time a CC came in and caught someone sleeping, they told a few of us to gather around and watch as he yelled to wake the guy up. It's really not that bad as long as you behave.

CC's leading companies like to tease RHE and DHE every now and then but that's no biggie. They tease RHE more but I think it's mainly to keep them from getting too comfortable before jumping back into company.

The only thing I noticed is that getting any medical care while in DHE is a bit of a joke unless you're on the floor dying. People are only there for one to two weeks so they don't really care to do much. While I was in DHE, a shipmate had to buy his own cough drops from the exchange because medical wasn't going to hand anymore out. The guy who slept above me got some kind of flu for a few days (we all had the crud by default) but was turned away by medical.

You do get a single phone call each time you move between companies, RHE, and DHE. It's still boot camp until you walk out the gate, that's just how it is.

*Quitters stay in RHE with people who have medical reasons or got reverted. Once their discharge papers start to be processed, they'll move to DHE.

I've written a lot so far but if anyone has questions, I don't mind answering.
    ed209

--
    05 Apr 2016 01:02 PM
    Can I ask why you still read the CG forum a year after you were discharged? Are you trying to get back in?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Apr 2016 01:37 PM
    Anyone can read this forum. It isn't only for those currently serving or have served. I like that we have a spectrum of people, varying differences, varying experiences.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ed209

--
    05 Apr 2016 06:16 PM
    Sure, I realize that but just wondering if he was in the process of trying to re-enlist, how it was going. If he was making any progress.
    HDFmadinus

--
    11 Apr 2016 11:35 AM
    It hasn't been a full year yet but yes, I've been thinking of trying to get back in. I'll speak with a recruiter soon. I figured it wouldn't hurt to keep up to date with what's going on.
    Ritabr

--
    21 Apr 2016 11:05 AM
    How long does it take for you to re enlisting and go to bootcamp again?
    HDFmadinus

--
    30 Apr 2016 05:31 PM
    When leaving Cape May, they tell you to wait 6 months before trying to reenlist again. Then it's however long it takes to get a waiver should the recruiter agree to work with you.
    gorskiseas

--
    11 Oct 2018 04:36 PM
    I was just wondering if you had started the process of coming back into the Coast Guard?  Or if you had come back and went to boot camp?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement