Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
What determines if you are a Fireman or Seaman out of Boot Camp?
Last Post 24 Feb 2016 09:49 AM by modernwarfare. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
curiosussira

--
18 Feb 2016 05:03 PM
    Same as title.
    GoldenSmiles

--
    18 Feb 2016 06:41 PM
    Whatever they need you as is my understanding of the situation upon being a non-rate out of bootcamp. OldGuard2 or chukles may have a better response, but I am pretty sure this has been answered before. I hope this helps. It mostly means topside work or helping MKs out below decks.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Feb 2016 09:41 AM
    What Golden said. If a ship needs someone in engineering, Fireman. If a ship needs a deckie, Seaman. Don't worry which one you get, it has no bearing on what you can choose for a rating and A School. Some are worried that if they are a deckie, they'll have to be a BM or a fireman and they'll have to be an MK. Nope, just where the ship needs a body at the moment.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    curiosussira

--
    19 Feb 2016 10:59 AM
    Do most non-rates get assigned to cutters?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    19 Feb 2016 12:08 PM
    theres a pretty big chance you will end up on a cutter right out of boot camp. although, its not exactly guaranteed either. you can also end up at a small boat station. who knows!

i think the majority of non rates go to cutters though.
    modernwarfare

--
    21 Feb 2016 05:12 PM
    When you fill out your dream sheet you can put down if you prefer Fireman or Seaman and if that is more important to you or the location of where you end up is more important. When you get to where you are stationed you can tell them what your preference is and ask if they have an opening if you weren't assigned what you want. Someone at my station wanted to be a Seaman and said so when he called from boot camp and they switched him.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    23 Feb 2016 10:27 PM
    Posted By modernwarfare on 21 Feb 2016 05:12 PM
    When you fill out your dream sheet you can put down if you prefer Fireman or Seaman and if that is more important to you or the location of where you end up is more important. When you get to where you are stationed you can tell them what your preference is and ask if they have an opening if you weren't assigned what you want. Someone at my station wanted to be a Seaman and said so when he called from boot camp and they switched him.
    I would not recommend asking to switch before you even report to your unit. It seems really unprofessional to me.

Also understand that not all units will allow you to make the change. On our boat they generally only let you switch if you have a demonstrated reason to - you are a deckie putting your name on the MK list, for ex - and there's an opening.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    24 Feb 2016 12:34 AM
    Depends on qualifications also
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    modernwarfare

--
    24 Feb 2016 09:49 AM
    He requested to be a deckie because of the rating he is going. to clarify I would not recommend asking before you report, it is simply something I observed. they gave me a choice when I arrived, but I don't imagine that is a choice many non rates have. and if you do it needs to be because of a purpose, not i don't like painting or I don't like touching grease. I asked the be a fireman because i was interested in Aviation and they don't pick many non rates for airstations.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement