Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Leaving Bootcamp after week 1
Last Post 14 Mar 2016 04:43 PM by AirDale13. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SBM

--
01 Mar 2016 11:04 PM
    So my fiance left for bootcamp on the 23rd and we received a call that he would be home this friday due to the fact that his mile was not good enough. now we dont know what this means and what is yet to come and that was the only information we got can someone please help! we are so confused
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    01 Mar 2016 11:14 PM
    i think he may have failed to pass his run test. the CG has gotten real strict about that first week PT test. its a pass or go home deal.
    SBM

--
    02 Mar 2016 03:15 AM
    that is what it sounds like to me too but were just unsure what happens from here and what the repercussions are
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    02 Mar 2016 06:41 AM
    He will be discharged with a RE (reenlistment code) 3. He will be told that he can try again in 6 months with an approved waiver. With as much work we put into getting recruits ready we do not process those waivers. It takes time and effort to put someone in and a waiver takes time and effort also on the recruiters part. He already didn't respect that and showed up not ready. If he is being sent back for his run it means he ran his 1.5 mile run over 14:08. This is very unfortunate for him. There was plenty of time to prepare for boot camp and we do a lot to prepare folks mentally and physically. There are some that just do not take it seriously and do not prepare adequately. As far as the USCG is concerned the opportunity is lost. He can still attempt to join another branch but they will need to process and approve the waiver. When he contacts his recruiter he will most likely receive the same answer I'm giving you. I've personally had this happen to 1 of mine. He was in the process for about 9 months, married with a little girl. When we first met I gave him a PT test and he did poorly. I did this because he was a procrastinator and "talked the talk". I did everything I could to help him, even held his ship date back. He did overcome some applicant hurdles and he would have had a great career. But he just didn't take it seriously. He was sent home, called me to tell me that he would be ready for sure in 6 months. I did feel bad but he had brought it upon himself so I had to tell him no. These are the times where being a recruiter isn't fun. It does bother us because we care about the people we put in. When they don't do their part; its on them. Just trying to be straight with ya. Good luck.
    SBM

--
    02 Mar 2016 12:22 PM
    Thank you so much that was very helpful!
    seentheseas

--
    10 Mar 2016 07:28 AM
    Posted By AG305 on 01 Mar 2016 11:14 PM
    i think he may have failed to pass his run test. the CG has gotten real strict about that first week PT test. its a pass or go home deal.

AG305-
    I see you post a lot about various topics and yet you haven't shipped to boot camp yet yourself.  So- what you see on here and what really happens are two different things.  

It is not a cut and dry pass/fail PT test week one.  
    Everyone was given the written standards. There are requirements and expectations.  You can "fail" the pt test and still form in company.  But you can also bomb the PT test and get sent home.  Seek guidance from a qualified recruiter.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    10 Mar 2016 07:51 AM
    Posted By seentheseas on 10 Mar 2016 07:28 AM
    AG305-
    I see you post a lot about various topics and yet you haven't shipped to boot camp yet yourself.

and does that matter? i get my information directly from my recruiter and/or very trusted sources on this site and others. now, unless everyones been lying to me i trust in their knowledge.

i know alot and for sure boot camp is gonna be easy for me in the knowledge department because ive put in months and months of studying and researching. im not waiting till i get a ship date to then start studying. if i can help people along the way with what "little" i know all while i go though it myself then so be it. its a trait that im sure will translate into being helpful to my future shipmates later.

i havent found a 100% real answer for the whole first week PT test. some say its by points, some say its pass or go home. more have said it was the latter so thats why i tell people its a pass or go home deal. it shouldnt even be an issue though, a person should come in prepared to excel NOT get by with the bare minimum. just like ive studied for months, you should also train for just as long or longer.
    cgsaga

--
    10 Mar 2016 08:42 AM
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Mar 2016 09:23 AM
    I think AG305 is referring to the required knowledge, the stuff he does have access to now, ahead of boot. He is prepared and ready to go and that will be easy for him. I'm sure he isn't referring to stuff he has never even heard of before. That part will likely be difficult, as it is for most. What he can prepare for, he has. I commend him for that. There are many that think they can cram a week or 2 before boot and be ready. Most will fail miserably trying to do it that, not fail boot camp completely, but fail in the aspect of having a much harder time by not preparing.

Also, we have discussed the pass/fail issue on here. He is also correct in saying we've heard it is a points based thing, you can fall slightly short on one aspect, if you excel at another. We've also heard 1 second too long, 1 push up too few and bye bye sailor, you are sent home. Whichever it is, his point is BE PREPARED. Be Semper. Go there expecting if you do not pass, even exceed, the standards, there is a really good chance you will be sent home. AG isn't the best Coastie God ever put on this planet because he isn't a Coastie yet. But he has contributed, helped, offered assistance, offered his opinion and done it gracefully. And do we know he won't be the next Bernie Webber or Douglas Munro? Nope, we sure don't. So instead of knocking him down, how about correcting nicely or offering something beneficial.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    10 Mar 2016 01:02 PM
    Posted By AG305 on 10 Mar 2016 07:51 AM
    AG305-
    I see you post a lot about various topics and yet you haven't shipped to boot camp yet yourself.

and does that matter? i get my information directly from my recruiter and/or very trusted sources on this site and others. now, unless everyones been lying to me i trust in their knowledge.

i know alot and for sure boot camp is gonna be easy for me in the knowledge department because ive put in months and months of studying and researching. im not waiting till i get a ship date to then start studying. if i can help people along the way with what "little" i know all while i go though it myself then so be it. its a trait that im sure will translate into being helpful to my future shipmates later.

i havent found a 100% real answer for the whole first week PT test. some say its by points, some say its pass or go home. more have said it was the latter so thats why i tell people its a pass or go home deal. it shouldnt even be an issue though, a person should come in prepared to excel NOT get by with the bare minimum. just like ive studied for months, you should also train for just as long or longer.
    Searching the Internet and forums will never yield a solid answer in regards to the 1st week PT test at Cape May. Why? Because Cape May changes requirements for forming often. As of now the regulation in place has been the longest lasting and I'm confident it will remain that way. I can give you and everyone else a 100% answer though. If you can pass the graduation requirement before shipping out you shouldn't need to worry about the 1st week PT test. Currently the run is the thing that will send you packing before you even start boot camp. I need to go, I have a PT test to administer. More than 50% wont pass the graduation requirement and sweat bullets when they ship out. They will form; however, and struggle physically for the next 8 weeks. Again I say: Meet graduation requirements before shipping out. That's all you need to know for the PT test. 

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    10 Mar 2016 06:10 PM
    Well said Airdale13. My son is there now and the recruit in the lower bunk didn't pass his sit ups on the final. One can control the general knowledge and the PT prep. Failing the PT test is all on the recruit.
    cgsaga

--
    11 Mar 2016 10:16 AM
    Posted By AirDale13 on 10 Mar 2016 01:02 PM
    Posted By AG305 on 10 Mar 2016 07:51 AM
    AG305-

Searching the Internet and forums will never yield a solid answer in regards to the 1st week PT test at Cape May. Why? Because Cape May changes requirements for forming often. As of now the regulation in place has been the longest lasting and I'm confident it will remain that way. I can give you and everyone else a 100% answer though. If you can pass the graduation requirement before shipping out you shouldn't need to worry about the 1st week PT test. Currently the run is the thing that will send you packing before you even start boot camp. I need to go, I have a PT test to administer. More than 50% wont pass the graduation requirement and sweat bullets when they ship out. They will form; however, and struggle physically for the next 8 weeks. Again I say: Meet graduation requirements before shipping out. That's all you need to know for the PT test. 

Thank you for this.
    modernwarfare

--
    14 Mar 2016 12:49 PM
    i know someone who graduated a couple of weeks ago and failed the initial pt run by 10 seconds and she was there during the holidays when there wasn't another forming company and had an extra long time there. she trained for the minimum and could pass it at home but stress, lack of sleep, ect often brings one's performance down. she was lucky they put her in PFE and she eventually graduated, over the past year there are many who were not afforded this opportunity. Trust me, you will thank yourself if you put in the hard work and are not one of the people who have to stress about if you can pass the pt tests or not.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    14 Mar 2016 04:43 PM
    If you miss the graduation requirement by 10 seconds, it's ok
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement