Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
The Finest Hours Crew Tidbits
Last Post 06 Jun 2016 08:10 PM by MastersMate. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MastersMate

--
15 Mar 2016 06:42 PM
    In the movie, Boatswain Daniel Cluff is depicted in the uniform of a CG warrant officer.  Is that  particular warrant officer grade in existence in the present day Coast Guard ??
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Mar 2016 07:36 AM
    I saw the movie but honestly didn't pay attention close enough to even know what the insignia was on the sleeve/collar.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    MastersMate

--
    16 Mar 2016 06:06 PM
    The specialty of Boatswain is still in use in the Coast Guard, but, the grade of Warrant Officer is no longer used. The three grades of CHIEF Warrant Officer are currently in use in the CG..
    MastersMate

--
    22 Mar 2016 09:52 PM
    In the crew scenes at the station, all the crewmembers are wearing the dungaree working uniform. In a couple of instances, one of them is addressed as 'Chief".

Since he was not wearing the khaki working uniform, what uniform item would have identified his rate ??

Bonus, what slang expression that may be used today to reference a CPO originated years before . 
    Clancy

--
    23 Mar 2016 05:45 AM
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but I believe the individual in the dungaree working uniform addressed as "Chief" would have been identified by his combination cap with CPO cap device. I have a photo of my father - ENCM, USCG (Ret.), deceased - in dungarees and a combination hat with khaki cap cover; the photo was taken on the Storis in the early 1950s. You stumped me on your second trivia question.
    MastersMate

--
    23 Mar 2016 07:32 AM
    Bingo !!!!
    MastersMate

--
    29 Mar 2016 05:58 PM
    Before Bosn Cluff was appointed as a Warrant Officer, his rating was CBM(L). Just what does that tell you about his rate and his prior CG service ??
    tugger

--
    29 Mar 2016 06:37 PM
    If I remember correctly CBM is Chief Boatswains Mate and the (L) means " Leading". (seniority)
    MastersMate

--
    29 Mar 2016 10:33 PM
    Chief Boatswains mate -- correct

L -- still looking
    MastersMate

--
    31 Mar 2016 08:53 PM
    L - would designate that he originally enlisted in the Lifesaving Branch of the Coast Guard. That branch was discontinued about late summer of 1939. The ratings of Boatswains mate (L) and Motor Machinists Mate (L) were the petty officers. Non rated personnel were designated as surfman, instead of the seaman rates of the cutter branch....
    tugger

--
    02 Apr 2016 10:27 AM
    Good info MM. Learn something new every day!
    MastersMate

--
    02 Apr 2016 08:52 PM
    SN Maske volunteered to be a part of the crew on the CG 36500. He was waiting at Chatham Station for transport to the POLLOCK RIP.
    What was the Pollock Rip?
    Clancy

--
    04 Apr 2016 12:45 PM
    I believe Pollock Rip was a lightship; good trivia question.  

Did you go to QM and SM school in the U.S. Navy Fleet Training Center in Newport, RI in the fall of 1966?  Your name and photograph are familiar.
    MastersMate

--
    04 Apr 2016 05:36 PM
    As I shake out the cob webs, I did indeed, November until end of Jan 67. There was an Ed Clancy in the class. Went to a southern district, Sebago maybe ?? I went to Walnut in Miami Beach..
    Clancy

--
    02 Jun 2016 12:00 PM
    Master's Mate,

I am indeed that Ed Clancy, but instead of going to the USCGC Sebago I went to USCGC Atka (later Southwind, WAGB-280) in Baltimore, MD.  I was on her 3 years, made 2 Arctic and 2 Antarctic deployments including an "Around the World Cruise."  Best duty I ever had of the 9 ships I served on during my 30 year career.   Besides sea duty, my shore duty consisted of 3 tours as USCG Yard Docking Pilot, 1 year in USCG HQ, and a real short stint at Joint Rescue Coordination Center (JRCC) in Honolulu, HI.  

My father was also USCG (ENCM) as was my sister (YN1) before she quit and married a USCG AD.  The only traitor in my family is my younger brother who joined the USN (Seabees) and retired as a BUCS (Senior Chief Builder) after 22 years.  I don't miss the USCG, just some of the people.  Sorry for the delay in answering your question.

Ed Clancy
    MastersMate

--
    06 Jun 2016 08:10 PM
    That shakes out a few of the cob webs..

It was Ivan Ben Aiken that went down to the Sebago. Lost track of him around the time he made Chief back in the 70s. He was over in the 8th at the time.

Kept in touch for a while with Pete McGowan. He was the SN that had the 67 corvette Stingray. He was in the Ariadne, a 165 over in St.Pete. I had a girl friend that moved to St. Pete so we all met up a few times.. Must have made good money as a SNQM / QM3  ..

I went to the Walnut in Miami and managed to stay aboard for a few months until a minor disagreement with management got me two weeks restriction, a bunch of extra duty, and the day after I got off restriction I was transferred over to Androscoggin. Best thing that happened to me. Got a white cutter that went somewhere. Got a bit of excitement on that cutter and the rest led to a fairly uneventful career finishing up with just about 23 years before the fun wore off..
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement