Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Tossing Around DCE idea... Qualilty of Life???
Last Post 15 Feb 2019 10:19 PM by hessamoddin. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
OaklandET

--
13 Mar 2016 11:48 AM
    Haven't contacted a recruiter yet, but thinking about getting the ball rolling.  Just wanted to see if anyone has done this and can offer some tips about life after signing up for the DCE program.  
    I am married and own a home near a C4IT center (Alameda, CA).  I'm one semester from graduating and still drilling with the reserves. I'm wondering if I were to spend the rest of my career as a DCE, is it possible to maybe spend it without being moved around the country or spending years as  a geo-bachelor.  Ideally I'd like to just sign up, go do the officer training, get the commission and come back to the bay area and serve.  Plenty of cutters and units here to make it a career location.  Is this a realistic expectation or should I just keep hunting for civilian employment?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Mar 2016 07:28 AM
    To say oh it would be easy to homeport and never leave the Bay Area would be a lie. It might not be impossible but it will never be guaranteed. Not in writing and not in theory. You would have to expect to be moved. If you are dead set on uprooting, civilian life it is.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    OaklandET

--
    14 Mar 2016 09:27 AM
    That's the gamble I guess.  I know plenty of enlisted folks that have hopped from here to Petaluma and back for most of a career.  But I only know one DCE electrical engineer in this area and it's hard to put a bet on stability with those kind of odds. Thing is, I'm at a point where I only have 6 years till I've got my 20. I'd see no problem roughing it out in Virginia for a while for the payoff, but the wife...holy shit.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    23 Mar 2016 12:25 PM
    Your expectations are far from realistic. As an active duty officer, you could not even expect to spend the rest of your career on the West Coast. Getting back to the SF area and staying there, not likely.

But I wish you luck if you try
    vintendo

--
    11 Apr 2016 06:46 PM
    Just for a frame of reference, I was selected for DCE on the last panel and almost all of the billets were in or around the beltway. I'll be spending the next few years in the DC area...maybe longer! The 3 outside of it were WV, NJ, and Portsmouth, VA.
    Saving user accounts daily.
    hessamoddin

--
    15 Feb 2019 10:19 PM
    Most of your options for first assignment as DCE are limited to Northeast (or beltway as the above comment mentions). After that, like any other Officer you can request an assignment to anywhere from Alaska to Florida, or in your case Bay Area. The reality is that even if you could manage to live all of your career in one geographical area, it is not really recommended. Remaining in one specific area will limit your career options and even may reflect limited exposure to CG operations. The problems that CG deals with in Florida are different from the ones it deals with in Alaska. That said, it may reach temporary geo-stabilization. A bulk of C4IT billets are concentrated in D.C. "area" (using the term loosely). Some billets exist in different command level in Alameda and Oakland too, so serving back to back to any of those areas are feasible.

p.s. I picked these regions just as an example.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement