Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Degrees you already have???
Last Post 21 Feb 2016 05:11 PM by m1ashooter. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
NJEMT

--
21 Feb 2016 12:40 PM
    If I have a degree in Emergency Management and a certificate in Homeland Security will that help me in anyway, getting a better position, higher pay grade, etc? I talked to my recruiter and he said that I should show my commander at my first duty station. I am just wondering if anyone has experience with this. Thanks!
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    21 Feb 2016 01:08 PM
    If you have a BS/BA my understanding is you will be payed as a E3. There are some rates that have enlistment bonus's. What better position and higher pay grade are you looking for?
    NJEMT

--
    21 Feb 2016 01:24 PM
    I am looking to hopefully get GM or ME rating? I also have several different certifications for technical rescues in multiple different disciplines along with my EMT. Does the rating you go into determine what you will be going in as? Mine is am AAS program but it is still considered an associates.
    NJEMT

--
    21 Feb 2016 01:34 PM
    And by better position I meant do you get a better pick on where your duty station would be based on your prior education.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    21 Feb 2016 02:08 PM
    Unless you enlist for a rate that is paying a bonus you will enter the fleet after you complete basic as a non rate. Once you complete basic you will be stationed where ever the USCG needs you. I don't believe an associates degree with get you more money. Have you taken the ASVAB yet? ASVAB scores and how well you perform as a non rate at your first assignment will determine what rate you qualify for. Each rate has a min score based on your testing.

Always remember that the Needs of the USCG come before the needs of the person. Focus on this fact and forget that you have a Associate Degree and be the best Seaman you can be.
    NJEMT

--
    21 Feb 2016 03:17 PM
    I was just curious if it effected your pay rate because I heard that if you have a bachelors you can go in as an officer. I did my ASVAB and everything already and scored high enough to be applicable for all rates. I am not just waiting to ship to Cape May in April.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    21 Feb 2016 05:11 PM
    To be an officer you do have to have a BA or BS degree. But having one only allows to to compete for the very few officer slots that open every year. The primary method to fill new officer positions are from the Coast Guard Academy, if the graduating class can't fill the open manpower positions then other sources of commissioning are used. These other sources contract and expand depending on the needs of the year.

It is very competitive to get selected for officer training because there are more people interested then positions available.

I hope this helps.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement